Huli Huli Chicken

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Seeing @CaseT 's post the other day motivated me to cook this. My father has a very similar recipe, so I started with CaseT's, but went a little lighter on the lime and added some pineapple chunks and juice. Also used low sodium soy sauce. Turned out really well. I went indirect, though temps got away from me and I was around 425 for this cook. That worked out as a line of nasty storms moved in and I had to finish out the boneless pieces in the oven. And the petite baby Bok Choy I'd planned to grill was instead par cooked in the microwave, then quickly sautéed in a pan.

Here are the thighs, 5 or ten minutes in at the first basting. (after I took the chicken out of the marinade, I cooked it down and used it for basting every few minutes)

1591358254073.jpeg

Getting near done, rain is starting. Gotta be honest, for the 20-30 minutes prior to this, I was a little nervous running out to the grill every few minutes, basting, and turning the chicken w/ metal tongs. A lot of thunder and lightning before the skies opened up.

1591358340691.jpeg

All finished up and ready for the table:

1591358370417.jpeg

Your plate, with the aforementioned Bok Choy and some sesame Chukka Soba noodles.

1591358432882.jpeg

Oh Yeah! I bet that was tasty! The chicken is perfect! Love Bok Choy sauteed with onions garlic and a splash of beer or cider.

I did our now bi-monthly grocery run yesterday. I had been gettting really nice baby bok choy past trips. No so much this time around. Looked like they'd been in Doctor Banners laboratory and came out as the incredible Hulk version of Bok choy. The root ends were ad big as a softball and the leafs were 12" long! That's one big baby on steroids!

Man, the color on that chicken is incredible! Nice job, Jim. Glad you made it before it got too bad outside.

Looks prefect, like the sides too. We make Huli Huli about once a month never get tired of it.

Jim,
I can't wait to make this for the first time. Like others we are limiting our visits to the stores so I am still a week out from my next bimonthly run. It will be one of the first meals made after that shop though!

Wonderful looking cook Jim. Agree with Ed, the color is magnificent, accented by very nice grill marks. Bok Choy and Soba noodles are one of our favorites too.

I think that I shall never see.
A poem as lovely as a well-grilled chicken thigh.

Or something like that.

So thanks to Jim and Case I was able try another new dish. I got around to making this a few days ago. It was on Father's day eve, I thought that seemed fitting since all this huli huli chicken talk started with Jim's dad's recipe. I started to take pics and then the family all came outside and we started to play Uno while dinner cooked. We ended up bring everything outside and eating on the back patio, using my new father's day grilling table as a serving table. I used Cases recipe added pineapple, I made a double batch and saved about two cups one for basting and one to just warm up to serve. I made some brown rice, half whole grain and brown jasmine. The mix of rice was really good together, it was what I had in the clapboard. I loved the recipe but it was spicer that I expected, I will half the chili paste next time I make it. I made two left over lunches and had it on Monday and Tuesday.
So here it is marinating over night and before it hit the grill. IMG_20200624_233216.jpgIMG_20200624_233222.jpg
This is after the first flip and also the last pic I got because the joy of life got in the way!
IMG_20200624_233231.jpg
Thanks for another great recipe guys! Sorry I didn't get more pics.

Back