Help please with my Q purchase

Darryl - swazies

TVWBB Emerald Member
Having serious thoughts about purchasing a Q propane grill.
Mildly confused on how these come from the manufacturer.
I see a few versions......which basically comes down to the 1200, 2200 and 3200. Looks like the extra 200 on all models is slightly more money and the win is a lid thermometer. Is this thermometer efficient................can you count on it being reliable even if it is not so accurate?
I see the 3200 has the connection for the 20lb propane tank.......this would be my first choice...the large tank of propane.
The 2200 series model doesn't seem to let me know what kind of propane hook up it comes with.
If one knows please fill me in on what the 2200 offer please and thanks.
I'm not stuck on the 2200 but here is my situation..................

First off the 2200 seems to offer more than the 1200. It would appear as the 2200 has the a larger cooking size surface compared to the 1200 and runs hotter?
And then 3200 appears to be a larger cooking area, and runs hotter again.
I work and there is a retail location there.
They offer Weber Q2200 bbq's but logo'd up for our company.
I believe it is a 2200 as it is part of the part number the part number ends in Q2200 and is looks exactly like the Weber's.
It might have been sitting here a while as the list price on it is cheaper than I can get one from Weber for.
Then I get the employee discount on top of that.
So the 2200 itself I can get here for $125 cheaper then off the Weber online site.
There is a stand there too.......my price here on that is only $91 so it seems fair. Can't seem to locate the stand quickly online. Not that worried about it.

Is the 2200 what I want and can it use a 20lb tank or is there some parts I can buy to make it fit a 20lb tank,. If it's not what I want why is that.
My household is 2 adult, if I was to use this bbq it would 99% of the time only for 2 people as if I was cooking for guests it would be on the performer or the E6. Even the purchase online for a new 1200 is more money than employee purchase on this 2200.

I would like to try to avoid buying retail right from Weber as I am not interested in buying one at that price......I don't need a propane bbq......I would love to own one out of just pure convenience every once in a while.
I love the charcoal taste, but sometimes speed and recovery from heat is more important than using charcoal every time.

I am a noob with these grills I appreciate al the help I can get on this decision.

Yes the 2200 is the one to go with and it comes with 20lb tank hose. 280 sq inches of cooking space and temp gauge is pretty good but I use external gauges.

Garvin

Here's a few quick thoughts since I have to be back at work:

1) The differences between a 1000/2000 and the 1200/2200 are the thermometers you mention and taller hoods. I think it is worth it. The thermometer doesn't give you a precise grate temperature, but it does let you know how the grill is doing heating up and the overall temperature at least in a relative way.
2) The 2200 seems to me to be a great compromise. It offers a good bit more space than the smallish 1200, although the 1200 is still a great grill if it is all you need. The 2000 series grills get a bad rep in that they offer the lowest btu per square inch of the 3 Q grills. I personally have found it to be quite adequate, but the 1200 is a hotter grill. The 3200 has two burners, and it can definitely pump out the heat. The 2200 uses the small propane tanks, but you can buy and adapter hose that will allow you to use 20lb tanks. There is also a stand for the 2000 series that looks just like the one the large 3200 is permanently attached to. But with the one for the 2000 series, you can still readily lift out your grill for a picnic or camping.
3) The 3200 is a very legit deck/patio alternative to a conventional grill if all you expect is high heat grilling. It is not really portable. It is also a great grill if you don't need portability and need even more space. It can cook almost as much as a 300 series Genesis.

Finally, all the Q models are frequently listed for sale as used. You can find some great deals out there, do some cleaning, maybe buy a new grate and still get a bargain cooker.

I was going thru the same awhile ago, came upon this chart for comparison.'
I had a hard time finding one locally because of supply chain issues but did find one on the Amazon.
I Got the 2200 and also ordered the Weber hose for the #20 tank ( I'm pretty sure there are similar ones cheaper ) with it.
I also bought an aftermarket cover because the reviews on the Weber cover said it didn't cover all the way if you had the foldout tables closed.
It was less money also.

I see the 3200 has the connection for the 20lb propane tank.......this would be my first choice...the large tank of propane
FWIW, the 3200 imo is the most versatile of them all. Easy to perform an indirect cook, capable of relatively large capacity as well. Not knocking the smaller cousins but if I had to choose only one gas grill and it had to be a Q it's the one I would go with hands down

I appreciate the opinions a lot.
One post does say the 2200 comes with hook up for 20lb, the next post says the opposite.
I am under the impression it does not come stock.....with the ability to hook up to a 20lb tank. This is my only option is the 20lb tank.

Do we know what the hose or new regulator is called or where to find it?

I am pretty stuck on the 2200 but after reading about the BTU per square inch........and the 2200 being the poorest, it does make me second guess the 2200. I also don't really need 2 heat zones, although that would be a really nice option. When I had the broil king I really got used to different heat zones. It also was my only grill at one point, so it had to do everything at once.
It seems like a poor decision to pay more money for a new 1200 off the web than I can buy a 2200 for here at work. I also do not need the 3200 size and price at all.......the only thing that I like most about that is the 20lb hook up and 2 burners....size is not important.

Costco sells a 2200 with a cart and adapter. These days they are black, around $299, very cool. I bought one a few years ago and it’s the standard color, haven’t used it yet, it’s a surprisingly large grill. I own a Q-320 and it really is my most used grill by far. I love it and if it died tomorrow a 3200 would be on the way. 11 years and the 320 works great, I’m on grate 3, burner 2, but still it’s been really helpful.

One thing to be really aware of is the hook-up for the 20lb. tank. The one I am thinking of uses the OEM regulator and a long hose to connect the OEM regulator to the tank. Because of the long hose before the regulator, be very careful that you open the tank valve s-l-o-o-o-w-l-y to avoid tripping the OPD. The sudden surge of gas into the long hose before the regulator can make the tank think there is a gas leak.

This is typical of the hose I am talking about. It may not be the best deal out there so do your homework.

1656539482520.png

I appreciate the opinions a lot.
One post does say the 2200 comes with hook up for 20lb, the next post says the opposite.
I am under the impression it does not come stock.....with the ability to hook up to a 20lb tank. This is my only option is the 20lb tank.

Do we know what the hose or new regulator is called or where to find it?

I am pretty stuck on the 2200 but after reading about the BTU per square inch........and the 2200 being the poorest, it does make me second guess the 2200. I also don't really need 2 heat zones, although that would be a really nice option. When I had the broil king I really got used to different heat zones. It also was my only grill at one point, so it had to do everything at once.
It seems like a poor decision to pay more money for a new 1200 off the web than I can buy a 2200 for here at work. I also do not need the 3200 size and price at all.......the only thing that I like most about that is the 20lb hook up and 2 burners....size is not important.
'Got mine from BJ's and it had the hose.

Darryl, like me you are in Canada and I have never seen the 1200 or 2200 come with the 20 lb adapter hose like Ed posted up here. If you NEVER intend to use the one lb tanks, you are better off spending your money on a regular hose and regulator for a Genesis, removing the one lb regulator from the grill and installing ( by using some extra connectors) the hose for the Genesis. This will prevent the OPD from tripping as Ed described. I will try and find the post that Bruce posted with all the parts needed.

Here is the Bruce method.

And the Case T method.

These conversions are usually cheaper than the adapter hose Ed posted.
I agree with those saying the 1200 is considerably hotter if that is what you want. The method for converting to the 20 lb tank is the same for both. The 3200 comes with the hose/regulator for the 20 lb tank.

Last edited:
I've owned all 3 Q's and sold the Q200 I had. It was my least favorite Q because it was too big to be considered portable for me and it was the slowest to come up to temp which made me feel like the grill was struggling. I like my BabyQ (Q120) because of its compact size, it is economical on fuel, and it heats up fast, which makes it a joy to use. I rehabbed a Q320 for our daughter and it is really a nice grill, easy to operate for a noob, roomy, just an all-around great grill. Hers has an inline tank gauge, which is something useful for a noob, too.

The temp gauge on the lid is very useful to monitor the tank status. Nothing like running out of gas in the middle of a cook and not knowing it.

EDIT: I don't mean to take anything away from the Q2xxx series...they are good cookers and a lot of people are very happy with them, and I'm sure you will be, too, if that's your choice. All of my Qs were rehabs, BTW.

Last edited:
No question that the 1000 series and the 3200 both outpower the 2000 series grills. That said, I loved my old Q200 and found it to be adequately powered for me. When I later found a good deal on a 3200, it took time to adjust to its higher heat output. I found myself missing my old 200.

AFTER Grilling Burgers.JPG

I loved my Q220 as well, but when Bruce offered to trade it for my now current Q320 there was no hesitation. I couldn't get to Madison WI fast enough :D You say "I don't need 2 zone cooking" but once you actually have it you won't realize how much you actually did need it. I felt the same but now love love love that ability.

I loved my Q220 as well, but when Bruce offered to trade it for my now current Q320 there was no hesitation. I couldn't get to Madison WI fast enough :D You say "I don't need 2 zone cooking" but once you actually have it you won't realize how much you actually did need it. I felt the same but now love love love that ability.
Yep, I am still using larry's Q200 and I use it more than I do my Genesis. It is just so easy and quick. I have my genesis for zone cooking, for smoking, for rotisserie or larger cooks. The thing about the Q200 is that while it is still portable, it is plenty big for cooking for 3-4 people. I took it to a state park last week too cook dogs and burgers prior to a free concert. When I get back, it goes back out on the deck with the 20lb tank.
If you don't need the portability, then the Q3200 is probably your best bet. Simple but effective while being as close to maintenance free as a full size grill is going to be.

I really do appreciate the information on the grills and the help with regulators and hoses......and really appreciate everyone opinions. Your opinions on how they operate and how that reflects on what you need it to do really sinks in. I wanted one of these grills for convenience and the MRS could operate it if needed.....and it is pretty hard to pass up the savings I could get here at work. I am still on the fence, I like the idea but really not sure if this grill is the one I need.........it's the best value that I can purchase but maybe not the best grill for me. Like getting a pink cowboy hat for $1.00 when the regular price is $10.00, but are you really going to use that pink cowboy hat. The MRS is actually pushing me to buy it.......I know it sounds made up......but seriously, she says last night........... " I think you should just buy it " .
I know how most of you guys think......buy one or more when she says that.....I am the same way.
I had 6 bbq's at one point and now am down to 3 with the 4rth being the 14" Smokey Joe that I only use for lighting chimney's
So 3 bbq's now, she see's the easiness of propane and there is an empty hole on the deck where it could fit.
Once that hole is filled........I won't be able to purchase a blackstone, I had thoughts on that earlier but really felt like I wouldn't use it as much as I think I would.
Probably going to think it over a bit................
As much as I don't like this idea, it's possibly a better idea to spend a bit more on the right grill.
I will own it for a while, and nothing like being mad about your purchase for numerous years.

So talking about the 1200 series line...........
The propane setup is exactly the same as the 2200 series line?????
Uses small tanks but you can change the line and or the regulator to make it work with a 20lb tank setup?

I really do appreciate the information on the grills and the help with regulators and hoses......and really appreciate everyone opinions. Your opinions on how they operate and how that reflects on what you need it to do really sinks in. I wanted one of these grills for convenience and the MRS could operate it if needed.....and it is pretty hard to pass up the savings I could get here at work. I am still on the fence, I like the idea but really not sure if this grill is the one I need.........it's the best value that I can purchase but maybe not the best grill for me. Like getting a pink cowboy hat for $1.00 when the regular price is $10.00, but are you really going to use that pink cowboy hat. The MRS is actually pushing me to buy it.......I know it sounds made up......but seriously, she says last night........... " I think you should just buy it " .
I know how most of you guys think......buy one or more when she says that.....I am the same way.
I had 6 bbq's at one point and now am down to 3 with the 4rth being the 14" Smokey Joe that I only use for lighting chimney's
So 3 bbq's now, she see's the easiness of propane and there is an empty hole on the deck where it could fit.
Once that hole is filled........I won't be able to purchase a blackstone, I had thoughts on that earlier but really felt like I wouldn't use it as much as I think I would.
Probably going to think it over a bit................
As much as I don't like this idea, it's possibly a better idea to spend a bit more on the right grill.
I will own it for a while, and nothing like being mad about your purchase for numerous years.

So talking about the 1200 series line...........
The propane setup is exactly the same as the 2200 series line?????
Uses small tanks but you can change the line and or the regulator to make it work with a 20lb tank setup?
Yep same setup, and personally I use the normal Weber regulator on it and get a hose that connects to the 20lb tank rather than replacing the regulator so I can keep my 1200 portable and use the 1lb tanks too.

Back