I have the worst luck sometimes

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So as some may remember my water softener kinda bit the dust. (starting to discharge resin material). Good news is company is replacing it with a new one. Bad news is my water is like liquid gravel. So I get the great idea to protect my water using appliances to add a filter in the line from the softener to the house. Lately I have the absolute worst luck with plastic water use housings. Darn thing is dripping from the threaded fittings into the filter housing. I will likely need to pull down the whole thing AGAIN, buy new push on fittings (another $20 down the toilet) and figure out how to modify the mounting bracket sine it seems to be the culprit causing interference in getting the fittings tight. So for today it can drip :mad: I am beat trying to do that crap over my head. Can't see (either too close too far), arms tired. Mentally exhausted and now I have to go get Blake from school. I never used to have trouble with this stuff. WTH is wrong with me now?! Totally not looking forward to replacing the old water heater in daughter's house with the new HE tankless one they bought. Plus it's an old house she has. Hodgepodge of nightmarish plumbing with none of it done properly :poop:
I am too old for this :poop:

There came a time when my wife told me to stop killing myself fixing the house. I would spend a day fixin and 3 days recovering. We have a plumber and a lawn guy. I leave all that stuff to them. I'm slowly getting used to it. Hang in there Larry.

Today I diagnosed a leaking top load Maytag washer. The parts place said it was 30-40 y.o. ! They will get the parts in a day !
Years ago we gave up our new Maytag front load washer for my mother n laws old top load. Good decision. This is my first effort at appliance repair. Wish me luck tomorrow.

There came a time when my wife told me to stop killing myself fixing the house. I would spend a day fixin and 3 days recovering. We have a plumber and a lawn guy. I leave all that stuff to them. I'm slowly getting used to it. Hang in there Larry.
Yep, me too! I’m on a first name basis with my electrician, plumber and lawn guy!

The drip slowed a little, but tomorrow it'll be back to Menards, a couple new fittings, redo the bracket and fix what the mfgr of the filter did not make correctly

I feel your pain.
I just hate picking up tools anymore.
I’d rather just pay.
I used to be a contractor for most of my career.
My daughter now wants me to do all these jobs for her.
It never stops with her remodeling projects.

Be aware, the last few water heaters I did I needed to pump out because they would not gravity drain due to the crud that built up in them.

Be aware, the last few water heaters I did I needed to pump out because they would not gravity drain due to the crud that built up in them.
The gents who hauled the 40 gal. heater up the stairs did indicate that it was well loaded with sediment (hadn't been drained between 2009 and 2021, and probably well before that.) It was a '93 built heater.

You guys all sound like my husband. I can understand how difficult it is to start getting to the point that you can't/shouldn't do all the things around the house yourselves. We do have someone that cuts our grass. Thank goodness for that. But it is things that require him to get on a ladder that scares me. And a lot of other things. He is very slowly coming around to my way of thinking tho. I think tomorrow he is going to call someone to come fix our stove.

Keep your chin up Larry. I feel your pain. From reading your posts I know you've been a mechanical guy for many years even professionally. As one myself I'm sure you know, sometimes stuff just goes wrong. At the shop every so often I'll go through a phase where everything I touch just goes to hell. It's just one of those things.

Sounds like you have the right idea. Take a breath, walk away for a while and then get back to it. Most times it will just all fall in place after that. It's just the way she goes sometimes.

Yeah. one thing for sure I'm not hauling that thing anywhere LOL. It's up to the boyfriend. He's young and strong. I'm dreading the rats nest of plumbing that have been done since 1959 when the house was built. I thought my house was bad. But, at least it was all copper and now copper and PEX. I've gotta figure out how to pull the rats nest out, and mate it up to PEX. I intend to get the nice pex fittings, and the crimping tool.

My sister is a retired nurse and she told me when I turned 60 that I should no longer get on ladders, more men over 50(!) are admitted to the hospital with broken bones from ladder accidents than any other cause! So, I gave in the only ladder I need to get on is a six footer to do the garage gutters. Wife “suggested” we get leaf guards on the rest of the house. I didn’t argue, believe me!
I’ve never been much of a “mechanical” kind of guy, I can and do do some projects but, heavy or things that are better handled by guys in the trades? They’ve spent a lot of time and money learning and amassing the tools for their jobs, they all deserve what they are paid! Salutes out to all those guys! There are sometimes I wish I was better versed in some of those things but, I believe I letting pros do the things they have learned.

Yeah getting on the roof is my wife's job. I had some cheap leaf guards on my gutters but I had the guy who does a 2X a year deep clean on them take them off. The maple tree helicopters would stick in the holes and on the 70' run of gutter along the back of the house even a light rain would simply flow right over the top. So I had a "trench" along the back of the house. And then now twice I have had to pay my heating contractor to come out and re-level my AC unit. I need to find some type of gutter guard that does not cause water to flow right over the top. Or perhaps those things I saw on This Old House. They look like louvers and replace the gutters. Rain comes off and hits the louvers and is scattered away from the house.

Well I will say Water Boss company is sure on the ball. They shipped a new softener yesterday and it was delivered into my garage this AM. Good service. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get it into the basement and the other one out and how to dispose of it LOL

Complete new softener? Not just the resin column?

I used a furniture dolly when I pulled out the old softener and brine tank. The brine tank was about half full of a block of salt (started out as pellets.) Not a fun job, that's for sure, but the stair climber feature sure made life easier. If you're doing a full unit replacement, consider calling a rental shop and see about renting an electric stair climber dolly. A buddy of mine rented one of those when he moved after a divorce, and it was worth it's weight in gold.

Never heard of one. But, yeah they sent a complete brand new in the box unit. Last year my neighbor and I took it down the stairs. Oh well the fun just keeps on coming LOL

I feel your pain Larry... literally. My back is shot along with my feet, I can't even take my dog for a walk. I try to do yard work and for 3-4 days after I'm in constant pain.
We have a neighbor that has a handy man business, he now does a lot of things I can't do and charges me very little. At least I still have all my marbles, although Barb would disagree with that, I think. I try not to ger frustrated with it, but life goes on.

Gee Larry, I wish you had not had such a bad experience with a ales rep from Leaf Filter, I told The guy I didn’t need the dog and pony show, cut to the close and give me the price. After being in inhome direct sales some years ago I know how it works we had a great time, he laughed when I told him a really just needed the last couple paragraphs of the pitch. Nice kid, I was a pretty easy sale, I’d looked at the other brands and I thought this was a better concept.
And the whole thing took less than an hour and a crew was here that afternoon, knocked it out in maybe two hours? I’m very satisfied.

Yeah, I tried the same thing and told him I was actually dialing the police on the last guy and this one went into the whole same BS diatribe. Pricing all over the place. Starting out at $12k to do gutters and filters on a 1500 sq ft house! Then after listening to this fat sweaty guy and his kid no less for over an hour he gets down to "if you pull the trigger today" spiel and $5k. I hire the guy from across the street to do the deep cleaning on my gutters. Twice a year. I asked him about them, showed him the literature. He said he still has to clean those because they grow so much moss on them. IDK, I may just go "naked" for awhile and cough up the $120 year to have them done.

Back