Heads up! Check your grill brushes.

Another good reason to use Weber or similar heavy-duty brushes. I keep residue scrubbed/burnt off and wipe down with paper towels before and/or after all my cooks.

Yes scary for sure
icon_eek.gif
. Thanks for sharing.

I'm trying to figure out how these people didn't notice a piece of METAL in their mouths before swallowing.

The timing of this post is frightening. I just found a bristle on my plate a few nights ago. Can't complain though - my grill brush is about 8 years old.

The article shows what looks like a Weber brush, suggesting that they shed. Cheap brushes shedding was one of the reasons I changed to the Weber brush. Haven't had any problems since.

I will second and third the weber grill brush! I shredded a cheap one cleaning after a cook one nite and yikes!

Yes Yes always use a good brush--no cheapies.
Would not want to lose a BBQ buddy.
guy

Always towel down the grates before and after a cook it helps this kind of thing from happing and it also makes grate clean up easier, and less elbow grease required. I have to admit I have forgoteen to towel down a few times but after reading this I beleive it will be fixed in my mind.

Originally posted by Lew:
The article shows what looks like a Weber brush, suggesting that they shed. Cheap brushes shedding was one of the reasons I changed to the Weber brush. Haven't had any problems since.
meijer carries a brush that looks identical to the weber but it is a quarter of the price and not near the quality. Wish there was one made in the u.s!!!

Timely thread.
I've had a Brush hawg with a SS head and the Weber T-style for over 8 yrs. They have both served me well with no issues, and when they get gunked up with graese or whatever a simple soak over-nite with some Simple Green restores them to like new condition.
After reading this thread I did a search on the Brush Hawg and like most things lately made in China it's a crap-shoot.
I found one brush that is made in the USA and it gets a 5 star rating.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obi...RGU/thevirtualweberb
Until I buy that I'll just stick with a 1/4" open end wrench and the already mentioned PT.
icon_smile.gif

Tim

I'm still a big fan of the Grill Wizard. Uses replacable stainless steel pads instead of bristles. Never throw away a grill brush again!

Not to be confused with the plastic-handled one sold at Amazon and other retailers. Get the wooden-handled one.

Regards,
Chris

Originally posted by Kevin L (NKY):
Always towel down the grates before and after a cook it helps this kind of thing from happing and it also makes grate clean up easier, and less elbow grease required. I have to admit I have forgoteen to towel down a few times but after reading this I beleive it will be fixed in my mind.

Agree. I always wipe my grill with a oil soaked paper towel. I guess anything could happen, but I think I'd notice if there was metal on the grate. Can't be too careful though.

IMO, stop looking for gimmicks and bargains. Buy a long Weber brush and forget the rest. I've been using them for years and never saw a loose bristle. I get a new one every year or two. In the grand scheme of things, they are cheap enough

Back