Got a Center Pork Roast... Now it's time to ask for advice.

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
On my last big new cook a single bone Rib Eye Roast after Rich G. called it just a steakšŸ˜‰, he recommended a rack of pork as my next big new cook.

When Rich D. backed that recommended I was on it. So at the Butcher today asked and this is what he said I was looking for. I got myself a 3 bone just over 4 lb Center Pork Roast. Looks very similar to what Rich G. recommended except it has part of the chop bone still attached.
Now it is time to ask for advice. I have zero experience with this... how do I prep this, do I leave that fat or trip it? What about that chop bone?How do I season it? How do I cook this, times, temps, to what internal temps? I have the kettle and the WSM, Weber charcoal baskets, and vortex at my ready. How do I make the most of those loin ribs still attached? What do I serve this with? And all the other questions I am missing.
And advice is welcome!
Thanks in advance as always guys!

IMG_20210203_154044.jpg
IMG_20210203_154054.jpg

IMG_20210203_154102.jpgIMG_20210203_154119.jpgIMG_20210203_154131.jpg

Last edited:
You're in great shape, Michael! So many different things you could do. One of my favorite preparations for pork roast.......

Mix together 2-3 Tbsp dijon mustard with enough olive oil to make a nice paste consistency. Add salt, pepper, and whatever herbs you like with pork (for me, thyme, oregano, basil in whatever combination I feel like), and some minced garlic (3 cloves or so?) Slather this all over the pork roast, then cook indirect until it hits about 135-138F. Then do a nice direct sear on the three non-bone sides, remove, rest loosely covered for about 10 minutes.

Remove the bones from the roast, and cave some good 1/2-3/4" slices. If you are feeling generous, you can share the bones with the family......if you aren't feeling generous, well..... :)

If you are a briner, then by all means add a brine step before the above.....

R

I might be tempted to take a very sharp knife and score a cross hatch pattern in the fat cap and then use Richā€™s Dijon oil herb paste. Then I usually go straight indirect method, with a couple chunks of cherry and hot smoke it maybe 45 minutes of until internal temp is where you want it.
Iā€™m not a huge fan of reverse sear, especially when itā€™s 8 degrees outside. Just not a method that I use.

Michael, did you add the meat photos later? If not, they must not have loaded when I first saw your post. Anyway, that looks like a really nice hunk of meat! I agree with Timothy, cross hatch that fat, then either smear the mustard paste on it, or just go with your favorite rub. I love to visual of the cross-hatched fat! :) (oh, and when it gets crispy, it's the best bite!) :)

R

Like Rich G said so many ways to do these and I like the approach he posted.
Here's a brine I really like for pork roasts. I usually go just 12 hours but you can go up to 24 hours. I then put a light coat of mustard and salt free Italian seasoning on it just before grilling it indirect without any smoke.
The recipe calls for pulling it at 155, but I pull mine at 138-140 max
Let us know what you did and how you liked it.

BRINED PORK ROAST

INGREDIENTS

2 quarts water or 2 quarts apple juice
1ā„3 cup kosher salt (coarse grain)
1ā„4 cup granulated sugar or 1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon thyme
3 bay leaves
5 whole cloves
10 juniper berries, crushed (optional)
1 teaspoon anise seed
1 teaspoon black peppercorns, crushed
1 pork roast, any size

DIRECTIONS

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer gently for 15 minutes.

Cool to room temperature.

Immerse pork roast of your choice in the cooled brine mixture, and refrigerate for 12 hours or overnight (up to 24 hours) turning occasionally if necessary for even brining.

Remove roast from brine, rinse, and pat dry with paper towels, and roast (on a rack or grill pan) according to your favorite recipe until a thermometer, inserted in the center of the roast, reads 155 degrees.

Allow the roast to rest for 20 minutes before carving.

(Roast may be coated with mustard, breadcrumbs or glaze of your choice before or during roasting, if desired.) NOTE: Smaller cuts of pork, such as pork tenderloins, may also be brined in this way- but should be immersed in the brine solution for proportionately less time, to avoid over-salting.

I would not spin one that small, one that was six ribs or more? Maybe, donā€™t get me wrong, I love whirling meats and poultry, some things really benefit from it, this is not that big, itā€™s size is going to cook pretty much with even heat absorption from all the ā€œnon boneā€ sides once the bones get their heat, that adds to the party. A longer piece will cook more ā€œcylindricallyā€, this will act more like a cube (sort of) itā€™s going to cook almost as much from the ends as from the fat side.

I would not spin one that small, one that was six ribs or more? Maybe, donā€™t get me wrong, I love whirling meats and poultry, some things really benefit from it, this is not that big, itā€™s size is going to cook pretty much with even heat absorption from all the ā€œnon boneā€ sides once the bones get their heat, that adds to the party. A longer piece will cook more ā€œcylindricallyā€, this will act more like a cube (sort of) itā€™s going to cook almost as much from the ends as from the fat side.
Iā€™m new to the rotisserie game. I was thinking that spinning it with the bones and the fat toward the heat would work well but i could see where your explanation makes sense. Anyhow, looking forward to the results!

Michael, did you add the meat photos later?
Yay, while trying to get the photos in the original post I accidentally publish it. I immediately went to edit. I added the pics and finish up the post, when I went to re-publish it, I believe you had already given me great advice. Your just too fast for me Rich too fast!

If not, they must not have loaded when I first saw your post. Anyway, that looks like a really nice hunk of meat!
When I took a deep dive for old threads on this site all the others pieces of similar meat did not have what I will call the pork chop bone here in the upper left of the below photo.IMG_20210203_154054.jpg
Is that something I should trim off or will that bone add flavor to the cook?
I agree with Timothy, cross hatch that fat, then either smear the mustard paste on it, or just go with your favorite rub.
Ok cross hatch the fat, for it, if you and Tim agree to that then it's a go! I love the idea of the mustard, but my wife is not a fan, I know, I know... What does the mustard pasta cooked taste like? I am leaning towards: oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and then go from there.
I love to visual of the cross-hatched fat! :) (oh, and when it gets crispy, it's the best bite!) :)
So if I do the reverse sear fat side down? Do a role and get it in two sections!

Iā€™m new to the rotisserie game. I was thinking that spinning it with the bones and the fat toward the heat would work well but i could see where your explanation makes sense. Anyhow, looking forward to the results!
If I had a rotisserie I would have wanted to try it for this cook. That is going to be my next big purchase. I totally get what Tim is saying about the size of this meat. I will have to get this cook down without the rotisserie and then when I get that the roto get a bigger piece of meat and do it on there!

Last edited:
When I took a deep dive for old threads on this site all the others pieces of similar meat did not have what I will call the pork chop bone here in the upper left of the below photo. Is that something I should trim off or will that bone add flavor to the cook?
That, I believe, is called the chine bone. Typically you would either have your butcher remove that with the band saw, or (since you have it), just leave it on there. It won't negatively affect anything, and if you like gnawing on bones, then you have more to gnaw on! :)

What does the mustard pasta cooked taste like? I am leaning towards: oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and then go from there.
The mustard paste loses a lot of the mustard punch when it cooks. It should turn into a tasty, crusty layer of seasoning. If you've never done it before, though, and have hesitation, then oil/salt/pepper/garlic will work just great (I do that a lot, too.)
So if I do the reverse sear fat side down? Do a role and get it in two sections!
Yep, that's what I would do. Won't need long directly over hot coals.

Thanks everyone for the advice! Here are my follow up questions.
So Indirect with the Weber charcoal baskets?Goal to be 350 degrees or something higher or lower? True, two zone cooking with both baskets in the back and the meat on the other? Or one basket on each side with the meat in the middle?
If I do true two zone cookings do I do fat side towards the fire or the bone side towards the fire?

I'm lazy, so I just bank coals on one side (with or without baskets.) I think I'd maybe go bones toward the fire until you hit your pre-sear temp. If you aren't going to sear, then I might go bones down, and rotate 90 or 180 degrees every 8-10 minutes or so. ....but, like I said, I'm lazy, so others may have different ideas (which will also work great.) :) Temp? I'm not a precision guy when it comes to this kind of cook, and temp. I'll just fire up a chimney (Weber, standard), shut my vent to maybe 10% open once it's ready to cook, and just let the temp be what it will be. (Did I mention I'm lazy?)

R

I go ā€œSplit basketā€ with a drip pan in the middle, itā€™s just the way Iā€™ve always done it. Iā€™m certainly not saying you shouldnā€™t, couldnā€™t spin it, I just think itā€™s not necessarily the best method given the size.
Rich is right, itā€™s the chine bone. On or off, they will roast fine!
I would go full baskets, completely involved, bones down, vents fully open, and I would not touch it. Pretty ā€œpresentationā€ side up, I think I win the lazy cookie for this one Rich!šŸ¤£
No need to reverse sear, I do mine that way and they look like this:991B8DBF-3B54-4EBE-ACC9-FA2D5E91EDF8.jpeg
I ended up I re heating this in the oven but, it came off the ā€œoverperformerā€ looking just plain delicious.

I go ā€œSplit basketā€ with a drip pan in the middle, itā€™s just the way Iā€™ve always done it. Iā€™m certainly not saying you shouldnā€™t, couldnā€™t spin it, I just think itā€™s not necessarily the best method given the size.
Rich is right, itā€™s the chine bone. On or off, they will roast fine!
I would go full baskets, completely involved, bones down, vents fully open, and I would not touch it. Pretty ā€œpresentationā€ side up, I think I win the lazy cookie for this one Rich!šŸ¤£
No need to reverse sear, I do mine that way and they look like this:View attachment 22238
I ended up I re heating this in the oven but, it came off the ā€œoverperformerā€ looking just plain delicious.
I like the way the kettle cooks with the spilt basket so I like that idea. My thoughts are to keep it between 350 and 400.

I went looking for some pork broth to put in a drip pan underl this to turn into gravy, but was completely unable to find any pork broth. Do they make it? How do you guys make pork gravy? Is this not a thing?

I have never seen pork broth, you have to make it from scratch. Just like making chicken stock, bones, aromatics, water, simmer. Iā€™d use roasted bones personally, they just give more ā€œporky goodnessā€ so, when you have a bunch of leftover bones (I throw bones in a bag and freeze them until I have enough for a batch) Are up a pot and reduce it down, I start in an 8quart pot and go down to about a quart and a half when Iā€™m all done. Itā€™s a lot of time waiting for the stock to reduce but, it is worth the effort.
Iā€™m more likely to make chicken broth, smoked chicken broth or beef but, no reason not to do the same with the pork bones. I think most folks use chicken stock and/or water for pork gravy deglaze with some tawny port reduce that by half, then proceed as you would for any other gravy.
Doggone it, now I want a pork roast with roasted apples and mashed potatoes and gravy! Iā€™m set up with meatball subs, chili and wings for dinner with the family tonight! Too cold to go to the store for a full menu change so, I will just have to wait on the pork project!

Last edited:
Solid advice from Tim. Another way to get porky good gravy would be to the drippings from the pork roast. If you want to catch the drippings, you want to make sure that they don't burn as they would on a flavorizer bar, (or hot coals) so you'd need a pan to catch the drippings, and a plan to keep the pan from getting too hot and burning the drippings when they fall. In a weber kettle, you can put a foil pan right in the middle of the charcoal grate, pile up hot coals on the side, then put about a 1/4 inch of water* in the pan, then of course position the roast on the food grate over the pan. You'll catch the drippings without burning them. If you know how to make a roux, then you can get that going and then and the drippings/mixture to that with other herbs and seasonings to get your gravy. As long as you don't dilute the drippings with too much liquid, you should get the porky flavor.

IMO, water works almost as well as chicken stock, in particular store bought. I am not a fan of buying chicken stock in the store. The any brand of liquid store bought I've ever tried tastes like mostly water, with very little "chicken flavor". I generally get better flavor by making my own with chicken wings, chicken back-bones, or in a pinch I use chicken base powder.

*If you think your water to pork drippings ration seems out of whack when the pork roast is done, no worries, just dump the pan into a pot and evaporate off/reduce the water content. While doing so, you could add more herbs/seasonings, stock base, whatever to adjust the flavor. You can also add onions/garlic/carrots/celery/green peppers to the water drip pan under your roast to kick it up.

Back