Grilled Vietnamese chicken

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
A standing favorite that’s salty, sweet and with a little heat.

1687314397449.jpeg

1687314414035.jpeg

1687314430661.jpeg

1687314451075.jpeg

Carrot, daikon, English cuke slaw with seasoned rice vinegar, fish sauce, brown sugar, garlic, black pepper, sesame oil.

1687314525120.jpeg
1687320715036.jpeg

Will go with some steamed white rice (basmati).

Chef’s 🧑‍🍳 plate

1687315982120.jpeg

Last edited:
Brett take his BBQing serious. Looks awesome my friend
This is a very high flavor, low effort cook. I’ve deceived you here 😆😆😆

It’s classic street food. It’d make a killer fusion taco too with these ingredients.

I would have added cilantro but my stash was in poor condition. My bad.

I really like the char on that chicken! Beautiful!
thanks.

that's the brown sugar caramelizing from the sear and then indirect. i'll post the ingredients next so those who can whip things up can dial this in without more detailed amounts until i draft the actual recipe.

here's a stab at what's going on in this recipe. i'll have to dial this in in more detail for you to replicate this recipe and cook.

this was 2 boneless breasts (skin on, as i deboned them myself from split breasts. i use the rib carcass for soup stock here, along with the thigh bones, so you're going to get an incredible stock as a side benefit), and 7 boneless thighs, skin on.

first, i lightly salted the breasts and thighs.

next i added, fish sauce (3 Crabs brand, I usually use Red Boat but for some reason i was out. Red Boat is my preferred brand due to its high quality)
lime juice
soy sauce
brown sugar
neutral oil
rice vinegar
black pepper - heavy dosing
gran garlic - heavy dosing
red pepper flakes - to your taste

combined all these ingredients and marinated the chicken for 30 minutes on the countertop.

the preferred marinate time is 8 hours or overnight. the chicken will absorb a lot of flavor when you pre-salt it. that allows the protein strands to open up and drink in the marinade liquids/flavors.

using high hear, sear the chicken pieces, skin side down. PAY ATTENTION as it will burn due to the brown sugar in this recipe. then flip to sear the meat side.

after seared, move to indirect, high heat, 400F, and cook through which should run around 30 minutes. breasts should be pulled at 155F, then rested, and thighs should be 175F, and then rested.

this recipe and method produced VERY crispy skin. the flavor profile is a very good balance of sweet, salty and slight heat.

this can easily be a skewered meal and served for large gatherings. who doesn't like meat on a stick?

this goes well with thinly sliced green onions (scallions), fresh cucumbers, tomatoes, daikon radish, shredded cabbage and julienne carrots and of course, white or fried rice!

you can turn these into fusion tacos too. chop the cooked chicken up and layer into a tortilla, add some cilantro, cabbage, julienne cukes, chopped tomatoes and top with some sambal and lime.

it'll take me some time to build the actual recipe. my personal time is becoming very tight right now and will free up after Aug 1. but after Aug 1, i'll have new recipes from Rome, Greece and Spain to cook and share.

So whats in your marinade?

We make Vietnamese chicken quite often.
See post just above this one. https://tvwbb.com/threads/grilled-vietnamese-chicken.95195/post-1101366

if you'd like more next-level Vietnamese flavor, you should add in the white parts of lemon grass, chopped or mortared the heck out of to release its flavors. some people may not have access to fresh lemongrass, thus i omitted it from this Americanized version of Vietnamese chicken. and thai chilis too will amp up the heat index. i do have dried thai chilis that i'll run through the spice grinder and add to this dish. they can be quite hot, and above non-heat eaters desire for heat (comfortable heat).

Last edited:

Back