Has Texas Brisket Peaked?

Most of these guys are basically cooking Franklin's brisket with some slight variation.

John Lewis said he left Austin for Charleston because " there were 50 other people doing what I was doing " . Those who don't know Lewis, he was Franklin's first partner in the early days.

Two ways of looking at this, if a joint was gonna survive, they had to find a way to differentiate themselves from what everyone else was doing, hence sides and desserts. But also maybe Lewis did not see the growth in popularity of barbecue. Maybe the market was not as limited as he thought.

Here we go , though this story says its chopped, what I saw in the TV ad was sliced. And it sounds like their sourcing the higher grades.

Chipotle launches smoked brisket nationwideThe rollout follows a 64-unit test of the new protein late last year. The brisket is smoked, charred on the grill and seasoned with smoky peppers and other spices.

Chipotle Mexican Grill is adding smoked brisket to its menu for a limited time, the fast casual announced Tuesday.

The nationwide rollout comes after Chipotle began testing the protein at 64 locations in Cincinnati and Sacramento, Calif., last November.

Chipotle’s smoked brisket is charred on the grill and seasoned with roasted jalapenos and chipotle chili peppers. It is chopped by hand and finished with a new brisket sauce made with smoky chili peppers, the chain said.

Smoked Brisket can be added to any of Chipotle’s bowls, burritos, quesadillas or tacos.

"This isn't your standard brisket experience," CMO Chris Brandt said in a statement. "We've created a differentiated Smoked Brisket recipe that is authentic to our menu and pairs flawlessly with our real ingredients."

Until Thursday, smoked brisket will be available exclusively to Chipotle’s more than 24 million Rewards members via the chain’s app and website. After that, diners in the chain’s restaurants can order the item. Starting Monday, smoked brisket will be available to order on third-party delivery apps. From Monday through Oct. 3, Chipotle will offer free delivery via its channels on orders that include smoked brisket.

Smoked brisket is among the most requested menu items by Chipotle customers, the chain said. The fast casual’s culinary department has worked on the new protein for two years to develop a “reimagined brisket recipe that is uniquely Chipotle,” the chain said in a statement.

Brisket is the third national rollout of a new menu item at Chipotle so far this year. In January, the chain launched Cilantro-Lime Cauliflower Rice for a limited time. And in March, it added the Hand-Crafted Quesadilla, the chain’s first new customizable entrée in 17 years.

Chipotle follows strict sourcing guidelines, which can make adding a new menu item—especially a protein—challenging. The chain has said that just 5% of U.S. beef meets its guidelines. The chain’s brisket is “responsibly sourced” and meets Chipotle’s Food with Integrity standards, Brandt said previously.

In 2019, Chipotle debuted carne asada systemwide. It became the chain’s fastest-selling new protein launch ever, four times as popular as its previous protein LTO.

More than 10 million people tried carne asada during its test run, with about half of those customers being first-time Chipotle diners, the chain said.

It certainly hasn't peaked with me. I still search it out when in well known bbq regions.

That said, I've eaten way more bad brisket than good brisket. And I'm not talking about all my flops. There are many more bbq joints serving crappy brisket than good. I suppose that's why the hunt is more exciting than the actual eating of the brisket out there.

I have settled into a routine in my bbqing that results in good brisket at home. It starts with finding the best piece of meat available. That can be expensive these days. Then there is all the fat that you trim. I measured the last packer brisket I did a month ago and the final cooked product was about 45% of the purchased weight. No wonder bbq joints charge so much.
20191229_222238_resized.jpg

But, I've come to favor another cut of beef much more. Tri-tip. I have worked out a technique where I sear it and smoke it for at least a couple hours, while still getting a medium rare finish. This cut has a strong beefy flavor and cooks without all the difficulties and length of time of brisket. I consistently get a juicy, smokey beefy meat with less work, and by my calculations, less or comparable cost. Frankly, I enjoy tri-tip much more. I have converted some brisket people with my recipe. One friend that uses my technique says he can't keep from opening the fridge and eating the sliced, cold, tri-tip standing in front of the fridge. I have to agree. I think I like my cold tri-tip as much or more than hot. That's my story...20210219_155032.jpg

20200426_085235.jpg

Last edited:
But, I've come to favor another cut of beef much more. Tri-tip. I have worked out a technique where I sear it and smoke it for at least a couple hours, while still getting a medium rare finish. This cut has a strong beefy flavor and cooks without all the difficulties and length of time of brisket. I consistently get a juicy, smokey beefy meat with less work, and by my calculations, less or comparable cost. Frankly, I enjoy tri-tip much more. I have converted some brisket people with my recipe. One friend that uses my technique says he can't keep from opening the fridge and eating the sliced, cold, tri-tip standing in front of the fridge. I have to agree. I think I like my cold tri-tip as much or more than hot. That's my story...
Care to share your recipe/technique?

The two fellas from Houston, who do the Tales From the Pits podcast, have not only been bored with brisket for some time now, they're also bored with ribs. They talk a lot about sides and desserts, or using barbecue in TexMex , or other creative ways to use smoked meats.

So me, being a backyard barbecue guy, I became bored with their podcast and no longer listen. I still smoke central Texas style brisket, I smoke my ribs more KC style. I love to smoke pulled pork which is relegated to a second class citizen in Texas, and chicken is a staple . Not bored with any of it.

What barbecue joints do , doesn't matter much to me.
Hey, Lynn. Back a few years, sides and desserts were a real weak point in most places -- an afterthought. They have stepped up quite a lot. Tex-Mex barbecue has been a growing trend, with some very good joints pitching in (Valentina's in South Austin is the trend setter).

We went to The Switch in Dripping Springs for brunch on Sunday. Brisket Benedict, Pulled Pork Migas, Dirty Bird (chicken) Burrito, and so on. All delicious. The plain ol' brisket was damn good, but $14.50 for 1/2 lb. Yikes.

I'm with you on rolling my own, although I do head down to Creekside Cookers for smoked-then-fried chicken wings on Wednesdays.

Jeff

For the tri-tip, pick out a well marbled one. Trim the silverskin and any external fat, gristle, etc.. Cover it in the rub (I use John Henry's Texas Brisket Rub) and place in the freezer until it is getting firm, almost frozen (~1.5 to 2 hours).

Build a roaring hot fire to sear the meat. I mean a really hot fire, very close to the grate. You're trying to sear without cooking inside. I use a 10" dia charcoal basket, loaded with mesquite charcoal, and placed nearly against the bottom of the grate and glowing orange when I put the meat on.

Sear the almost frozen tri-tip nicely on both sides. Place it back in the freezer while you reconfigure your kettle/komado/etc. or if you have another smoker, you can prep that smoker for low temperature and simply move it to that smoker and forgo all the reconfiguring of your setup.

Remove that charcoal from your grill and put it in your snuff out can (I use a stainless ice bucket and put the lid on). Leave the lid open on the grill to cool while your tri-tip cools in the freezer.

Reconfigure your grill for indirect smoking. Use a very small amount of charcoal to build a smal fire and add a decent size chunk of mesquite wood for smoke. Shoot for a temperature around the high 100s, 175-200F, and good amount of smoke without being sooty. When it's stable, put the tri-tip back on and put a temp probe in the middle. Keep an eye on the fire, since this small of a fire can burn out the fuel. If you can keep it this low with a minion method, more power to you. My fires during this cook tend to start very low temp, and as the wood burns it seems to turn to charcoal in part due to low air flow, then it starts adding heat to the fire after a while and my cook ends up near 225F when I finish up after a couple hours. Cook the tri-tip to your desired doneness for a steak (130 to 150F depending on how you like your steak). If you do this step with care, you can get as much as 2.5 to 3 hours of smoke on the tri-tip before it reaches you desired done temperature. 2 hours is good, more is better. The target done temperature should be your priority for removing from the grill. So, low temp of the pit is important. If it wasn't obvious, all this in and out of the freezer with the meat is done with the goal of putting as much smoke time on the meat as possible, without cooking past your target internal temperature.

While it's smoking, make the au jus. The ingredients I use are shown in the picture. Beef stock from that brand is darker and richer than broth. Thats what I use. I tend to make about 20 ounces of au jus, so this is my portions:
  • beef stock 20 ounces
  • Rub 1/4 cup
  • Dales Steak Seasoning 3 tablespoons
  • Franks Red Hot sauce 1-2 tablespoons or to taste
  • 1 tablespoon of worchestershire sauce
  • 2-3 tablespoons of red wine
20211005_145050.jpg
You can add a couple strips of good wood smoked bacon if you like. Put all the ingredients in a saucepan and heat to a boil while stirring. You can simmer it for a while or just shut the burner off and let it cool on it's own. Cool it down to below your meat's cook temperature. You don't want to boil your meat in the au jus. Get it down under the cook temperature by a good bit before using it.

Remove it from the grill and rest the tri-tip at least 1/2 hour. Slice approximately 1/8" thick across the grain. A super sharp brisket knife is what I use. I cut the tri-tip in two to get the best angles for cross cutting of the boomorang shape. If you're not going to eat it right away, you are better off chilling it before slicing, as it will make slicing much easier and more consistent.

Put the sliced meat in a suitable container where you can have a single layer of the sliced meat. Pour the au jus over the meat. The longer it's in the au jus, the more the flavors of the smoke and spices blend deeply into the meat. Frankly, the second day is better. Even cold, it's good the second day or longer. You can reheat, but do it very carefully not to exceed the doneness temperature you finished the tri-tip to. A big tray of it is easy to reheat in the oven at very low temperature. I usually reheat the next day for a party or catering. It's better than the first day.
20210219_155032.jpg

BTW, you can use that au jus recipe to save a dry brisket or enhance a good one. The concept, if not the exact recipe came from a competition brisket champion. It also goes very will with a grilled steak as a dipping sauce.

Last edited:
Hey, Lynn. Back a few years, sides and desserts were a real weak point in most places -- an afterthought. They have stepped up quite a lot. Tex-Mex barbecue has been a growing trend, with some very good joints pitching in (Valentina's in South Austin is the trend setter).

We went to The Switch in Dripping Springs for brunch on Sunday. Brisket Benedict, Pulled Pork Migas, Dirty Bird (chicken) Burrito, and so on. All delicious. The plain ol' brisket was damn good, but $14.50 for 1/2 lb. Yikes.

I'm with you on rolling my own, although I do head down to Creekside Cookers for smoked-then-fried chicken wings on Wednesdays.

Jeff

You live there where you can enjoy it. For me its , 500 miles away. My only interest was for maybe some tidbit I could pick up to help me in the backyard, especially about smokers.

So now , for me, it might as well be Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. Its about the same , from where I sit.

I'm gonna get down there for Franklin's and Louie Muellers, one of these days. I keep saying, to myself mostly.

For the tri-tip, pick out a well marbled one. Trim the silverskin and any external fat, gristle, etc.. Cover it in the rub (I use John Henry's Texas Brisket Rub) and place in the freezer until it is getting firm, almost frozen (~1.5 to 2 hours).

Build a roaring hot fire to sear the meat. I mean a really hot fire, very close to the grate. You're trying to sear without cooking inside. I use a 10" dia charcoal basket, loaded with mesquite charcoal, and placed nearly against the bottom of the grate and glowing orange when I put the meat on.

Sear the almost frozen tri-tip nicely on both sides. Place it back in the freezer while you reconfigure your kettle/komado/etc. or if you have another smoker, you can prep that smoker for low temperature and simply move it to that smoker and forgo all the reconfiguring of your setup.

Remove that charcoal from your grill and put it in your snuff out can (I use a stainless ice bucket and put the lid on). Leave the lid open on the grill to cool while your tri-tip cools in the freezer.

Reconfigure your grill for indirect smoking. Use a very small amount of charcoal to build a smal fire and add a decent size chunk of mesquite wood for smoke. Shoot for a temperature around the high 100s, 175-200F, and good amount of smoke without being sooty. When it's stable, put the tri-tip back on and put a temp probe in the middle. Keep an eye on the fire, since this small of a fire can burn out the fuel. If you can keep it this low with a minion method, more power to you. My fires during this cook tend to start very low temp, and as the wood burns it seems to turn to charcoal in part due to low air flow, then it starts adding heat to the fire after a while and my cook ends up near 225F when I finish up after a couple hours. Cook the tri-tip to your desired doneness for a steak (130 to 150F depending on how you like your steak). If you do this step with care, you can get as much as 2.5 to 3 hours of smoke on the tri-tip before it reaches you desired done temperature. 2 hours is good, more is better. The target done temperature should be your priority for removing from the grill. So, low temp of the pit is important.

While it's smoking, make the au jus. The ingredients I use are shown in the picture. Beef stock from that brand is darker and richer than broth. Thats what I use. I tend to make about 20 ounces of au jus, so this is my portions:
  • beef stock 20 ounces
  • Rub 1/4 cup
  • Dales Steak Seasoning 3 tablespoons
  • Franks Red Hot sauce 1-2 tablespoons or to taste
  • 1 tablespoon of worchestershire sauce
  • 2-3 tablespoons of red wine
View attachment 38510
You can add a couple strips of good wood smoked bacon if you like. Put all the ingredients in a saucepan and heat to a boil while stirring. You can simmer it for a while or just shut the burner off and let it cool on it's own. Cool it down to below your meat's cook temperature. You don't want to boil your meat in the au jus. Get it down under the cook temperature by a good bit before using it.

Remove it from the grill and rest the tri-tip at least 1/2 hour. Slice approximately 1/8" thick across the grain. A super sharp brisket knife is what I use. I cut the tri-tip in two to get the best angles for cross cutting of the boomorang shape. If you're not going to eat it right away, you are better off chilling it before slicing, as it will make slicing much easier and more consistent.

Put the sliced meat in a suitable container where you can have a single layer of the sliced meat. Pour the au jus over the meat. The longer it's in the au jus, the more the flavors of the smoke and spices blend deeply into the meat. Frankly, the second day is better. Even cold, it's good the second day or longer. You can reheat, but do it very carefully not to exceed the doneness temperature you finished the tri-tip to. A big tray of it is easy to reheat in the oven at very low temperature. I usually reheat the next day for a party or catering. It's better than the first day.
View attachment 38511

BTW, you can use that au jus recipe to save a dry brisket or enhance a good one. The concept, if not the exact recipe came from a competition brisket champion. It also goes very will with a grilled steak as a dipping sauce.
Tri Tip has become one of my top two cuts of beef also. The below method is on my fall cook short list, now your method is also.
I want to try both of these and see! Thanks for this great tutorial, I will be trying this in the next few months.

Well I've been to Texas, had brisket there, There's plenty of sub par brisket to be found there... :cool:
That was my experience too.

I've come to believe that only good, well marbled brisket (real prime grade or higher) will make great brisket. And I'm guessing there are a lot less of those out there than the lower grades. Prime is pricey. So, a little unknown joint barely scratching out a living ain't likely to buy Prime brisket.

<scratches head> I've had pretty good luck with the occasional choice grade I've gotten at Costco. Ideally, yes, prime is good.

Best brisket I've smoked was an upper 2/3 choice from Creekstone. Sure wish they'd offer those again, on sale or not on sale I'd grab a couple.

And I was looking at choice packers at the grocery store Sunday, they were priced right a $4 a pound and had plenty of marbling.

Unless its wagyu or SRF or Creekstone prime ........... grading brisket is a crap shoot. The beef is graded by the ribeye, which doesn't mean the brisket is prime.

If you can get upper 2/3rds choice (like Certified Angus Beef) it's usually comparable to prime and slightly cheaper. Damn, Lynn posted that as I was writing this post.

Last edited:
Tough crowd. I probably shoulda said "...(Prime-like...)...". Anyway, the point was you can't make a great piece of meat out of a boot.

I bet there aren't many here that don't pick thru the Choice stack of any cut of beef they are buying, looking for that gem that has marbling that rivals or beats those in the Prime stack. You know who you are. ;)

Back