Homemade Mexican Chorizo

Mark Foreman

TVWBB All-Star
Wanted to share this recipe. Makes wonderful chorizo. It is a Mexican, not Spanish Chorizo.
Makes great tacos and awesome burgers when mixed 50/50 with ground beef.
I cut my pork into 1 inchish cubes. Mix with pepper slurry. I grind twice, 1/2” plate (coarse) followed by 3/16” plate. I grind as bulk but do not put it into casings.

RECIPE IS FROM: Mexican please.co

1658873800310.jpg

Easy Homemade Chorizo​

pork
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Servings: Servings: 40 calories: 185 Source: mexicanplease.com

INGREDIENTS​

5 lbs. ground pork EDIT: (uncooked)
10 Ancho dried chilis
12 1/2-15 New Mexican dried chilis
1 1/4 onion
7 1/2 cloves garlic
2 1/2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
1 1/4 teaspoons cumin
2 1/2 tablespoons salt
freshly cracked pepper
5/8 cup apple cider vinegar
splash water

DIRECTIONS​

Start by wiping off the dried chilis with a damp towel. De-stem and de-seed the chilis, but don't worry about getting rid of every last seed.
Roast the chilis for 1-2 minutes in a 450F oven, or you can flash them on a hot skillet for 30-60 seconds.
Place the chilis in a bowl and cover with hot tap water. Let the chilis reconstitute for 20-30 minutes. You can use a small bowl or plate to keep them submerged.
Drain the chilis and discard the soaking liquid. Add the chilis to a blender along with 1/2 onion, 3 cloves of garlic, 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1 tablespoon salt, some freshly cracked pepper, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, and a splash of water. Blend until you have a thick paste.
Add blender mixture to 2 lbs. of uncooked ground pork and combine well using a spoon or your hands.
I store these in 1/2 lb. chunks using Ziplocs. I keep one in the fridge where it will keep for a few days and store the others in the freezer.

NOTES​

Cook as you would traditional sausage. I use a skillet over medium-high heat and give it 3-5 minutes on each side.

Last edited:
I'll have to give this a try.

Oh wait, I don't have a meat grinder.

Around these parts, when I find chorizo in the supermarket, e.g. Cacique or El Mexicano brands, the first two ingredients on the list are pork salivary glands and lymph nodes. Delicious, I'm sure, but not for me.

Around these parts, when I find chorizo in the supermarket, e.g. Cacique or El Mexicano brands, the first two ingredients on the list are pork salivary glands and lymph nodes. Delicious, I'm sure, but not for me.
Have your store meat department grind it for you.

Parts is parts, that's why when buying sausage, I never read the ingredients. o_O

I cut my pork into 1 inchish cubes. Mix with pepper slurry. I grind twice, 1/2” plate (coarse) followed by 3/16” plate.
So you mix the cubes with the slurry, then grind it? Do you let it marinate for a bit or overnight before you grind? ( the recipe says add the slurry to the grind )
I got everything I need to give it a go tomorrow!

So you mix the cubes with the slurry, then grind it? Do you let it marinate for a bit or overnight before you grind? ( the recipe says add the slurry to the grind )
I got everything I need to give it a go tomorrow!
Yes. I cut the meat into cubes, mix in the slurry, grind through 5/16 plate then regrind through a 3/16 plate.

Made 8 lbs last weekend and froze in .5lb bags.
Used one with a pound of ground turkey yesterday for turkey/Chorizo tacos. (Added a few shakes of taco seasoning)
So good and not greasy like the store bought stuff.

Been off the forums for a long time. This is my go-to chorizo recipe. It ain't rocket science... I've even substituted pork loin when I "just had to have it." Preferably, I use pork butt with my hand grinder... that way I can get as much fat as I want into the mixture. Ignore the cheese bit, this was part of a bigger recipe to prepare a fancy queso fundido. I make my own taco seasoning using similar dry ingredients. Mexican oregano is a wonderful ingredient. I buy it in bulk online.

Attachments

• Chorizo recipe.jpg
    Chorizo recipe.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 15
Been off the forums for a long time. This is my go-to chorizo recipe. It ain't rocket science... I've even substituted pork loin when I "just had to have it." Preferably, I use pork butt with my hand grinder... that way I can get as much fat as I want into the mixture. Ignore the cheese bit, this was part of a bigger recipe to prepare a fancy queso fundido. I make my own taco seasoning using similar dry ingredients. Mexican oregano is a wonderful ingredient. I buy it in bulk online.
Bob; many thanx for this recipe. I haven’t encountered that wonderful Mexican oregano during my many years living here in Costa Rica. Don’t buy any food products per Amazon as it Needs a seal-of-approval from the Costa Rican Department of Health before it passes through Costa Rica Customs.

Last edited:

Back