How do you sauce ribs when they're rolled?

EricDS

What does everyone do to sauce their ribs when they're rolled up and skewered? Towards the end of the cook, do you uncoil them and sauce them and roll them back up? Or do you sauce them while rolled?

Unrolling them seems like a lot of work, plus I would think they may fall apart. But saucing them coiled up seems awkward too.

Any thoughts???

Last time I rolled the ribs I did the following.

I added the sauce and foiled the ribs and stacked them. Left them alone for 15 min.

I've been watching this because I was wondering the same thing. The Missus prefers 'em unsauced and it's never a big priority. A couple of weeks ago though, I rolled six slabs of spares (KC style: breast bone removed) on my 18" that I'd taken down to my parents house for a family get together. The plan was to sauce four of 'em.

Tony's tip to simply unroll, sauce, and hold in foil for at least fifteen minutes is probably the way to go. I've recently seen where bbq competitors like Harry Soo are doing something like that nowadays, claiming that the sauce will set in the foil. My sister was telling me though that she liked ribs with the sauce cooked on "sticky", and I don't know what it takes to get that without saucing the rolled ribs and putting back on the cooker a bit. All I know is, make sure you pull out your BIG basting brush out, not your wife's little bitty one. That's what I get for asking her to pack up bbq supplies before a trip! I wonder...say what if you poured a fairly thin sauce in a small pan or mixing bowl, and then rolled the rolled ribs in it with your tongs? Just something I might try next time if I want to put them back on the cooker for the sauce to set.

I sometimes roll 'em and seldom sauce but when I do, I cut them into 3-4 rib wide portions.
It never occurred to me to unroll. I'd have thought they'd break apart.

I sometimes roll 'em and seldom sauce but when I do, I cut them into 3-4 rib wide portions.
It never occurred to me to unroll. I'd have thought they'd break apart.

Yes, they'll break apart if you force the whole unrolled racks to lie flat. A big mixing bowl is handy to hold a few unrolled slabs if you don't want to cut them in half.

Yes, they'll break apart if you force the whole unrolled racks to lie flat. A big mixing bowl is handy to hold a few unrolled slabs if you don't want to cut them in half.

You're going to cut them (eventually) anyways so what does it matter if they break in2-3 pieces before saucing? Unroll, sauce them, grill for a minute or three to caramelize, cut all and serve.

You're going to cut them (eventually) anyways so what does it matter if they break in2-3 pieces before saucing? Unroll, sauce them, grill for a minute or three to caramelize, cut all and serve.
That was my rationale for cutting prior to saucing.
Bonus: more saucing area!

The ends are not usually sauced. Left nekkid since only the topss/bottoms are sauced. Reason is that when they come off the wsm, they are:

1. Off wsm
2. Sauced
3. Returned to wsm or grill to carmelize a bit
4.remove and do the final cuts with no additional sauce.

Neater/cleaner presentation that way.

Last edited:
I guess I'm lucky because I rarely have one break or fall apart unless I overcooked it.
I should clarify that I take them to just toothpick tender. They still have some elasticity (bend) to unroll and still hold shape.:wsm:

Tim

I have some coiled and just getting started on the kettle.
I'm probably going to do close to a 3-2-1 on them.

When it's time for the sauce session, I'll just slather them while coiled.
I won't get them 100% but that's OK.

Back