Grilled extra meaty baby back ribs

Michael C.

TVWBB Gold Member
I picked up some extra meaty baby back ribs, used one of my favorite rib rubs, and instead of my usual way of smoking them, I decided to grill them up instead. I flipped the ribs about every 5 minutes or so, until they looked done to me. They ribs turned out great!!! Moist, nice little smoke ring, with a nice chew to the meat. Ribs were delicious. I was also happy to see the Hickory charcoal marked down at my local Kmart too.

Extra meaty ribs.

Great deal on this charcoal.

Ribs on, face down at first.

Ribs are done.

Nice color.

Sliced.

Lets eat!! Thanks for looking :)

Last edited:
I regularly get thick ribs like those from Costco (maybe from the same supplier). I've always smoked them (either indirect in my OTG or Performer or, the last few years, in my smokers). I am intrigued about the possibility of grilling ribs direct. In fact, I mentioned this very thing to my wife today. I'm going to give them a try.

Your ribs look WONDERFUL! I have been entirely happy with my ribs but but the idea of having ribs done in a fraction of the time bears looking into, for sure...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Great looking ribs Michael. I grilled my first BBs last week using Jim Lampe's method, came out perfect. My go to for BBs from now on.

Swift BB's are about all I cook. Get them at Costco in three packs. Had great success with them. I also like them as the membrane is already removed. You did a mighty fine job on yours Michael. Unique cook. You got a great deal on that charcoal too.

Back