How many beers does it take...

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
To burn the chicken! Well I found out Sunday! We've been buying our beer directly from the local brew pubs lately. 1. to support them and 2. to take out the middle man. Needless to say we have a great stock pile of high octane beers in the beer fridge.

Every Sunday I cook drumsticks for my lunches during the work week. I try and mix it up so I don't get bored. This past week a friend posted a recipe for marinating the chicken in milk & sriracha. Then dip in egg wash, seasoned flour, repeat. Cook in high temp grill 400°-425° for 30 minutes. brush with oil and cook until done.

I knew that the only milk we had was powdered. Usually we have powdered buttermilk but i used the last of it making some biscuits a few weeks back. I dug into the fridge and found a single serving (5.3 ounce) container of Greek yogurt. Okay in business. I mixed up a marinade as follow:

Single serve container of Greek yogurt
4 Tablespoons Sriracha
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon white pepper

Mix up and place chicken into mixture. Marinate in fridge for minimum of 4 hrs, max 24.

Eggs have been short handed here so I didn't want to waste any for the dredge. I figured that the yogurt mixture was enough, this proved correct. Seasoned the flower with SPOG. Did the dredge then into the high temp 14.5 WSM.

Here's where things went sideways. I had been cleaning the garage all day. Around lunch time I thought it would be good to have a beer to wash the dust out of my system. Conveniently the beer fridge is located in the garage. See where this is going? So come time to grill the chicken I'd unknowing consumed a fair amount of high octane micro brew.

Got the WSM going in the backyard, went back to the garage to clean some more. May or may not have had another beer. Checked on the temp of the WSM, high temp and good to go. Put the chicken on, went back to the garage. Well lets just say my multi tasking skills at this point ween't up to the tasks at hand. So yeah the chicken got a bit more than crispy! Still tastes good.

Chicken Marinating. We have EcoDoor 2 gallon zip lock bags. We got them for homemade bread storage. I found that they work really good for marinating meats.

49859489562_5ca550d570_c.jpg

49858642063_aec239d6fd_c.jpg

Dredged and ready for the WSM

49859452867_de13c180dd_c.jpg

Bit burnt but still tasty!

Chris, should this be moved to the chicken recipe site or to the dumbass site? lol (just joking Case)

Case i'v seen your cooks and know and respect what you can do, every once and a while things go south.
I would have opened another beer grabbed a dipping sauce and mowed down on those drumsticks.

Case - those drumsticks look mighty good! Also, living in Bend, I can see why you would have high octane beers readily available in your garage fridge. I'm in Portland, and getting my hands on some delicious beer is still super easy. Of course, the beer definitely makes for an interesting day, yeah? :cool:

When I used to drink beer I never had it sneak up on me, it usually just walked up and smacked aside the head. Now that my drink of choice is bourbon and tonic if I over indulge a little usually I just fall asleep in my recliner.
Reminds me when we got the instant pot for Christmas this year I decided to make some rice pilaf for dinner for the first cook with the instant pot, well I guess I had one or four to many. Followed the recipe and pushed the pressure cook button and 5 minuets later it shut of. I let it do a natural release, opened it up and it didn't look right and the rice was as tuff as nails. Hmmm something about a cup of chicken broth some how got passed me.
Still I like your get around what I don't have with a great substitution. All in all a nice cook
Now tell me about those buttermilk biscuits using powdered buttermilk. I have a container of powered buttermilk and don't have any ideas as to what I can use it for.

Back