Ditched the regulator

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
So my regulator started whining last cook and then up and quit working. I could’ve gone the warranty route. But I had the adapter from another project so I removed the regulator added a 1/8” to 3/8” flare fitting so I can go direct with a hose. I used gas rated thread dope to attach the adapter to the control. The flare side does not need dope or thread tape. In fact it’s frowned upon. The fire fitting is what seals the connection. And if anything gets in between it cam fail.

Had a low pressure hose and regulator laying around that I hooked up .so far so good I guess. Getting up to temp. Able to maintain low temp too.

B1378F7A-4719-4749-92BD-26F0E9CC599D.jpeg

2D420A90-CAA8-4F34-BD8F-DF7D1280F4E7.jpeg

CA782C00-0D5D-445D-AB22-BF9AFBE8ADFF.jpeg

1E44D8F6-0A5B-495D-B6D6-73851B86D8B2.jpeg

F3C74A27-A2DC-4A2B-B4A1-D5CA5E45BEC2.jpeg

A5A4452F-1492-47A4-BBEF-A7A99331C6A1.jpeg

1156F6DF-99A2-4C2B-BC67-8024B472F128.jpegI tried my Cajun Bandit high pressure hose. That’s a no go on this little guys burner.

162155D2-9DA7-43FE-AF9A-93A50D3929C4.jpeg

Case, I would get a free one under warranty from Weber just in case you want to convert it back later. Nice detailed explanation. I did the regulator/large tank mod to my Q220 and it works fine.

Case, I would get a free one under warranty from Weber just in case you want to convert it back later. Nice detailed explanation. I did the regulator/large tank mod to my Q220 and it works fine.
Yeah I plan on it. I’ll never convert it back though. I don’t like using the little tanks. I have all my cookers set up to run of my big tanks.

Good job. I have converted a couple Weber Q's. I did a "HOW TO" on it as well. There are quite a few people like me that use their Q grills stationary on a deck or wherever and never plan to move them so the conversion makes sense. Especially, like your when the original regulator goes bad which seems to be pretty common on Q grills for some reason.

Good job. I have converted a couple Weber Q's. I did a "HOW TO" on it as well. There are quite a few people like me that use their Q grills stationary on a deck or wherever and never plan to move them so the conversion makes sense. Especially, like your when the original regulator goes bad which seems to be pretty common on Q grills for some reason.
Yeah I’ve never been a fan of the bottle regulators. No matter the brand they all seem to fail.we house this guy at home and at camp. But even at camp I use big tanks.
Not a fan of filling up the landfill with Coleman propane bottles.

You can refill those 1lb bottles, but it is a PIA still.
Yaah been there done that. Much easier to just use the big tanks.

if I don’t want to pack the big tank the little 2 gallon I have on my trailer is easy to pack.

D3D1051A-5409-4262-BAE4-D717347823E6.jpeg

I tapped into the LP lines on my camper and installed a quick connect for the Q100 that I use when camping. No lugging any tanks around, I just plug in the grill and use the camper LP.

I tapped into the LP lines on my camper and installed a quick connect for the Q100 that I use when camping. No lugging any tanks around, I just plug in the grill and use the camper LP.
Yeah when we are camping the cooking equipment plug into that 2 gallon tank so no lugging around.

Day trips and beach bbq’s, tailgates, etc when the trailer doesn’t go with us is when we pack that 2 gallon tank.

Yeah the tank mounted regulator has better control and less restriction(s). It also will not ice up like the one on the side of the grill. It'll be way more stable temps as well

Well so far so good. No complaints. The low temp is a bit higher now than it originally was. Its anywhere from 325°-350°f. High end the other day had it pegged above the 600° mark! That was after 10 minutes of running it.

We use the grill almost ever night for dinner. Love the way it cooks!

Back