HOW TO: Cleaning & Lubricating Weber Gas Grill Valves

I've done manifolds both ways and personally recommend at least trying the WD-40 method first to avoid stripping out the valve screws, which I have done. On the other hand, completely disassembling the valves seems to result in smoother operation because you can obviously be more thorough in cleaning and lubing. Even for removing the screws I recommend giving them all a shot of penetrant first to help loosen them up.

Yep I have lost many battles with those soft tiny screws.........I try to avoid them if I can but we all know when we just have to go in. Through my failures I have gained a few tricks and increased my success rate....plus I know I have donor manifolds with screws as a back up in a pinch. But you most definitely need to......clean the screw head....give it some pre sauce.....and use the correct screw driver with sharp edges. I find its even better if you know you are working with and old rusty screw to just use a mini straight edge screw driver the fits side to side perfectly....those do not spin out.

Good tips, Jim. If my wife saw my collection of screwdrivers, it would be just another thing for her to lecture me about. However, sometimes when one won’t bite on one of those screws (or other types), another will do the trick. Next time I will try your straight screw driver trick before cashing it in for the WD-40 workaround!

The worst part is when the threads on those screws strip out and they won't hold anymore.
Bigger screw :D One thing that really helps is an old mechanics trick. Lock the valve in a vice tightly. With a quality screwdriver that actually fits the screw, and after some liberal penetrating oil (not WD40 which is not for the purpose), wait a bit, then firmly place the screwdriver into the screw head and give it (the screwdriver end) a few sharp taps with a small ball peen hammer. The taps will loosen things and allow the penetrant to do it's job. Also try turning the screwdriver while tapping. They'll usually pop right out then

Back