HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!!!!!!!!

I've got some pastrami curing but we probably won't actually eat that til saturday. Tonight unfortunately won't be anything awesome.

Due to the apparent shenanigans, the local diner ended up with rather more corned beef & cabbage than they're going to need. I'm heading down to pick up a couple of pans for dinner (and leftovers, YUM!) I don't know what Chris puts in his sauce, but it's just plain addictive. Dinner should go nicely with a Spiral Brewing stout I have in the fridge.

DH was able to score a couple of corned beef the other day and of course the cabbage. He also bought some rye bread. For leftover corned beef sandwiches, of course. lol

We had a corned beef point last night because my wife has a Kohl's shift tonight, but there's enough left over for a couple of sandwiches (on rye with a local Swiss cheese). Flats and rounds were running about $4.89-5.29/lb. but points were $2.49, and that's my preferred cut anyway.

I picked up 2 flats and 2 points last week before all the panic buying started. Yesterday I grabbed the cabbage, carrots and red potatoes ( slim pickings) and the last loaf of rye bread.
Today's is my Wife's (Kelly) birthday so we always do it up right with plenty of leftovers to do CB hash and Colcannon later.
Oh and you have to have the creamy horsy sauce.:)
Tim

Since I'm on my own for dinner and there's leftover corned beef in the fridge, I think I'm going to make an open-face sandwich tonight. Toast a piece of rye, add mustard, beef and Swiss cheese, and put it under the broiler for a couple of minutes. If it turns out well (and I can't imagine otherwise) I'll make one for my wife when she gets home from work.

I picked up 2 flats and 2 points last week before all the panic buying started. Yesterday I grabbed the cabbage, carrots and red potatoes ( slim pickings) and the last loaf of rye bread.
Today's is my Wife's (Kelly) birthday so we always do it up right with plenty of leftovers to do CB hash and Colcannon later.
Oh and you have to have the creamy horsy sauce.:)
Tim
HAPPY BIRTHDAY KELLY!!!!!!!!! What a great day to be born on. Hope you have a wonderful time and a great life.

Well, I have been distracted with the kitchen redo, and total street reconstruction from water lines on up so, I forgot totally about the Feast of St. Patrick until last night when I slid a (commercial) corned beef flat into the crockpot, about seven. Come 3 PM today I give it a late poke and it feels just right. Realizing that I have chicken breasts which might be questionable if I wait too long, coupled with the consideration that wife’s son, and the grand children enjoy the tradional dinner almost as much as I do, I snagged another one and popped number one in the fridge and will let #2 go until tomorrow evening chill, and pan the pair of them, chill and slice whilst cold and firm and reheat on Saturday!
Scored some beautiful little Brussels sprouts, perfect sized head of cabbage and a good deal on carrots. Sadly, I could not find a drop of buttermilk (allrecipes, soda bread) nor eggs!
Thank God, that there was Guinness and Bushmills!
So, non traditional feast tonight but, will translate to Saturday for greater enjoyment👍!
Oh, and ice!
So Joan. Did you find any John Wayne literature you do not have? “J.W.” Cookbooks almost without exception strike me as “non family” hooey. The biographies are a little different.
My vacation “travel bar” is a set of saddlebags which also carry family games or sundry’s from the suttlers store!😉

Last edited:
I made a Rueben and called it a day. I did wear my Ireland T shirt. I never understood why Catholics put St Pat’s in the middle of Lent.

Back