Genesis Redhead 1100 "Diamondplate Edition" Restoration

My 1999 1000LX I bought new has the durawood. But the product brochure for the LX series was printed in 1996, I wonder if the LX series had the durawood starting in 1996 and the non LX used wood slats.
Interesting thing about durawood the brochure says that they are made from 100% recycled plastic milk cartoons.

My 1999 1000LX I bought new has the durawood. But the product brochure for the LX series was printed in 1996, I wonder if the LX series had the durawood starting in 1996 and the non LX used wood slats.
Interesting thing about durawood the brochure says that they are made from 100% recycled plastic milk cartoons.

I registered the recent one I bought the 1100 maybe its an LX I think these manuals might have been generic not real sure. When I called to register the lady told me it was from 1998 they sent me the manual and for sure it looks like wood which mine is wood on the left side and wood on the bottom shelf.

My Greenhead 1000 LX from 1997 (I believe the tag says 12/97) has the durawood.

My Red 1000 has the stained grey wood, but I don't have the information on when it was made as the tag has been sun-bleached.

My Greenhead 1000 LX from 1997 (I believe the tag says 12/97) has the durawood.

My Red 1000 has the stained grey wood, but I don't have the information on when it was made as the tag has been sun-bleached.

My first 1000 is 1996 that has real wood and the 1100 I picked up a few weeks ago is the gray painted wood and that one is 1998.

Mine has the gray painted wood as well. I should say it HAD the gray wood, the only remnant of it was under the end caps. That is one part that probably won't be going back to original.

I too, think I will be losing the grey wood, and probably losing the durawood on the 1000LX as well.

Thinking a nice light stain on the Greenhead and a nice dark redwood stain on the Redhead.

I too, think I will be losing the grey wood, and probably losing the durawood on the 1000LX as well.

Thinking a nice light stain on the Greenhead and a nice dark redwood stain on the Redhead.

Ryan, feel free to give me the Durawood pieces once you've replaced them with the wood slats. ;)

Appearance wise, the worst part of my grill were the lid end caps, so I figured I'd start with dressing them up a bit. Someone had painted them several times, and some of the paint was bubling and flaking.

IMG_1932.jpg

I've seen some posts were people sanded them but mentioned its tough to keep the texture, so I tried out some paint stripper.

IMG_1938.jpg

It did a decent job, but there was still quite a bit around the edges, which is where it needed the most attention. So I decided to go nuclear and break out the sand blaster...

IMG_1968.jpg

And THAT was the result I was looking for.

I also took a few minutes to clean the frame. I was hoping that under all the dirt it would be in nice shape, but it looks bad enough I've decided it's going to need a repaint too.

IMG_1973.jpg

I have only “Needed” a sandblaster a few times but, when I needed it I didn’t have access to one and I can’t justify the expense. Three times in twenty some years, no way could I sell that to my wife!

I dont think those end caps were ever repainted. They look pretty typical of the end caps I see on my grills. But yah, blasting or grinding is the best way to take off the old paint and crud. I wish I had a sand blasting setup.

You can probably get away with some spot sanding on the frame and then a repaint. Good luck, it looks like you have a good start.

IMG_1968.jpg

And THAT was the result I was looking for.

I would like to see a setup of your sandblaster operation. I have highly considered making the investment.
However, that cabinets seem to be too small to accommodate a firebox, but some type of enclosure is a must to
keep from wasting all the blast medium.

I have a sandblaster and was just thinking it would be nifty to try out on the grills.

My green 1000 has a frame with similar paint peeling that I think would be a good candidate for sandblasting.

I have only “Needed” a sandblaster a few times but, when I needed it I didn’t have access to one and I can’t justify the expense. Three times in twenty some years, no way could I sell that to my wife!

I dont think those end caps were ever repainted. They look pretty typical of the end caps I see on my grills. But yah, blasting or grinding is the best way to take off the old paint and crud. I wish I had a sand blasting setup.

You can probably get away with some spot sanding on the frame and then a repaint. Good luck, it looks like you have a good start.

I would like to see a setup of your sandblaster operation. I have highly considered making the investment.
However, that cabinets seem to be too small to accommodate a firebox, but some type of enclosure is a must to
keep from wasting all the blast medium.

05.jpg

Mine is a portable outdoor unit. Not at all professional level, but perfect for the kind of stuff I do. I checked and they still sell this model for $62.

https://www.sears.com/craftsman-50-...SellerId=Sears&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

I wish I could say I didn't need it because its not exactly a pleasure to use, but about 4 times a year it comes in very handy. I just use sand from Home Depot, not the fancy blasting media.

Last edited:
05.jpg

Mine is a portable outdoor unit. Not at all professional level, but perfect for the kind of stuff I do. I checked and they still sell this model for $62.

https://www.sears.com/craftsman-50-...SellerId=Sears&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

I wish I could say I didn't need it because its not exactly a pleasure to use, but about 4 times a year it comes in very handy. I just use sand from Home Depot, not the fancy blasting media.

I have a very similar one from Harbor Freight. I too, just use regular old sand. Seems to work fine for what I generally use it for (sandblasting small car parts).
I will try it on my endcaps for my green 1000.

I have a very similar one from Harbor Freight. I too, just use regular old sand. Seems to work fine for what I generally use it for (sandblasting small car parts).
I will try it on my endcaps for my green 1000.

In my opinion it was worth the effort. Now if you decide to do the fire box.... we'll see you in 8 hours :D

I am curious about the amount of time and sand needed to do this. Can I do 2 end caps and a firebox with a couple of bags of sand
in an hour with no recovery system? Will it take 20 bags and all day? Somewhere in the middle?

I think to do a firebox and do it well it will take a lot of time and probably a fair amount of sand as the firebox has a lot of nooks and crannies.
If you paired the sandblasting with manual grinder/cup brush removal, I think you would have good results.

To do just the endcaps I don't think it would be much time or sand.

Back