Help!!

Angie C

Hi everyone

I recently after much consideration bought a weber 47cm smoker.
One of my boys helped me to put it together,
Would love to know what to cook first. ? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks xxx:wsm22::wsm22:

When I first got mine I did a few chciken cooks to start getting some seasoning on the cooker but also learn how to work it with investing in an expensive piece of meat. Bob's suggestion is good also. There is a lot of great info in the cooking topics that can get you started on most anything.

Welcome!

Pork butt! Neary a 100% chance of a successful first smoke. See the Mr. Brown recipe on tvwbb home page. :D

Not sure I am doing much more than just restating what a few others have said, but I might lean towards the pulled pork (pork Butt) as well. very forgiving, hard to mess up, can handle temp swings from 225-260 degrees IMO. Only issue is it takes a lot of time, so you may have to deal with monitoring for quite a number of hours. then again that gives good practice as well

if you would rather, pulled chicken (whole chickens) are cheap too, and then you are not looking at 12-16 hours

Thanks again for the tips. I am actually doing my first smoke now!! I wimped out and went for the chicken beginners recipe. It smells great. Sitting in the garden in the sun just looking at it. Sad . Very sad.

................I wimped out and went for the chicken beginners recipe. It smells great. Sitting in the garden in the sun just looking at it. Sad . Very sad.

Not sad at all. Just a conscientious cook. Make sure you have plenty cold beer. Look forward to seeing the results!!

I agree with Tony Angie,that's not sad at all. You're passionate about what your doing. Just remeber that all with all cooks,god bad, or in between, there is always a takeway, always something to be learned. Do yourself a favor and start a cook log recording everything you do. It will serve as a great reference tool for you to to compare your cooks and learn.

I think you made a great choice. I also have a 18.5 and that's what I did the first couple of times. Also remember not to get to excited if you have to chase the temps a little. It takes a few cooks to gunk it up a little then it will become real stable. There is a bunch of beginners recipes and lots of information in the http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

Hi thanks for your input . I made a mistake and put the chicken on the naked flame. All was good up to that point. Walked away for two mins and skin was burnt. But flavour was amazing . I have three kids all said was great. Am gonna do the ribs next. Xx got to wait till Monday though . Thanks for tips

Hi thanks for your input . I made a mistake and put the chicken on the naked flame. All was good up to that point. Walked away for two mins and skin was burnt. But flavour was amazing . I have three kids all said was great. Am gonna do the ribs next. Xx got to wait till Monday though . Thanks for tips

This is one of the things I've learned. We cooks/grillers/smokers are our worst critics and even when we think we messed up, most people still enjoy the food that we prepare. Face it, most of our mistakes are still better than most restaurants serve.

Glad to hear it was enjoyed. I think I did a chicken for my first cook as well. It's a great way to get used to the smoker without committing to a several hour cook. I would, however, recommend a pork butt as soon as possible. Good luck with your ribs.

Back