Huli Huli Chicken

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
In my back alley pork thread Huli Huli Chicken Came up. Here's my recipe from a friend in Hawaii. Yes I used Kiawe wood for the smoke. This is not a recent cook, but it was a good one. I didn't spin the spatched bird, but I do now with the Octoforks.

This is the base recipe a friend in Hawaii gave me. I usually make a double batch. I reserve a cup or so for basting during the cook.

3/4 cup, shoyu (soy sauce)
3-4 fresh squeezed limes
1/2 cup, honey
1/3 cup, brown sugar
3-6 garlic cloves - minced
3 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon mustard
2 tablespoons, minced fresh ginger
1 teaspoon Sambal oelek (Asian Chile paste) or 3-6 Hawaiian Chiles
1 teaspoon white pepper
Hawaiian Sea salt to taste ( I omit as I feel the Shoyu has enough salt)
Good amount of cracked black pepper

11708934764_4a2ee6ae76_c.jpg

11708988264_047680e799_c.jpg

11708861123_acca420c15_c.jpg

11708991364_5861770cd3_c.jpg

11709406036_bc474f1346_c.jpg

Really close to my Dad's recipe. He adds some pineapple though.
Jim I have used pineapple juice in place of the limes. The friend that I got this from grows limes, so that's probably why he uses lime juice. Another friend there uses pineapple juice.

Another keeper Huli Huli Chicken, Thanks Case.
I just got around to making Roadside chicken and it was tasty.

Case and Jim,
Thank you guys for introducing this to me, I have added the few ingredients I need for this recipe to my shopping list for the next time I go to the store and it will be made soon!!! I am going to go with pineapple juice, because I love pineapple juice, what do you guys think 1/4 cup? I will be reserving some of the Marinade to heat on the stove to cover the rice also. Case that looks so good, when will you be making this again?
Michael

Both look great Case. I would love to get a guided tour of your pantry has to be all kinds of different things in there.

Just back from my weekly grocery run and picked up the couple things I was missing for this. Looks like it'll be Huli Huli for tomorrow's dinner.

Both look great Case. I would love to get a guided tour of your pantry has to be all kinds of different things in there.
Yeah our pantry has a bit of everything in it for sure! Always lots of Asian inspired items as well as Hispanic. Then there's the off the wall items that I source online when I hear about the from a recipe. We're nevre lacking flavor that's for sure!

Back