First Ever Rack of Pork Cook

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
After advice from you guys here, I picked up this rack of pork.
IMG_20210203_154131.jpg
After more advice from you guys, I started prep first this morning. Cross hatched the fat cap.
IMG_20210213_104228.jpg
Some EVOO, salt, pepper, a good bit of garlic, and a tiny bit of brown mustard.
IMG_20210213_104238.jpg
Got it on with a charcoal basket on both sides (no wood this cook) and a pan with half chicken broth, half water below for gravy. Kettle settled in at 400 for the whole cook.
IMG_20210213_163450.jpg

IMG_20210213_163455.jpg
Hit 133 and I pulled it.
IMG_20210213_190017.jpg

IMG_20210213_190023.jpg

IMG_20210213_190030.jpg

IMG_20210213_190037.jpg
After a 20 minute rest I went to cut. That part did not go as well as everything else. But after a little of a hack job it was service time.
IMG_20210213_190054.jpg
And served with some really really good red skin roasted garlic mashed potatoes (which attempted to steal the show) and green beans.
IMG_20210213_190103.jpg
The gravy was amazing also, but I forgot to get a picture with the gravy added. I was so surprised at how much pork flavor maked it into the gravy.

The pork was amazing, the top three parts where: the cracking which a lot of it come off durning my attempt to cut and we all had some (man was that good), the meat on the ribs bones was one of the best things I have eaten (I gave most away to the family), and the meat around the chin bone which I took for myself. I think the chin bone was a major part of what made it hard to cut, but it was great eating. Some of the chop meat was left for lunch tomorrow!
The taste of the pork and the crust surprised all of us. None of us could believe that it was only seasoned with oil, salt, pepper, and garlic. It tastes like so much more went into making the flavor profile and the texture. My aunt, who came over for dinner and cookie making after, said it was the best thing she has had off the grill from me. The fork full of the pork, the mashed potatoes, and the gravy was pretty special. The final two pictures do not do the meat justices, gives me room for improved!

Winner!! Nice job, Michael! If you do another one of these, just ask the butcher to remove the chine bone for you, it'll definitely make the carving easier. Your description of the crispy fat, and the meat around the bones reminds me exactly why I love to make these! :)

R

Awesome cook Mike! Glad to see it worked out so nicely. I would've set the kettle up the same way. I may need to give that a go sometime soon. Did you get a little bit of smoke flavor from the charcoal? I did a pork roast using that same method a long time ago, using just Kingsford original and was really surprised by the amount of good smoke flavor I got. I'm pretty sure Kingsford has changed their formula since then, so curious to hear your thoughts on that. Of course, I'm inviting a briquette hater to chime in here, but we can let them hate, atnd that's OK ;)

On the first world slicing problem; Even if you have a good chef's knife, or long serrated bread knife, I think these types of knives are just better for slicing large cuts of meat such as rib roasts, briskets, turkey breasts, and etc.. I got one for good friend and he's a big fan too. The least expensive one on amazon is about $20 or so, and as long as you have a sharpener and don't slice giant hunk's o meat every day I think a cheaper model is the way to go here's a link if you wanna check it out. Carving Knife

My dogs are acting up, I gotta go :ROFLMAO:

WIN_20210214_09_26_25_Pro.jpg

Looks like you are doing it pretty much the way I would have so,👍!
One suggestion, cut the fat into smaller diamonds, I think they seem to stay attached to the sliced portion.
I agree about a good knife.
I picked up a big slicer for about $30 (I think) from Amazon some time back and it’s very nice when doing large projects like this or brisket etc..
BA043C17-888C-43DC-86CB-CFFD04095F9D.jpeg

Did you get a little bit of smoke flavor from the charcoal?
The two reasons I went charcoal only were for my wife and my aunt. My aunt does not enjoy the heavy wood smoke from the bbq. At Thanksgiving she said who would do that to a perfectly good turkey (I did a whole bird in the over and a breast in the WSM). And my wife who last time I made gravy with a full chicken in the same set up on the kettle and some pecan wood she said the chicken was amazing, but that to much smoke got into the stock that I made the gravy out of.
So to try to please the crowd, I decided to go just charcoal and just RO Chef's Select because it is the mildest briquettes I have ever used.
Now with all that being said, yes you could absolutely tell that both the roast and the gravy was cook over charcoal, but it was nowhere near the flavor of that whole chicken and gravy I made a little while back (I thought that was the best gravy I have ever had). Also, as I said in my original post, the flavor profile of the pork was special with very simple seasoning and I know the mild smoke flavor that the charcoal added was a big part of that. When I do this again I don't think I will add any wood either. My wife was really happy with the gravy and my aunt was happy with the whole meal, so it paid off for the crowd I was serving.
On the first world slicing problem
As for the slicing, I need a good slicing knife and I put the one you recommend on my wish list, I keep saying I am going to do a brisket here soon and I need to get that knife before I take that leap. But the issue with last night was my lack of paying close enough attention to the meat. After really checking the meat out I really thought I was going to be able to cut through the chine bone the same way as the rib bones, that was not true. By the time I realized that I was beyond repair. After I took the chine bone off I was able to get a little better knife work in there. If I were to have taken the chine bone off first I think it would have been a very different experience.

Winner!! Nice job, Michael! If you do another one of these, just ask the butcher to remove the chine bone for you, it'll definitely make the carving easier. Your description of the crispy fat, and the meat around the bones reminds me exactly why I love to make these! :)

R
I am torn on the chine bone, the meat on both sides of that bone was wow! Almost the texture of pulled pork, but man did it reck me in cutting. I think next time I will keep the chine bone on again and cut it off first. If that does not go well, then I think I will ask for it to be removed. What do you think about that.
Next question, my daughter was asking about what a rack of loin back ribs with the same simple seasoning would taste like. Would it create that same flavor profile? I said I think I major part of the taste was how the fat rendered. I have always done ribs with traditional bbq rubs. What do you guys think?

Have the butcher cut the chine bone off, it’s just easier all the way around. With the chine bone off you are simply cutting chops!
The other option would be to remove the loin from the entire rib cage after cooking, long, thin (fillet) knife would to that nicely. Not necessarily the way I’d do it but, it is an option.
Order the knife now, you will not regret it, just go on!
Yes, I’m an enabler...here to be sure!

Awesome cook Mike! Glad to see it worked out so nicely. I would've set the kettle up the same way. I may need to give that a go sometime soon. Did you get a little bit of smoke flavor from the charcoal? I did a pork roast using that same method a long time ago, using just Kingsford original and was really surprised by the amount of good smoke flavor I got. I'm pretty sure Kingsford has changed their formula since then, so curious to hear your thoughts on that. Of course, I'm inviting a briquette hater to chime in here, but we can let them hate, atnd that's OK ;)

On the first world slicing problem; Even if you have a good chef's knife, or long serrated bread knife, I think these types of knives are just better for slicing large cuts of meat such as rib roasts, briskets, turkey breasts, and etc.. I got one for good friend and he's a big fan too. The least expensive one on amazon is about $20 or so, and as long as you have a sharpener and don't slice giant hunk's o meat every day I think a cheaper model is the way to go here's a link if you wanna check it out. Carving Knife

My dogs are acting up, I gotta go :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 22691
Nice dogs, oops!

Roasted pork, mashed and green beans. Makes for a wonderful combo. I can just imagine the flavor with the pork gravy. Love the plate Michael.

Really nice, Michael!

I've found that a cold chisel and hammer/sledge can make quick work of the chine if the goal is to serve the slices with the ribs attached. Otherwise, cutting the meat off the bones as Tim suggested is the way to go.

Michael, I buy Knorr pork bouillon cubes to make a broth for the gravy when do a pork roast on the rotisserie. Not always available in my supermarket but is at my Asian food store.
Yeah, I could not find pork broth or bouillon anywhere. I saved/frozed the bones from this cook to make stock to use when I do this meal again.
Roasted pork, mashed and green beans. Makes for a wonderful combo. I can just imagine the flavor with the pork gravy. Love the plate Michael.
My favorite part of these photos was the color change in the "broth", I was worried the gravy would be bland or chicken-ie, but it wasn't. I was also worried it would be fatty but it wasn't. I love a good gravy, I am excited about making some stock from these bones and using it the next time I make this meal.

Really nice, Michael!

I've found that a cold chisel and hammer/sledge can make quick work of the chine if the goal is to serve the slices with the ribs attached. Otherwise, cutting the meat off the bones as Tim suggested is the way to go.
That is such a great idea!

Back