Got a Center Pork Roast... Now it's time to ask for advice.

Timothy,
I just took a look at, this that is next level!!!! I think this is something I will have to try down the road!
Been on my list to make for a long time, but I just never thought I could do them as well as the local German Wursthaus (Dittmer's for you locals.) My dad and I used to each get a chop, and we'd eat them cold while watching Bundesliga games (with Toby Charles on the mic, if anyone is old enough to remember him!) :)

R

I'm lazy, so I just bank coals on one side (with or without baskets.) I think I'd maybe go bones toward the fire until you hit your pre-sear temp. If you aren't going to sear, then I might go bones down, and rotate 90 or 180 degrees every 8-10 minutes or so. ....but, like I said, I'm lazy, so others may have different ideas (which will also work great.) :) Temp? I'm not a precision guy when it comes to this kind of cook, and temp. I'll just fire up a chimney (Weber, standard), shut my vent to maybe 10% open once it's ready to cook, and just let the temp be what it will be. (Did I mention I'm lazy?)

R
Rich, I like the way you cook! :LOL:

Been on my list to make for a long time, but I just never thought I could do them as well as the local German Wursthaus (Dittmer's for you locals.) My dad and I used to each get a chop, and we'd eat them cold while watching Bundesliga games (with Toby Charles on the mic, if anyone is old enough to remember him!) :)

R
The voice of my childhood for European soccer was Tommy Smith covering the champions league on espn. I can stilll hear his voice in my head.I remember running off the bus in middle school to watch those Wednesday and Thursday matches, food was never as good as you and your dad's bundesliga fare!

Timothy, that looks really wonderful! And really, in the scope of some of the complicated things often discussed here, not terribly difficult!
That was my thought also, reminded me of when I learned about how to make bacon on this site. I really think, learn about this cut with a few cooks and then I need to take a stab at this.

I like to do a wet marinade overnight then a rub. Indirect around 350 with some smoke. I stand them up and let them go until about 140 internal. You want it hot enough to get a little crust. Slicing is sometimes a little tricky but if you can get a clean cut on those bad boys it is a pretty sight! Good luck!

Attachments

• 9490C25D-BD80-4F1E-9049-42388DFDE0CF.jpeg
    9490C25D-BD80-4F1E-9049-42388DFDE0CF.jpeg
    269 KB · Views: 4
  • EFE07112-3169-423E-96E7-B191532DD111.jpeg
    EFE07112-3169-423E-96E7-B191532DD111.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 4
Not sure if anyone else loves mashed potatoes with pork chops as much as I do, BUT... I have to share this. I've been making mashed potatoes for 20+ years and using a hand held masher 99.9% of the time. Lately, I've been watching Sam the Cooking Guy on Youtube, and he was really talking up his potato ricer so I figured what the heck, I'll try give it a try. I bought one for < $20 and just tried it this week.

Sam was right. Potato ricer is the way to go. The texture is so much lighter, and it seems to take a lot less milk/cream and salt to get the flavor right. I went from 3 star reviews with the wife and kids to 5 stars, just like that. Of course, I don't think there is much other use for a potato ricer, but even so, I think it's worth it if you make mashed potatoes once a month or so.

Riced potatoes are a different texture to be sure. You can make play dough hair with them! Maybe mashed cauliflower then rice it, not cauliflower rice but, you get the idea.
I use mine on and off, not all the time but, sometimes.

So today is the day. First thing I did this morning was get it rinsed and dried. Then I decided to remove the membrane on the ribs. Next I did my best at a smooth cross hatch cut through the fat side.
IMG_20210213_104216.jpg
I mixed up a simple rub of EVOO, salt, pepper, garlic, and a teaspoon of brown mustard (so I could say it was in there😁). That is now on the pork roast which is now in the frig loosely covered waiting for later.
IMG_20210213_104238.jpg
Plan on serving with mashed potatoes, fresh green beans, and first ever attempt at pork gravy.

Hey I posted my cook in the photo gallery, besides struggling with the cutting, it went really good! Thank you everyone for the advice!

Not sure if anyone else loves mashed potatoes with pork chops as much as I do
A restaurant served me a grilled pork chop. One of their sides was fancy cheese grits, maybe with Gouda. A match made in heaven. I told the waitress that she must insist that anyone who ordered the pork chop also get the cheese grits.

Back