Hanging meat in the WSM

Paulie;
I gave you the correct number but Cabela's redirects to the 22.5 rack. That's what leads me to believe that they are out of the 18.5 model. Give them a call and see what they say.

Bob, I clicked on the Firecraft link and they say "The item is no longer for sale". "It must be a commie plot"��

At this point, a call to Weber may clear this up. They may just be temporarily out of stock (seasonably?). I would hate to think they are dropping this. I, personably have checked a dozen or so different possible sources after I received mine without success.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53

Bob;
Here's hopin' that you got one!
I, too, was a bit "put off" by the price on the hooks (more hooks than I needed, etc.) but, now that I got them, "not so much":eek:.

Tomorrow, we begin to try the set up out with some St. Louis cut ribs. I was going to use Memphis dry rub as per Cook's Country but have reconsidered. I believe I'll go with Harry Soo's rub and some Honey Chipotle BBQ sauce. I'll put the rub on tonight and refrigerate the rubbed ribs overnight. Then, sometime tomorrow, I'll BUILD A FIRE!:wsm:

Can you believe it? It is supposed to be 61 degrees tomorrow, the 18th day of February. You just flat gotta LOVE IT!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

61? Phtttt, 74 here for tomorrow :)

Just got a call from Firecraft, they don't have any more racks, so I won't need any hooks.
I amended my other post.

Have fun Robert!

Paulie;
I gave you the correct number but Cabela's redirects to the 22.5 rack. That's what leads me to believe that they are out of the 18.5 model. Give them a call and see what they say.

Bob, I clicked on the Firecraft link and they say "The item is no longer for sale". "It must be a commie plot"��

At this point, a call to Weber may clear this up. They may just be temporarily out of stock (seasonably?). I would hate to think they are dropping this. I, personably have checked a dozen or so different possible sources after I received mine without success.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53

That's what I figured...this site Goedeker's has them for $30 and wants $30 to ship to Jersey?!? It's 5 lbs rip off! Going to measure inside of WSM tomorrow and purchase rebar and shape it to form a triangle to rest on shelf lips. Order some hooks from Pit Barrel cooker.

Enjoy this warm weekend weather everyone!

Thanks again fellas

Cheers

That's what I figured...this site Goedeker's has them for $30 and wants $30 to ship to Jersey?!? It's 5 lbs rip off! Going to measure inside of WSM tomorrow and purchase rebar and shape it to form a triangle to rest on shelf lips. Order some hooks from Pit Barrel cooker.

Enjoy this warm weekend weather everyone!

Thanks again fellas

Cheers
Goedeker's is a local StL area home furnishing store, and I had called them about the rack to make sure they were indeed in stock.
The guy told me they ship directly from Weber, so I told him Weber is out of stock.
He said something like his Weber contact assures him they are available, so I knew there was no need to take the conversation any further.

Guess we'll see if Weber just made one run of these with no plans for another.

EPIC FAIL!!!
I MUST fess up! Maybe I can save someone else from an error in judgement.

The weather was magnificent for February. 65 degrees and a bit of wind. I put one chimney full of Kingsford Original unlit in the smoker (18.5" WSM). I dumped a full lit chimney spread carefully over the top. The temperature without the water pan climbed almost instantly. I had my Maverick 732 smoker probe hanging from the top lip of the barrel. After I closed the smoker up the Weber therm and the Maverick agreed for the rest of the cook within 4 degrees!

I put a medium coat of Harry Soo's basic rub (home mixed) on both sides of the ribs several hours before smoking (in the refrigerator). I hung the ribs from the second bone of the thickest end of the rib rack. I closed up the smoker and set the vents (about 1/4 open on the bottom and full open on the top). The smoker settled between my target temp of 275 to 300 degrees without effort. I used no wood, just the grease dropping on the fire. There was PLENTY of smoke (great smell, by the way).

I checked each hour on the hour. At the three hour mark, I pulled a rack and it was "just about" ready. They looked gorgeous. This is where I made a BAD decision. I decided to let them go another thirty minutes. When I opened the smoker, two racks were down on the fire burning like the best of kindling:mad::mad::mad:. I should have pulled them at three hours. Just flat stupid, no excuse whatsoever. I did not plan on wrapping, I wanted them just as they finished.

We managed to save one rack of ribs. The bark was magnificent, the ribs were moist, and the flavor was outstanding as was the "chew". Tender, but not mushy. Shudda, wudda, cudda!!!

One rack had the hook pull through the meat to drop to the fire below. The other rack just flat fell apart into the fire.

For those that have an 18.5 WSM, there is enough room for St. Louis full racks with the Weber expandable rack and PBC hooks. However, the next time, I will be cutting the racks in half. I have the room with the 18.5" and I certainly have the hooks (you have to buy a full package of 8 from PBC). This will reduce the weight on the hooks by 50% and if you let the ribs cook a bit too long they won't fall into the fire. Further, the ribs will be cooked evenly. The one rack left hanging had it's toes a bit singed:eek:.

Well, I was sad, but I am trying to be philosophical about the mishap. I will consider this just a learning experience. The ribs salvaged were outstanding, to me. I love good bark and these had it in spades. The ribs were juicy and the tenderness was perfectly OK (think competition ribs or maybe a bit more tender). The flavor was outstanding. I will not be wrapping the next ribs, either, but if you prefer fall off the bone, the half racks will be easy to wrap, pull the hanging rack, drop in the top grate and stack the wrapped ribs on the grate.

If I had it to do over again, I definitely would buy the hooks from PBC. I would make my own hook remover by just using a piece of dowel or a piece of broomstick and run a hook eye in the end.

One thing I learned, for sure, that hanging ribs is a GOOD way to cook (if you don't over cook and drop them into the fire:mad:).

I am NOT going to share any photos of my cook. I want to forget THAT part as soon as possible (actually not forget, just FIX and move on:p).

Now, I hope Weber is going to ship more hanging racks as it is a GOOD accessory and I, in spite of my problems, will be using mine a LOT in the future.

Keep on smokin',

Last edited:
Paulie;

Keep on smokin',
Dale53

Well, I'm wondering: does the same rack fit both 18" and 22"? On the canadian home depot site (which have them in stock/online order only), they say
  • The Weber Original™ Expandable Smoking Rack fits both the 22.5 Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker™ Smoker
Doesn't make much sense is why I ask. Says both but only lists one is weird.
I've got one that fits my 18" so I don't have any concerns.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.expandable-smoking-rack.1000811235.html

Last edited:
Just ordered on one for my 22 from Target. Only showed 2 left at that time. Another possibility is to try places like the local Ace Hardwares. You never know what you will find.

.. two racks were down on the fire burning like the best of kindling...

Sorry to learn of your mishap. In addition to a couple WSM's I do actually have the PBC and hang ribs in it on occasion. By luck, I have not yet lost any meat but in case you would someday treat yourself to even a weightier piece of meat hanging in the WSM I'll mention that I've also hung a couple briskets in it [the PBC]. For those heavier pieces you can use a two-hook placement and the PBC site for the brisket recipe illustrates how to daisy chain two hooks.

But I'll be darned if you guys didn't persuade me to order a hanger for my WSM 22 :p

Weber shows two different part numbers for the 22.5" and 18.5". I only have the 18.5" hanger but don't believe it would begin to work on the 22.5".

Hopefully, Weber will offer it again once "Grilling Season" starts again. We grill most any day in decent weather around here and don't have "Grilling Season" but retailers sure do.

Keep on smokin',

Just ordered on one for my 22 from Target. Only showed 2 left at that time. Another possibility is to try places like the local Ace Hardwares. You never know what you will find.

I ordered the 22" last night from target and there was only 4 then. Going fast.

Garvin's thread sucked me in as well, just ordered the rack and hooks.

Anything I need to do different with this style of cooking? Similar amount of wood, temp, etc?

So... what would be the difference between hanging the meat, (ribs), from a rod over a fire, or placing the ribs in a rib rack on edge, over a fire?

I'm going to comment here, in spite of the fact that I have done exactly ONE cook using my new hanger system (see "epic fail"):eek:. That's post #30 in this thread.

Since there are no racks or water pan, clean up is markedly easier. The hanger raises the ribs, as an example up in the "air" so the fat dripping on the fire causes no flare up to the meat. However, the fat dripping on the fire bathes the meat in a smokey, delicious "fog" that just flat makes it a near spiritual affair sinking your teeth into said ribs. I flat out LOVE my ribs smoked conventionally on the WSM. I like them even better using the hanger. Neither way is a negative but having choices is always a good thing. In the near future, I plan to hang some half chickens for smoking, too.

Keep on smokin',

Last edited:
I just ordered one for my 18.5 on gertens.com for $34.99, the girl in customer service said they had 3 left so after my purchase that would leave two for anyone interested in it.

Back