Got my Vieluxe, now what??

You didn't pick the easiest one, Loc, but you did get the BEST. Be patient and careful, and you will ultimately be well rewarded. (y) Not many people are blessed to own a Vieluxe today.

Thank you very much Jon. During the teardown, I repeatedly thought of how few people get to dismantle a Vieluxe. Feel blessed indeed. During my rehab project, I hope I can do justice to the craftspeople who originally made it.

Last edited:
I think it is already dead. You task is to bring it back to life and make it sing again.
Thanks a lot Bruce, a more upbeat perspective for me to adopt.

If I do revive it, it may end up killing me instead. Earlier, I said there were a few bolts and nuts missing. One missing nut belonged to a bolt that holds the front of the sideburner down to the frame. Without it, a fully loaded and open shelf might seesaw the burners up off the frame. Luckily, I found replacements k-lock nuts at Fastenal.

However, while tightening the nut, it forces sideburner down onto the cam valve attached to the gas supply line to the sideburner.

I believe the cam valve is designed to be a safety feature, shutting off gas to sideburner when side table is closed. The sideburners were hardly used when I acquired the grill but I imagine when loaded with heavy pots, there would be even more pressure gradually rocking the cam valve loose??? I must secure the sideburner, but will I risk inadvertently getting torched by the cam valve safety feature???

Loc, you have a working Gennie, right?

Take your time and do it right and soon you'll be at the 99th percentile of grill owners.

And, don't send the plat Gennie away for a while. Two grills are always better than one.

I
Loc, you have a working Gennie, right?

Take your time and do it right and soon you'll be at the 99th percentile of grill owners.

And, don't send the plat Gennie away for a while. Two grills are always better than one.
I see your logic of keeping my working Gennie. Large+jumbo grill is ultimate combo. I must make more friends and family to justify this.

That's just nice to see, that kind of attention to detail. It does exist, I like that level, and it is still available, you just have to look for it. Great find, I'm excited for you for that grill!

Loc,
It has so cool that you are posting these detail pictures. THANKS😎! Most of us have never seen a Vieluxe in person. Yes, these grills were hand built and the attention to detail definitely shows. I doubt there are any gas grills with as much thought and detail put into their design and construction. Don’t get me wrong, there are some superb all stainless grills such as Fire Magic, Wolf, Lynx and a few others. I don’t think they have quite the reach for the stars design and craftsmanship, though. Hang in there - we are all enjoying the ride!

Reactions: Loc
Looking at the Amazon listing, the shipping weight is nearly 700lbs! You probably need a cherry picker (engine hoist) to get the firebox out of it.

Looking at the Amazon listing, the shipping weight is nearly 700lbs! You probably need a cherry picker (engine hoist) to get the firebox out of it.
When I look at something like this, it makes me think of the Jaguar automobile, that was the #1 luxury car for losing it's resale value after purchase at one time. Beautiful cars, but the people that can afford those cars can afford to buy new ones rather than maintain or repair their aging vehicles.

Jaguar has arguably made some of the most beautiful cars ever made (think XKE), and to me those cars are truly timeless. I think you have one of those timeless objects in the Vieluxe, and the previous owner's loss is definitely your gain! It's good to see these grills fall into the hands of people that care. Like I say, timeless...ageless. Congrats again!

According to Chris Allingham’s writeup which includes the link to the Vieluxe brochure, the 56” version weighs in at:

440lbs

Perhaps Amazon adds 260lbs of: 2B09518F-AD87-404E-AF28-5C03A086DA98.jpeg

Seriously, after I dragged the Vieluxe down the driveway, my first rehab purchase was ibuprofen. The second was ball bearing caster wheels (https://thecasterguy.com/product/3-12-x-1-14-polyurethane-on-polypropylene-wheel-15190/).

The third should have been antibiotic creme. A nightly ritual, an unforeseen consequence, of dismantling a Vieluxe is tweezing out metal splinters:

5870AC01-79CD-42B0-8B04-696C985E866A.jpeg

According to Chris Allingham’s writeup which includes the link to the Vieluxe brochure, the 56” version weighs in at:

440lbs

The picture seems to show 2 people moving it out of the trailer...2 people would not be able lift 700lbs between them without some sort of apparatus, I don't think...but they are movers, after all! I saw 2 guys easily lift a 19cf refrigerator with a sling-like affair.

Yeah, I was looking at those earlier...are the originals rubber on a metal wheel? They look like metal in the pictures.

The third should have been antibiotic creme. A nightly ritual, an unforeseen consequence, of dismantling a Vieluxe is tweezing out metal splinters:
Sometimes you don't know you have them until they fester up.

The firebox should not weigh much differently than a Summit of that era. It's pretty easy to lift out. On the Summit you remove the manifold and burners, tilt the back of the box up and out it comes

The picture seems to show 2 people moving it out of the trailer...2 people would not be able lift 700lbs between them without some sort of apparatus, I don't think...but they are movers, after all! I saw 2 guys easily lift a 19cf refrigerator with a sling-like affair.

Yeah, I was looking at those earlier...are the originals rubber on a metal wheel? They look like metal in the pictures.

Sometimes you don't know you have them until they fester up.
Movers had 8ft trailer with ramp to unload grill. Unfortunately, each wheel was either flatsided or seized from rubber debanding from plastic core due to age. It was figuratively and literally limping in.

As replacements, I ordered polyurethane on polypropylene core but upgraded to ball bearing shaft. Costing $6.84 each, it’s a guiltless splurge.

Btw, regardless of model or vintage, the Vieluxe shares one immutable trait: the scent. It was instantly familiar. You know, charred bits, cold grease, faint dish soap…it fills the hatchback and garage.

Are the firebox sides cast aluminum, or is all of it stainless steel? Hard for me to tell from the pictures.

Back