HOW TO: Paint a Weber Genesis Cook Box the fast and easy way

Not sure. I've had it a long time and I picked it up used.
It's probably one of those things that was built well to begin with and there was no need to change it, more importantly, probably not cheapened up over the years. As for your comment about airless sprayers having a lot of overspray you are 100% correct. The last time I used mine was to repaint a ceiling that I had to repair the popcorn finish on in a large area due to removing two skylights. I spent far more time hanging plastic and covering the floor than actually painting. The upside is that it does a fantastic job and you only need one coat of paint if you sort of know what you're doing.

o A rectangular piece of paneling or similar thin plywood that is approx 3/4" to 1" wider each way than the actual bottom hole on the Genesis cook box that will be painting. It will be different, for Genesis 1000 deep boxes, Silver B, E3xx and so on.
o Something to stand the grill on up off the ground.
These two tips are worth double the price of admission. Thanks @Bruce !

I forgot to mention the higher end gravity HVLP guns use a lot less air volume and get even more paint on with less over spray. One advantage is the less air they use you get more paint on site and less in the air as over spray. But for an occasional spray person as myself, the Hazard Fraught ones are totally adequate and honestly do an amazing job. They make me better than I am :D

Yah, Larry, I think I would probably go with a $39 HF gun for my needs as well. I am not painting houses after all, just cook boxes, frames and end caps. I don't have a $350 need. I only have a couple months of rehabbing though and it seems like sales are already starting to slow even with the weather looking like it has no intention of giving way to the Fall seasons. I may wait until next spring at this point.

I think I’ll just get mine powder coated next time. No room for much and I don’t do enough to make myself build shop space.

Yah, Larry, I think I would probably go with a $39 HF gun for my needs as well. I am not painting houses after all, just cook boxes, frames and end caps. I don't have a $350 need. I only have a couple months of rehabbing though and it seems like sales are already starting to slow even with the weather looking like it has no intention of giving way to the Fall seasons. I may wait until next spring at this point.
Nice thing about HF is you can get into that style at VERY low cost. Yeah you're not gonna turn out show car finishes but, that's not what you're painting either

Nice thing about HF is you can get into that style at VERY low cost. Yeah you're not gonna turn out show car finishes but, that's not what you're painting either
It seems from the reviews that it is like most HF products and if you go into not expecting professional quality, you are fine. The people that seem to have bad impressions are the ones that think they are going to repaint their '63 Corvette and have it look like a body shop did it.

Even if a guy gets to a point that he feels the need to upgrade, the HF gun is a minimal investment and great way to get some experience and learn.

Timothy, if I was just rehabbing a couple grills a year for myself or friends/family, I would have the blaster guy just slap on some high heat powder coat as well.
Thanks Bruce, I was feeling like I was being lazy but, now I feel like, since it’s JUST mine, that I’m being more “cost efficient!”
I will probably do that next year.

Back