I have the worst luck sometimes

Man.....those should have been some gold plated gutters.

We've had our gutters done twice since we bought the house in 2009. First time was to replace the old gutters that had been filled with open cell foam blocks as leave guards. DO NOT EVER FALL FOR THIS, they're just planters at that point. Last spring's hail storm caused a full roof & gutter replacement. New gutters have an improved design, and I'm pretty happy with them. Same gent did both jobs, found him through a national offroading board. Both times, he & a helper showed up, did the tear-off, new seamless gutters formed on-site, installed with leaf guards, and a full clean-up. Last job was about $3,400 for a 2,400' sq. ft. split bi-level house. I'd recommend him to anybody on the southeastern side of the Twin Cities Metro.

So, did you do Leaf Filter or another brand of leaf guards? Next year I will (if I keep gutters) likely have new oversized gutters installed. Then see how they work. I am told by using over sized gutters and then larger downspouts to help pass them. Or I may look into the other things

I asked my gutter guy about that a couple of hours ago. Sounds like a semi-custom product they have made locally for a standard roll formed seamless gutter. These helmets are both punched on top, as well as a rolled edge, so they trap water 2 ways, instead of the old style that depended on surface tension. Forgot to mention, these are now color-matched to the shingles, they blend in very nicely.

Oversized gutters and downspouts will certainly pass more & larger trash. How well that's going to work is going to depend on what falls on your roof. Our yard has several crummy Chinese Elms that have weak spindly twigs that drop all over the roof. The helmets we have work pretty good. I'd be nervous about that sort of trash collecting on top of the louvers mentioned in your video. Secondarily, you still have to have a landing zone below those louvers, I wouldn't want them over a doorway.

OK, we have got to stop talking about this stuff! As we speak,the temperature is dropping in the house, call to my furnace guy already placed! It’s going to get pretty cool in here before he gets here this afternoon!

Yeah, dropping down to about 12/13 and with wind chill even worse and OH BOY is there wind chill. Wind has been going minimum 30mph avg 40+ today. No sign of letting up. So loud it's hard to differentiate if it's an airplane landing at KRFD or wind howling. And they come low here. We can wave at the pilots LOL.
Would love to see a photo of those gutter guards or a link or whatever

Yeah. one thing for sure I'm not hauling that thing anywhere LOL. It's up to the boyfriend. He's young and strong. I'm dreading the rats nest of plumbing that have been done since 1959 when the house was built. I thought my house was bad. But, at least it was all copper and now copper and PEX. I've gotta figure out how to pull the rats nest out, and mate it up to PEX. I intend to get the nice pex fittings, and the crimping tool.
Larry, I would recommend using Pex A over Pex B. It's more flexible and easier to work with, the only drawback is that the expansion tool is a lot more money up front.

Larry, I would recommend using Pex A over Pex B. It's more flexible and easier to work with, the only drawback is that the expansion tool is a lot more money up front.
I'll have to look into this. I never knew there were different types #1, and then #2 why would something more flexible require a more expensive tool?

I'll have to look into this. I never knew there were different types #1, and then #2 why would something more flexible require a more expensive tool?
You can get a manual expansion tool for a lot less money but I ended up buying a Milwaukee battery operated one, it looks like a power drill.

I was today days old when I learned there are different types of PEX. Googled and found this.

Good explanation of the difference and helps explain why I decided to go with Pex A. The connections are more fool proof in my opinion as you don't have to worry about every crimp being perfect.

Good explanation of the difference and helps explain why I decided to go with Pex A. The connections are more fool proof in my opinion as you don't have to worry about every crimp being perfect.
I don't think it's anywhere I shop unfortunately

There are plenty of YouTube videos showing people installing both types to watch and help you decide what's better for you.

Hey, what did I say!? Stop this conversation! Now it’s become a new friggin furnace and AC (smarter to do them together than separately)
Chris lock this down before I need to replace a roof and car!!
A dishwasher begat a water softener, now that “Be Gattin‘“ a furnace… kind of putting a crimp on Christmas festivities!!

So I’m in California in good weather, uponor makes an amazing product. The only pex I’ve used has been with an expansion tool.
We did MILES of it at a 300 unit apartment complex, I can’t remember a leak that wasn’t caused by puncturing the tube.

I guess if it’s cold as F and you’re pex won’t regain its shape without a heat gun you may want to try something different.

So I’m in California in good weather, uponor makes an amazing product. The only pex I’ve used has been with an expansion tool.
We did MILES of it at a 300 unit apartment complex, I can’t remember a leak that wasn’t caused by puncturing the tube.

I guess if it’s cold as F and you’re pex won’t regain its shape without a heat gun you may want to try something different.
I don't think I would try and bend it into a 90, but it's pretty good stuff to work with from my limited experience with it. You still have to think about what you're doing in any case to avoid areas where you can't get a crimping or expansion tool on a fitting.

I've used PEX before. Not a clue of the type. Buy it from Menards. I use press on fittings usually (think Sharkbite though not that brand). Typically the plastic ones Menards sells Watts brand. Never had trouble with them.

Larry, you could probably use all shark bite fittings for that project and be fine. A lot of people swear by them and it's going to be exposed work in the basement anyway. If you have a leak it will be simple enough to diagnose it and fix.

Leaf Filter has a nice product but high pressure sales tactics and outrageous prices. I live in a nice neighborhood, and I must look gullible. Price quote started at $36k for my 3300sqft house and ended up at $19.5k (if I signed a contract that day only) before the sales guy left. My handyman charges $150 a year to clean my gutters. Let's say his price goes up to $200. He could clean my gutters for 97.5 years before I break even on the Leaf Filter gimmick! I am 70 years old so my long-term planning stops at about 25 years.

For reasons mentioned above, I stopped climbing on roofs and ladders at age 60. I am handy so I still do little fixit jobs around the house but no more heavy lifting.

Yeah, I guess you're right on the fittings. I have bought both Watts and Sharkbite brand. I have used the all brass Watts and the PVC ones on both PEX and copper with no issues at all. Witness the connections to my tankless water heater (installed April 2005) and never touched to bothered with. Nice and dry. Those are the Watts PVC fittings. On Pex (whatever type) I bought at Menards. I have a hodge podge of different brand and type mixed around the house (Watts brass and PVC, Sharkbite brass) no issues at all. The nice thing about that type fitting is they easily connect between different types of plumbing as well. Something I am dreading in working on daughter's house. And yes that IS a Weber Genesis control panel hidden in the photo. Pretty free of fade too. :D
1669902162962.jpeg

Back