I need a CIS!

Tim K

TVWBB All-Star
It occurred to me the other day, that (please don't banish me from the group) I don't have any cast iron skillets. So my question is, where is the best place to look, and what brands should I look for? This is all Jim Lampe's fault. Every time I turn around, he's posting another awesome pic of something simmering in a CIS on one of his grills! Well anyway, the search has begun and any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Tim

If you can find Wagner, I think they are the best I've ever seen. I don't know if they are still made. Lodge seems to be the most available now at least around here. Wagner had a longer more curved handle which made them really nice to work with.

Amazon using this link is a great start.

Looks for an all CI pan or with a steel hanlde. That way you can use it on the grill/oven without thinking of a wooden handle. Then you just need to know what size you are looking for. i think a Big and a small one fits all needs,both indoor and for the grill. Although i would love to have a really small one like i se in some posts for blooming onions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like Wolgast mentioned, Amazon is good. And you can support this site by using the links at the top of the page. Target also sells Lodge and their prices are comparable to Amazon. Their selection is somewhat limited though, in my experience. But you can get the basics there.

If your using it for the kettle I would look for one without the long handle. Look for CI stuff at yard sales and junk resellers they are easy to refurbish. I've been searching for a dutch oven but no luck so far.

Tim, I'll take that blame ;)
As mentioned above, Wagner is a GREAT find, butt no longer made.
Lodge is everywhere, affordable and even their new line of preseasoned pans are very nice.
For Lodge, try one of these ACE HARDWARE stores located near you:

•8201 N NC Hwy 150
Clemmons, NC 27012

•715 W Main St
Jamestown, NC 27282

•31 US Highway 158
Advance, NC 27006

•9 E Main St
Rockwell, NC 28138

I have a large 15" skillet that i cut the long handle off for use in the Weber kettles.

DSCN2176.JPG

Also, an 11 inch and an 8 inch skillet...

DSCN2177.JPG

The Oval Server is nice, comes in two sizes (pictured below is the large)...
and a few misc. pots like the mini skillet (great for a single egg) and the Melting pot...

DSCN2180.JPG

Anyway, you can see more at the LODGE website.

Good luck, I hope you find a great pan or pans soon!

I agree with all the above mentioned! I have a smaller Wagner in my arsenal of CI and that sucker cooks super! With that being said! Lodge does real good and I have lots of them too! Try your luck at moving sales! It's simply amazing what folks will get rid of! Have of my collection I have picked up from sales like that and all were cheap!

If you can find it
b800b440.jpg

This 5 qt has been a great addition! The lid doubles as a handless skillet!

Happy hunting!

I have to say I rarely used CI (I have an oldie with a wooden handle but find that it's more trouble than it's worth at times) but I had reason to get a CIS for making some cornbread. The Lodge I got worked perfectly the first time (just rinsed it) so I'm really pleased with that brand.

I have seen and bought CI skillets at Walmart, Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, Cost Plus World Market, Restaurant Depot. I have seen Dutch ovens for sale at Walmart.

A 12 inch Lodge will work well in the Weber Kettle and fits perfectly with their heavier grate and the lift out it comes with.
IMG_1118.jpg
This combination is great for veggies, taters whatever in the pan and steaks, chicken whatever around the outside.
Notice the longer handle on the Wagner which may not be as suitable. This is a 10" and I have switched to my CI grate which I just bought on Kijiji. I have not used it yet.
IMG_1117.jpg

Tim,

Lodge is fine, and Wagner is available in any style you want on Ebay. If you have time, some of the best CI I have comes from estate sales and antique stores.

I have a few not as many as Jim. Wagner and Griswold are good and they are the most sought after. You will usually pay more for them. Some other brands to look for are Lodge (I think they are the only company still making CIS) Wapak, Erie (Early Griswold) Favorite. Just go to Google and type in Erie Cast iron skillet and you will get tons of places to look. I get mine from garage sales, tag sales, flea markets etc. or ask freinds or family you'd be suprised how many people have them and don't use them cause they are too heavy. I had a girl at work give me a Wagner and a Griswold. They were rusted a little but after a reseasoning they came out great. Just look for ones that sit flat and are not warped. If all else fails you can go to Ebay and type in cast iron skillet and find thousands to choose from but shipping might be a little high.

I have a few not as many as Jim. Wagner and Griswold are good and they are the most sought after. You will usually pay more for them. Some other brands to look for are Lodge (I think they are the only company still making CIS) Wapak, Erie (Early Griswold) Favorite. Just go to Google and type in Erie Cast iron skillet and you will get tons of places to look. I get mine from garage sales, tag sales, flea markets etc. or ask freinds or family you'd be suprised how many people have them and don't use them cause they are too heavy. I had a girl at work give me a Wagner and a Griswold. They were rusted a little but after a reseasoning they came out great. Just look for ones that sit flat and are not warped. If all else fails you can go to Ebay and type in cast iron skillet and find thousands to choose from but shipping might be a little high.

right on, right on! there are tons out there needing a home.

Academy Sports & Outdoors also sells Lodge, as well as a pretty decent selection of other outdoor cooking gear. I bought some natural lump there recently, and they even had big sacks of oak logs for sale.

I can't speak to a brand. Lodge is about the only one I see in the store and I've heard good things. We have 2 case iron skillets that we inherited. This things are at least 50 years old and maybe much older. I also inherited two dutch ovens.

Beware: Once you get one CIS you'll want more cast iron stuff. If it were left up to me, that's about all I'd cook on. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't see it that way. Heavy and you can throw it the dish washer.

Tim,

You are wise to look for a cast iron skillet (why stop with just one). I cook almost exclusively in cast iron. You can't beat them for versatility. What other cookware can you take from your range top and stick in a 500 degree oven or place on a campfire? I have a number of newer Lodge peices which I am perfectly happy with. They are affordable and will last a lifetime - and your kids and grandkids lifetimes if properly cared for. I have a CI DO which was a wedding present to my Great Great Grandmother in the 1870s - it is still making great food today.

Lodge is available at Wal-Mart, Ace Hardware, and Academy Sports among others. You can also find it on CL and at many many garage sales/flea markets. The Black Iron Blog is a great resource for all things cast iron and provides several articles on proper recovery, seasoning, and cleaning of CI cookware. Byron's Dutch Oven Cooking Page is another good resource.

Regards,

John

Back