Genesis Redhead 1100 "Diamondplate Edition" Restoration

Hi everyone,
Sorry I haven't updated in a while, I guess I was out using my grill :) It's prime time grilling season in AZ right now - in July not so much. I'll try to get some pics to show how the various decals and such have held up since I completed my restoration. Most of the things I tried have held up, a few haven't.
More to come soon,
Joel

Hey Joel you must be down in Phoenix area because in my part of AZ in sure ain't prime grilling time up here, now July will be prime grilling time for us. Been in Phoenix and Glendale to pick up some restoration grills in August and it was so hot I think charcoal would self light if left in the sun.:p

Great to hear from you Joel! Very interested to see your findings. I used your templates you generously shared to HSBR my printer make some on vinyl decal paper. So far so good on my grills.

Hi guys amazing info on this thread. Thanks. Any chance I could get the PDF file of the serial number decal so I can modify and add the details of my genesis 1000? I know a jpeg was posted but after a higher resolution to actual size. Thanks in advance 👍

I found this Genesis 1100 earlier this year on OfferUp. It was $100 which may have been a little high, but at the time there was a shortage of Redheads with wood slats. Plus it was almost* fully functional.

01.jpg

02.jpg
The igniter is long gone, and someone was kind enough to cover it with a piece of diamond plate screwed through the control panel :(

09.jpg
No rust, but the Arizona heat is not kind to plastic.

04.jpg
Only missing 1 flavorizer bar, but I'll be replacing them anyway

05.jpg
So I dubbed it the "Diamond Plate" edition.

06.jpg
I thought it was just to cover the broken igniter, but come to find out there is a hollowed out space for a house key. I guess the previous owner was forgetful with his keys but still managed to have a phillips screwdriver on him?

07.jpg
Disassembly went pretty well. I stopped the fame at this point as I figured it would be easier to clean upright.

08.jpg
Only snapped 1 bolt! Now just have to figure out where to go next. The lid looks to be in nice condition save for some flat black overspray. The biggest problem I see will trying to find a replacement control panel. Seems like any NOS units are long gone. Lots of cleaning to do in the meantime...

Hello all! So glad to se the forum is alive and kickin'. I've received several messages over time informing me that my links are all DEAD. I'm working on a way to fix that- I see that you can now add photos directly to the posts. Not sure if there is a way to edit old posts? I tried the search but didn't come across any easy ways. For now I'm trying out this method so any time travelers from the future will be able to view them.

I'll continue to update the photos if there is interest, but by far the most requests I got were for the art files I re-created. I was finally able to locate them and will post them below.
PLEASE USE THEM RESPONSIBLY
What I mean is - you have received them for free so we'd better not see them for sale on Etsy or Ebay.
Lecture over :)

The Control Surface Cover
control surface cover.jpg
LP Danger Label
lp danger.jpg

Tank Scale
tank scale.jpg

Serial Number Decal
serial plate.jpg

I'm using the "Attach files" button, so somewhere in this post should be 4 links to 4 PDFs - all in vector art format for you to enjoy.
Best of luck!

Attachments

• control surface cover.pdf
    314.7 KB · Views: 11
  • lp danger.pdf
    384.4 KB · Views: 9
  • serial plate.pdf
    393.4 KB · Views: 11
  • tank scale.pdf
    53.6 KB · Views: 8
I'll continue to update the photos if there is interest, but by far the most requests I got were for the art files I re-created. I was finally able to locate them and will post them below.
What I mean is - you have received them for free so we'd better not see them for sale on Etsy or Ebay.

View attachment 93075
LP Danger Label
View attachment 93076

Tank Scale
View attachment 93077

Serial Number Decal
View attachment 93078

I'm using the "Attach files" button, so somewhere in this post should be 4 links to 4 PDFs - all in vector art format for you to enjoy.
Best of luck!
Joel,

Glad to have you back on TVWBB!

So very nice of you to share all these files again. I hope using them responsibly includes my efforts to have them printed on vinyl peel and stick sheets. I made your Warning and Fuel Gauge ones (plus a few I made myself) in enough quantity to share with members for the whopping price of a buck each, two bucks for the first one to cover postage. Whenever asked, I have always tried to give you credit for sharing the files. If, in any way, you don't feel this meets "responsibly" please let me know. It is obviously not a money-maker. I was just trying to make an easy way for someone who just wanted a small number of stickers for restores or for their personal grills to get them easily and economically.

Jon

Joel,

So very nice of you to share all these files again. I hope using them responsibly includes my efforts to have them printed on vinyl peel and stick sheets. I made your Warning and Fuel Gauge ones (plus a few I made myself) in enough quantity to share with members for the whopping price of a buck each, two bucks for the first one to cover postage. Whenever asked, I have always tried to give you credit for sharing the files. If, in any way, you don't feel this meets "responsibly" please let me know. It is obviously not a money-maker. I was just trying to make an easy way for someone who just wanted a small number of stickers for restores or for their personal grills to get them easily and economically.

Jon
Haha,
Yes Jon of course your use of them is perfectly acceptable. Nothing makes me happier than to see people helping out each other & keeping their stuff alive and in prime condition. Exactly the reason why I created them.

I was speaking from experience on other forums (and other projects) where stickers I provided for free have shown up for $50 on Ebay, etc. I even had one instance of an attempt to sell me back my own stickers :ROFLMAO:

What can you do?

View attachment 93075
LP Danger Label
View attachment 93076

Tank Scale
View attachment 93077

Serial Number Decal
View attachment 93078

Best of luck!
Can the serial number decal be made so that we can add or fill in the boxes for model number , serial number, etc.?

I’m
Can the serial number decal be made so that we can add or fill in the boxes for model number , serial number, etc.?
I have remade Joel’s S/N sticker in Adobe Illustrator since the Hevetica font is not available anymore. I used the logos he created and created new artwork.

After much photoshop CSI work on a high res scan of my fadded sticker I recovered all the numbers.

Ordered a new sticker from Matt Blast over at GarageJournal today as someone on this forum suggested to see his work on old grinder labels. This guy is amazing and uses the right equipment to last vs sign shop. Will share when my sticker arrives.

I messaged Joel, just waiting for his blessing to share my Joel replica version here.

Can someone tell me how to link other file formats on this forum?

I’m

I have remade Joel’s S/N sticker in Adobe Illustrator since the Hevetica font is not available anymore. I used the logos he created and created new artwork.

After much photoshop CSI work on a high res scan of my fadded sticker I recovered all the numbers.

Ordered a new sticker from Matt Blast over at GarageJournal today as someone on this forum suggested to see his work on old grinder labels. This guy is amazing and uses the right equipment to last vs sign shop. Will share when my sticker arrives.

I messaged Joel, just waiting for his blessing to share my Joel replica version here.

Can someone tell me how to link other file formats on this forum?
Mark,
I have found that if you hold a UV light up to the faded sticker, the numbers become readable. It has worked for me a couple of times.

Mark,
I have found that if you hold a UV light up to the faded sticker, the numbers become readable. It has worked for me a couple of times.
Here is the decal in blank form - in case for some inconceivable reason you didn't want my grills info on your plate :D

For reference, the size of the label is 6.875" x 1.125"

Hi res JPG below, vector PDF attached
serial plate blank- outlined.jpg

Attachments

• serial plate blank- outlined.pdf
    592.3 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for all the feedback everyone!
I was fine with the $100, especially since the 3 previous craigslist finds were gone by the time the seller responded.

I wish I had posted here sooner about the control panel! I had previously bought one off of eBay, which arrived damaged from shipping. So of course I did the most logical thing... I bought another one off eBay. Shockingly, it was also damaged in shipping. I was beginning to think I was destined to have the diamond plate holes forever. But thanks to this board it looks like I have a lead on a good one now.

Speaking of the control panel, my serial number decal on the side of it has long since been turned to a blank white rectangle.

01.jpg

By trade I'm a mediocre graphic designer, so I took a shot a re-creating it. Chris has a post at

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?70576-Deciphering-Old-Weber-Gas-Grill-Serial-Numbers

That has a pretty good photo of one, although some of text is a little hard to make out.

02.jpg

Here is what I came up with. I was able to pull some art from the online manual, which was good because there was very little reference for the old American Gas Association logo.

View attachment 16151

Maybe some friends with decals still in tact can take a look and see if they notice anything incorrect with the text?
Original Post with photos replaced

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!
I was fine with the $100, especially since the 3 previous craigslist finds were gone by the time the seller responded.

I wish I had posted here sooner about the control panel! I had previously bought one off of eBay, which arrived damaged from shipping. So of course I did the most logical thing... I bought another one off eBay. Shockingly, it was also damaged in shipping. I was beginning to think I was destined to have the diamond plate holes forever. But thanks to this board it looks like I have a lead on a good one now.

Speaking of the control panel, my serial number decal on the side of it has long since been turned to a blank white rectangle.
01.jpg

By trade I'm a mediocre graphic designer, so I took a shot a re-creating it. Chris has a post at

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?70576-Deciphering-Old-Weber-Gas-Grill-Serial-Numbers

That has a pretty good photo of one, although some of text is a little hard to make out.
02.jpg

Here is what I came up with. I was able to pull some art from the online manual, which was good because there was very little reference for the old American Gas Association logo.
03.jpg

Maybe some friends with decals still in tact can take a look and see if they notice anything incorrect with the text?

Joel,

Jon

Jon would you consider printing the serial sticker with the proper information added ?

Back