Hmmmm ... new season of BBQ Pitmasters ?

I really hope they bring back another season. I'll be interested to see what changes have evolved since 2015, the last year of the show.

In the July 2022 issue of the KCBS Bullsheet, the President's Corner article by Stan Dobosenski says there's been a real drop-off in KCBS competition barbecue participation since 2018 and certainly since the start of the pandemic in 2020 and now with high inflation, fuel costs, etc. in 2022. In 2009, the Pitmaster television shows got a lot of people excited about competition barbecue...perhaps a new season of BBQ Pitmasters and the new Michael Simon six episode series BBQ USA starting on July 11 will spark new interest.

In the last BBQ Pitmasters, the most common smoker was a gravity feed. Since then, there's been an explosion of offset cookers in backyard barbecue. I wonder if that's taken hold in comp cooking? in the original series, I did not see very many offset stick burners. A couple summers ago, I walked around a cookoff here in OKC and saw a lot of Jambo offsets. And more Yoder pellet smokers than I thought I would see.

I'd be curious what the competitors would be cooking on in a new BBQ Pitmaster season.

There's also people smoking central Texas barbecue almost around the world, all over the USA, in the UK, Sweden, even Germany. Aaron Franklin's influence has been incredible. Considering how current trends move, has that style of barbecue run its course and people are looking for something different, something more like KC or Memphis style. Or something closer to what the comp teams produce ?

I really liked the first season of BBQ Pitmasters. That's what got me interested (I probably saw reruns though. I didn't get my first smoker until 2011). The later seasons are ok.

BBQ USA is gonna be a show bout comps. I thought maybe it would be about the backyard and joints. I enjoyed first episode, saw some familiar faces from BBQ Pitmasters .

Here's the entire schedule

https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/bbq-usa/episodes

BBQ USA EPISODES​

Season 1, Episode 1

Shake Your Money Muscle

Michael Symon heads to Tifton, Ga., for the Rhythm and Ribs BBQ Festival, where more than 60 teams fight it out to prove their 'que is the best and claim over $5,000 in prizes. There are ...
Season 1, Episode 2

Stick to Your Ribs

Michael Symon gets a taste of Kansas City-style 'que at the Qlathe BBQ Championship in Olathe, Kan. Rain or shine, 70 teams -- including big names and solo pitmasters -- are ready to battle ...
Season 1, Episode 3

Risk It for the Brisket

Michael Symon visits the Lone Star State for the Cedar Fest BBQ Cook-Off. The teams compete in ribs, chicken and pork, but the real star is brisket. Which team has what it takes to win, and ...
Season 1, Episode 4

Who You Calling Chicken?

Michael Symon ventures south to the Smoke on the Falls competition in Gadsden, Ala. From couples to friends to whole families, more than 60 teams compete, but only one will take home the ...
Season 1, Episode 5

Double Trouble

Michael Symon makes his way to the Garden State to see more than 40 teams compete over two days at the New Jersey Knoq-Out in Blairstown. A rookie competes against her mentors, and the teams ...
Season 1, Episode 6

Going Whole Hog

Michael Symon visits the Memphis in May festival to see some of the biggest names in BBQ, including Myron Mixon, Melissa Cookston and Erica Blaire Roby, go head-to-head in the whole hog

We watched BBQ USA and enjoyed it. The next episode is at 10 pm our time according to the food network which seems odd that would be about midnight or so on the east coast. Don't think I'll stay up for that one.

Get the Discovery + app, and episodes will be available on demand, Monday morning. Along with other bbq shows

My wife and I also watched the Qlathe KS episode since I competed in it. Didn’t see my team in it but it was interesting to hear the conversations Michael Simon had with four top teams. We enjoyed the show and will watch more.

I watched the first three episodes this morning while enjoying my coffee. I wasn't sure going in, but I liked it a lot. For some reason in the early iron chef America days I didn't care for Simon much. But over the years he has won me over and I enjoy watching him. Was a lot of fun to watch and is making me get the itch to compete again. Super cool to see a lot of familiar faces on the brisket episode from down here in Texas. I'll probably check out a couple more episodes tomorrow. Hopefully they keep it going, and I'll keep watching.

Back