How do you store your physical (printed) recipes?

Grant... We "semi" used Mastercook software until they became just too expensive. Now, the wife keeps her recipes in a similar manner as you do.

I used to have a binder with clear plastic covers with printed pages in it, now its one note on pc or notes on my iphone, and some plainly stored in my head ....I like to simplify ingredients so Im always tweaking them, plus when I decide to make something the list of items I need to buy at the store is already in my pocket on the phone

Just a suggestion, why not just scan them, then digital folders could be created to categorize them.....

Grant, If you want to stick with your current method, they do make extra wide dividers. I can't seem to link this from my phone, but if you search Amazon for "extra wide dividers for sheet protectors" you'll see a variety.

I use some I got from Staples. They do extend beyond the edge of the binder, but that's not a problem for me.
It's only noticeable when I am using the binder, not when it's stored.

I just keep them in PDF and print as needed. If we modify, I write down the mods on the printed copy and scan it to PDF

Using Paprika, you can store printed recipes as pictures and still use many of the apps features. I like that it syncs with the app on both iPads (one is my cooking pad) and my phone and my daughter. Yes we cook together and share recipes and ideas. Cooking with my kids (3 of 4) is my joy beyond belief.

Using Paprika, you can store printed recipes as pictures and still use many of the apps features.
This, and being able to enter a website link into the Pap app and have it automatically download and format recipes is just totally awesome.

During the pandemic when I stayed at home unless it was absolutely necessary to go out, I got hooked on collecting recipes.
I now have over 4000 stored in Word with paper copies stored in binders by category. Yes, it can be a pain in the petunia to find what I'm looking for even though all the binders have index sheets.
With Word I can search by ingredient or title and other various ways to find a specific recipe. Once I have the name of the recipe, I usually can find it fairly easily in the binder, if not I just print another copy.
It's crude but it works for me.

Last edited:
I have a folder for them on my computer. My computer is backed up at two different locations. I like having them stored electronically. I can print out the one I need and use it for note taking as the cook ensues. If the tweak is decent, I can change the recipe or add a footnote. Another plus is I can search all the recipes at once for a keyword or a phrase if I am looking for something specific.

When it is time to use a recipe, we take it out of it's binder and tape it to a sheet of paper. The date it is made goes up at the top and also below the recipe after it is made. We also mention who made it, and who also ate it. Then we comment on how it tasted , any changes to be made if made again and give it a rating. We use, Excellent, Very Good, Good, OK, No. We then put them in a binder for that year. We now have a record of every recipe we have made since 1988. We are working on Binder 6.

Oh, forgot to mention. I also make a notation on the paper the date if I posted the recipe here.
This might be TMI (lol)
The first binder has 16 years of used recipes, the last 3 binders only can hold 3 years of recipes made. Oh, did I mention, I am using 4" binders? lol
(ok, binder 2 has 6 years and binder 3 holds 4 years)It's good to see we are using more recipes as time goes by.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention.......

BEFORE the recipes go into the made binders, I have another binder labeled "Tried Index". The sections are labeled Beef, Chicken, Pork, Other Meat and goes on to a bunch of other categories like Dessert, Pasta, Salad, Sauce, etc..

For example, if we made a pork rib recipe, I would go to the Pork section, under Rib and enter on a sheet of lined paper, the date made, name of recipe, where the recipe came from (like name of mag. or such) and how it is cooked, like grill or oven or stove top etc. and then how we rated the recipe. Then, if we make that recipe again, it gets highlighted and it gets entered in a section labeled "Recipes Made Again".

Yes, I do have a lot of time on my hands. lol

But seriously, I have really enjoyed every single minute I have spent on the project. And it is very easy for us to find anything we want to eat.

Back