Gotta thank Tony for his Carne Asada recipe!

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
The whole fam damily said these are by far the best Carne Asade Tacos we have ever eaten. Let me explain: I grew up in Texas. I have literally eaten grilled steak tacos my entire life. My New Years resolution is to make authentic dishes. This definitely fits the bill. My 4 yr old grandson even told me how good these are. The key ingredient to this dish was the Chef Merito Carne Asada Seasoning Tony sent along with his marinade recipe. I've been waiting for the right time to try this and tonight is the night for the Ohio State game.

Here are the ingredients

Here's Tony's recipe:

Carne Asada
Tony and Maribel
4 pounds of flap meat seasoned with Chef Merito. http://www.chefmerito.com/meat-seasoning.aspx

juice of 3 limes
juice of 3 oranges
1/4 onion chopped
1/4 bunch of cilantro
2 tbs of cumin
1 tbs of garlic powder
1 tbs of oregano
1/2 a corona
1/2 cup of water
1/4 cup of oil

Let it be happy for 2-4 hours.

...and here's my application:

I used one piece of Mesquite for the smoke spice

Once again I serve mine simply with cheese, guacamole and Albert's Hot Sauce

Thanks Tony!

Food looks great? Where did you find the flap meat? Would the seasonings be something I could find at a Mexican grocery store? I will definitely have to try these.

Food looks great? Where did you find the flap meat? Would the seasonings be something I could find at a Mexican grocery store? I will definitely have to try these.

Publix has it here. I used Skirt Steak. The link I posted has the mail order web page.

That looks great and thanks for sharing Tony’s recipe and the source for the Carne Asada seasoning.

This is likely going to be a ridiculous question, but did you season the steak, let rest a while, then marinade? Or marinade, then season, then grill?

Looks amazing! You forgot the CI with the refried beans, tho :)

You don't know how close I was to making Tony's rice and beans but the whistle fruit has a very melodious affect on me so I refrained.

This is likely going to be a ridiculous question, but did you season the steak, let rest a while, then marinade? Or marinade, then season, then grill?

season, marinade, then grill

Last edited:
Looks great!!! Well done! I am going to have to deviate from my usual Carne marinade and test out Tony and Maribel's recipe.

Back