I have the worst luck sometimes

I think I might just win to “Bad luck” cookie of the week, got out of the shower, shaved all neat and clean but, it felt cold! Long story short, new furnace and AC is next on the polishing order for this old turd! The furnace was put,in before we bought the house and dates from 1985 so. It really does not owe us anything, we did the AC about 25 years ago so, an upgrade isn’t out of the question on that but, jumpin’ jiminey!

I think I might just win to “Bad luck” cookie of the week, got out of the shower, shaved all neat and clean but, it felt cold! Long story short, new furnace and AC is next on the polishing order for this old turd! The furnace was put,in before we bought the house and dates from 1985 so. It really does not owe us anything, we did the AC about 25 years ago so, an upgrade isn’t out of the question on that but, jumpin’ jiminey!
Our old furnace was about 40 yo and 4 years ago we replaced it and AC unit with best equipment (best meaning most efficient) $$$ could buy. We've needed a service call every year since and the unit we took out was working perfectly (if not very inefficiently). One of the service calls was dues to condensation inside the furnace housing, dripping down onto a connector and causing some minor corrosion to the gas valve making it not turn on. Did some research on it. No more cold air intake for us. I disconnected that and simply let it inhale room air. Last week had another call. Humidifier not turning on. Me, figuring if it's a bad circuit board I ain't touching it for fear warranty would get turned down. Turned out to be simply a bad connection on the power lead to the solenoid. Yep ANOTHER $75 service call. But, the service tech noted my bypassed cold air intake and told me "smart move". He said when the super high efficiency units first came out, that fresh air went straight into the burner. But, now they simply lead straight into the main cabinet and said they do no good in an older house. Since old houses "breathe". So disconnected it will stay. IDK if I am spending my savings on fuel towards service calls :D I doubt it I guess. Old unit was maybe 60-70% eff, 125k BTU non modulating. New one 70K btu, modulating and variable fan speeds. Rarely runs at more than 40% output either. So bottom line I guess it never really needs more than 28K to warm the house. I guess it means every time this furnace kicks on I am saving nearly 100k btu of gas? IDK. The thing works really cool. Neat tech too. IT talks to the internet, the thermostat looks at current and predicted weather, current indoor conditions and requirements, then sets all the parameters. All very interesting

IT talks to the internet
That sort of thing makes me very uncomfortable. What happens if the far end servers are turned off? Okay, make that WHEN the far end servers are turned off. Nobody is going to run those Internet based services forever, they cost real money to make available, and if the revenue stream dries up (nobody buying data, no client based fees, etc.) they will get turned off. Oh, and your connections and data have to be highly protected. One of the rather significant issues is that your thermostat now can tell when you're not home. Yeah, I know.... everybody is gonna say that's a highly overrated risk. I'm not playing the lion game (just have to be mostly successful at hunting,) I'm playing the gazelle game (have to ALWAYS win at keeping away from the lion.) These internet connected features do have some dark sides. TVs. Entertainment in general. Refrigerators. HVAC. And the internet clients are utterly infamous at poorly protected communications.

Our house is only 18 years old, but we did have a circuit board go south on us in the middle of January we were without heat for two weeks until they could get a replacement board. Thank goodness the gas fireplace has a fan built into it and a couple of portable space heaters we survived it.

We don't have the feature on ours with sensors to know if we're home or not. It simply uses the internet to pull down weather info, compare it to interior conditions and requests. The uses those parameters to set the HVAC system to most efficient mode. I am more concerned about my Google Nest Hub and my Alexa Show. They will randomly start rattling off "information" based off something they may have "heard". Don't know about my Smart TV. IDK what kind of capability it has or hasn't. I do very much enjoy it though.

The guy that did the service on the aging furnace advised against the “WiFi enabled, high falutin fancy model” they work for 9.8 years then they start getting ”fussy”. Higher efficiency than the old one is a fine idea but, I’m not going to go crazy for the most amazing reads the comics to me on Sunday gets the news and tells jokes model.

I am more concerned about my Google Nest Hub and my Alexa Show. They will randomly start rattling off "information" based off something they may have "heard". Don't know about my Smart TV. IDK what kind of capability it has or hasn't. I do very much enjoy it though.
Any devices like Alexa are flat out banned on my home network. Okay, in truth, yes, smartphones are always listening. My client iPhone does have Siri turned off, and I've stopped using the Google Assistant.

Smart TVs.... hah. If you're using the built-in apps, it's phoning home with everything you're watching. The manufacturers are beginning to interleave ads from THEIR mothership based on what you're watching. It was discovered a couple of weeks ago that Samsung has the capability to "brick" their smart TVs remotely based on serial number (internet connection required, obviously.)

Well interesting finding yesterday. I typically buy WATTS fittings (plastic and or brass). Not because of any brand loyalty but simply because I hate going to Home Depot rather than Menards. But, trying to get those fittings to not leak on my water filter install was driving me nuts. I had made it up to 5 layers of premium Oatey Teflon tape still dribbles. Talked to a buddy, he noted many times he's seen fittings not fit very tightly in those plastic filter housings. On a whim I went to HD, and bought new Sharkbite brass fittings. When compared to the WATTS fittings the fit was much tighter. Not only that, no leaking. Also only 2 layers of tape could fit. Quite interesting on how different the 2 brands were. Guess I won't be buying WATTS fittings anymore.

I'm a little late to the gutter topic and have tried many screens, helmets, etc. My old neighbor had these flip gutters and they worked outstanding.

I'm dealing with an intermittent furnace problem now. The symptoms fit a diagnosis of bad/dirty flame rod, so I replaced the flame rod at the end of last winter. The problem is back again this winter, and of course once I call for service the thing starts working again and won't misbehave while the technician is here. If the furnace was easier to get to (and/or I was younger) I'd get a multimeter and do some troubleshooting.

I'm a little late to the gutter topic and have tried many screens, helmets, etc. My old neighbor had these flip gutters and they worked outstanding.
I am definitely gonna look further into this. Especially since I could use new gutters anyway

Back