HOW TO: Paint a Weber Genesis Cook Box the fast and easy way

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
WHAT: This HOW TO will show you how I paint my Genesis grill Cook Boxes. This does not cover prepping the cook box or anything like that. That is a whole other discussion. I am just showing you the method I use to actually paint the cook boxes.

WHY: I have painted well over 100 Genesis cook boxes over the past 6 years or so and this is the method I developed that is the quickest and most effective.

What You Need:
o A cleaned and prepped Genesis cook box.
o A can of Rustoleum High Heat or similar spec'ed spray paint.
o A 5 gallon bucket
o A rectangular piece of paneling or similar thin plywood that is approx 3/4" to 1" wider each way than the actual bottom hole on the Genesis cook box that will be painting. It will be different, for Genesis 1000 deep boxes, Silver B, E3xx and so on.
o Something to stand the grill on up off the ground.
o For best results, read and follow painting recommendations for the paint you are using and make sure it is not a windy day.
o Paint rated filter mask (Do what I say, not what I do).

General Overview: First, place the cook box on the stand and paint the upper ridge of the cook box from the outside in. Keep in mind the direction of the over spray so that it isn't hitting the inside of the cook box directly. After that, remove the cook box, then place the 5 gallon bucket upside down on the stand, then place the rectangular board over that upside down. Center it so the board is fully under the cut out for the grease tray in the bottom of the cook box. Now paint the rest of the outside of the cook box without worry of getting any inside. Watch the video provided for more detail.

VIDEO: This video is full demonstration of the process I use to paint my Genesis grill cook boxes. Enjoy. If you have any questions, let me know.

Great idea Bruce, having the ability to paint the whole thing without flipping it over or masking off everything is huge.

Since I do a lot of them, I am always looking for a better/faster/cheaper way to do things. That is just what I came up with. If someone was doing a one time personal rehab, they might want to diligently tape everything off just to be safe, but this method saves me quite a bit of time and tape. Besides, any little bit of over spray is going to be grease covered after a few cooks anyway.

Too bad if you're doing so many you could not simply get the paint, mix a batch and use your compressor and a spray gun. More even and faster too.

Larry, I actually have a compressor now. I suppose I may have consider a spray gun, but I just like the convenience of grabbing a can, shaking it a little and spraying. Then just tossing it when empty instead of any kind of cleanup. But, I am sure it is a lot more economical so I will have to look into it.

Yeah it's not worth it to use a gun for one at a time. But, if you have multiple boxes ready to go, you can mix one batch, shoot them all and be done. Plus with the gravity fed guns you can get the plastic liners. Mix the paint, pour it in. Clean up is you throw away the liner, run solvent through the gun presto. It's done. Not quite as easy as throwing an empty can away, but darn close

Bruce, do you concern yourself with imperfections in the visible part of the cookbox (mostly casting roughness but some caused by me using the wire cup)? I'm wondering if I should try sanding them out or just let it be. Thank you for all you do here on this site!

Bruce, I have this gun https://www.harborfreight.com/painting/paint-sprayers/20-oz-hvlp-gravity-feed-spray-gun-56982.html then I use these disposable cups https://www.harborfreight.com/paint...-paint-system-starter-kit-17-piece-57508.html there is an adapter you buy it's like $6 or so. The guys at the store know which one. Plus I am thinking about getting this little gun for smaller jobs https://www.harborfreight.com/painting/paint-sprayers/120cc-hvlp-touch-up-air-spray-gun-61473.html The little gun likely holds enough paint to easily do 3 or boxes. I did not notice if they make disposable cups liners for that one though.
Once you have the hang of these guns you can di incredible work and fast
Nice thing about gravity fed. They're high volume low pressure. Meaning lower over spray, less waste and more paint on the project faster

Bruce, do you concern yourself with imperfections in the visible part of the cookbox (mostly casting roughness but some caused by me using the wire cup)? I'm wondering if I should try sanding them out or just let it be. Thank you for all you do here on this site!
Ralph, I got a little too aggressive on some lid end caps using a wire brush in my drill or angle grinder ( I don't remember which) Anyway I had a lot of wire brush marks left on the aluminum that I wasn't too happy about. I did sand them down and it helped hide the scratches. I could still see them after I painted them though.

When first starting out, I did quite a few cook boxes with a wire cup brush and never really did enough damage to a cook box to worry about. On the inside, no big deal as long as the structure of the cook box wasn't compromised. If you have deep scratches or grooves on the outside, it might show up after painting though.

Larry and Dan: Thanks for the info. I will look into it.
Can you spray most any kind of paint with them? Oil based, Latex, Deck Stain, etc.......

I have one of these, which is great for all different kinds of paints, stains, etc. One of its advantages is the pick up tube that you insert directly into your can of paint. It does have a couple of cons though. It's expensive, and you have to clean it out completely every time you use it. The paint guns that Larry linked are probably better for what you are doing, but probably not for bigger projects.Screenshot_20230724-184257.png

Can you spray most any kind of paint with them? Oil based, Latex, Deck Stain, etc.......
You can spray most anything. Although the guns I referenced are more suited to "automotive" type finishes (of which I count the cook box paint in that realm). As for not being able to do bigger jobs.............other than the little touch up gun, I fail to understand that observation. When you fill that cup you can cover an awful lot of sq footage without a refill.
Understand as well the guns I pointed out are inexpensive amateur type tools. Not meant for pros. But, I have found I can lay down a quite beautiful finish with it.
I'll bet if you lined up cook boxes and a full cup of paint (on the larger gun) you could line up 10 or more and maybe more. And do them with more consistency, better finish and less overall waste

The Campbell Hausfeld I have will do just about any paint, lacquer, stain, whatever. I'm not sure I would recommend it for smaller jobs like grills. I used it to paint a utility trailer and it was worth it vs. using rattle cans. I've had it a while but do not use it very often. A good compressor is required 4.3CFM @40 PSI is needed.

Larger jobs, like houses and garages I've used a 2/3 HP airless sprayer. I used it to paint a house a long time ago. Downside is tons of overspray.

For smaller jobs, like grills, I think a gravity feed would be the way to go but I haven't used one yet.

And, lastly for rattle can work: these are invaluable.

1690247937113.png

or the fancy version for twice the price
1690247821137.png

Last edited:

Back