Green Genesis 1000LX Build

That's handy but...
The woodworking is my favorite part!!
Few tools, NO shop! I have used his shop and infringed on his skill more than once. I’m not doing anything as a flip resale or anything my projects are pretty much all for myself and the benefit of others! Rock has been my banjo player for 49 years, we don’t playas much as we used to but, I can get together with him for fun and after ten minutes (usually) my hands remember how to make some music!
Best friend? No, BROTHER!
I’d trust him with my wife and my dog, if I had a dog.😉

Few tools, NO shop! I have used his shop and infringed on his skill more than once. I’m not doing anything as a flip resale or anything my projects are pretty much all for myself and the benefit of others! Rock has been my banjo player for 49 years, we don’t playas much as we used to but, I can get together with him for fun and after ten minutes (usually) my hands remember how to make some music!
Best friend? No, BROTHER!
I’d trust him with my wife and my dog, if I had a dog.😉
That is so cool!!! Friends/brothers like that are rare. I'm very picky about who I surround myself with and I have a very small circle of close friends/family.

Yeah same for me I'm not flipping these older Weber's. I would lose my *** for sure LOL. I only flip newer Webers.

Also I wish I had a nice big shop but I move stuff around in my garage and make it work. I like building furniture and refinishing old hardwood furniture and working with my hands to create something from scratch.

Looking forward to retirement. I won't be bored for a second I can promise you that.

Absolutely. Currently working on my little Junior and made them 15-5/8" and the tops are 15-1/4"... also chamfered the edges and they seem to be a good "snug" fit. Here's a few teaser pics.

View attachment 96109View attachment 96110View attachment 96114
View attachment 96116
Very nice work Eric, I can't wait to see the finished product. I chamfer the edges of my wood slats too, like the profile of a durawood slat. I find that to be more attractive. The handle is the hard part and it looks like you're nailing it.

Absolutely. Currently working on my little Junior and made them 15-5/8" and the tops are 15-1/4"... also chamfered the edges and they seem to be a good "snug" fit. Here's a few teaser pics.

View attachment 96116
Chris have you tested the 15 5/8" slats on the bottom. Seems to me they would be a little bit tight?

View attachment 96116
Chris you are running 15 5/8" on the bottom. Have you tested the fit? Seems a little bit tight? I'm in the process of doing all my math for my cuts and my spacing from top tables to bottoms is a quarter inch different. So I'm thinking 15 1/2" for the bottom tables compared to my 15 1/4 for the top? Just curious your thoughts?

I would double-check the inside measurement on the bottom frame vs the top. Makes sense with 1" cross-member tubing bars with 1 1/4" legs the bottom slats could be made 1/4" longer but not 5/8"

I made mine all the same 15 1/4".

Since you have 2 perfect original grills to measure, did Weber really make slats longer on the bottom tray?

I would double-check the inside measurement on the bottom frame vs the top. Makes sense with 1" cross-member tubing bars with 1 1/4" legs the bottom slats could be made 1/4" longer but not 5/8"

I made mine all the same 15 1/4".

Since you have 2 perfect original grills to measure, did Weber really make slats longer on the bottom tray?
Glad you're here Mark!

Yes I've measured several of my upper and lower tables and they are consistently a quarter inch different.

I understand for practicality purpose that Weber would make them all exactly the same size and anyone restoring these is absolutely in the right to do the same.

I'm going to get a little bit more technical. With the bottom tables being a little bit bigger in both directions I'm going to make my slats a bit bigger in both directions to accommodate. I'm going to maintain a consistent 1/4 gap between slats. This will make my upper slats 15 1/4 long × 1 9/16" wide and my lower table slats 15 1/12" long × 1 3/4" wide. This will give me the proper number of slats with a consistent quarter inch Gap between them. Measuring my handle depth allowance it looks like that will be 1 3/4" wide.

I would be very happy to hear anyone's thoughts on it? Please let me know what you think? Before I start cutting this beautiful wood into pieces.

My math and figures are based on my top tables having the wood flush to both ends of the z-metal and my lower tables having the wood 1/8" in from both ends of the z-metal so that when the lower tables are pushed together there's a quarter inch between slats

Back