Genesis Platinum C

Yep, the actual "frame" is all stainless. But the cabinet sides, back and bottom are regular steel and the only weak spot on the whole grill. If Weber had made those parts out of stainless, they would be virtually indestructible grills. But, then they would have probably been $200-$300 more in price as well.
I sometimes wonder why Weber didn't just go ahead and make a fully SS grill and charge the extra $300 for it. But, then I think that those would likely be the last grills those customers ever buy. I think most companies build "planned obsolecence" into their products.
You may be on to something, yes I have an all stainless steel grill… except for that cookbox that can’t be replaced. Yet, they just replaced the lid assembly.

The cook box can be replaced with any Silver B/C grill cook box. There are still tons of them out there if you find the need to replace yours.

No way. Just grab one off a curb alert silver B. They are the same cook box except that the Platinum is painted gray and the Silvers are painted black. Silver B grills are on CL and FB MP all the time for $50 or less.

Just one thing, a heads up. The table extensions on this series of grills has a weak spot, a spot-welded coupler that connects the table extension to the main frame. It is easily broken by man-handling the grill, lifting the grill by the table end-caps. When that happens, the tables sag (the "dropsies"). Not a big deal, the repair is easy, but most people do it with a single screw, which doesn't do much (it's a pivot with a single screw), but my point is that, if you don't break it, it won't need to be repaired. You can easily replace a steel framed table extension from a donor grill, but donor grills for the SS frames are much less readily available. Don't lift the grill by the tables. Take the tables off and stick a dowel or broom handle inside the frame if you need to move it. Just sayin' that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure and all that.

Just one thing, a heads up. The table extensions on this series of grills has a weak spot, a spot-welded coupler that connects the table extension to the main frame. It is easily broken by man-handling the grill, lifting the grill by the table end-caps. When that happens, the tables sag (the "dropsies"). Not a big deal, the repair is easy, but most people do it with a single screw, which doesn't do much (it's a pivot with a single screw), but my point is that, if you don't break it, it won't need to be repaired. You can easily replace a steel framed table extension from a donor grill, but donor grills for the SS frames are much less readily available. Don't lift the grill by the tables. Take the tables off and stick a dowel or broom handle inside the frame if you need to move it. Just sayin' that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure and all that.
Ed,
That IS another weak spot, but man having those extensions made out of stainless instead of regular steel will save you a LOT of grief from rust. Most Silvers I have worked on have had the end cap frozen on to those extensions due to rust and rust everywhere on those short tubes.

I have done the repair using a stainless sheet metal screw when I used to have a Platinum. Not perfect but definitely an improvement. Our friend @Bruce is getting pretty good with welding, so he can fix them properly!

Ed,
That IS another weak spot, but man having those extensions made out of stainless instead of regular steel will save you a LOT of grief from rust. Most Silvers I have worked on have had the end cap frozen on to those extensions due to rust and rust everywhere on those short tubes.

I have done the repair using a stainless sheet metal screw when I used to have a Platinum. Not perfect but definitely an improvement. Our friend @Bruce is getting pretty good with welding, so he can fix them properly!
Just trying to point out that, with the SS Platinums, replacing parts with parts from a donor is probably not an option. Better not to break them in the first place, if you can avoid it.

Bottom line: Don't transport the grill by carrying it stretcher-style. Wheelbarrow-style is not a good idea, either. It wasn't designed for that.

On my personal platinum I actually welded those extensions directly on.
I can't think of a good reason why not, if you have the skill and the tools to do it! Welding seems not to be an option for many people, though.

Last edited:
Hey fellas. Thanks for the interest. Yes, drove down to Seattle today with a buddy and picked up the Platinum. Felt bad for the family that was giving it away. They had ordered a brand new Genesis and the husband was looking forward to putting it together today but it arrived broken. I'd driven two hours to get there and would have felt terrible if he said he no longer was willing to give this one away. I asked if he had regrets but he just smiled and made clear he had no intention of keeping the old one.

I'm attaching a bunch of photos. As expected, the bottom is completely rusted out. I'm wondering how to create new bottom rails to hold the cart together. I'm not a metal fabricator so it would have to be fairly straight forward. If there's a rack I can get from an old Silver or Gold, that would be fine. Clearly it needs something to maintain structural integrity at the bottom (as Bruce and others were discussing) once the panels are removed.

The good news is it was in good enough shape to cook on tonight and the result was awesome. Way better than on my Char Broiler. Of course my seven year old son rejected the outer part of the chicken breasts because he likes what he's used to. But man, they were seared on the outside and moist on the inside. An amazing result I didn't even know was possible. It cooked really evenly too.

The middle burner didn't seem to work. I could hear it light but it wasn't producing obvious flame so I'll have to figure that out. The ingniter needs to be replaced, no big deal. Obviously the cabinet needs work. The drip tray was missing so I borrowed the tray from my 1000.

The last owner told me he replaced the grills. They're stainless. I don't know how good they are. He also replaced the flavorizer bars a couple of years back. I've not yet inspected them. I have the missing door. It doesn't attach because of the platform damage and my inclination it to remove them anyway. I prefer the open cart look.

Unlike the 100, which is still sitting in pieces, this one was in good enough shape to fire right up. I've not been working on the 1000 because I first needed to recover from minor surgery and since I've felt well enough it's been really cold out. Keep thinking about getting out there and will soon. Meanwhile, I finally have a working (if not optimized) Genesis.

By the way, with just two burners fired, it got up to 500 (and a bit over) fast. IMG_20220109_200425.jpgIMG_20220109_200432.jpgIMG_20220109_200510.jpgIMG_20220109_200524.jpgIMG_20220109_200555.jpgIMG_20220109_201855.jpg

Those grates that you have looks like they are the channel grates. They are stainless and hollow. If they are still in one piece (welds are still good) then they should still be good. Also, I see a propane tank on the left side...is that an extra one and is there one on the right side that's hanging and hidden behind the folding table and swing door? All in all it looks like you scored yourself a nice forever grill after it's rehabbed. The wire rack needed for the grill is from a Weber Genesis Gold C (weber 60145). Unfortunately that item is discontinued so be on the lookout for that type of grill for the rack. Here are a couple off of ebay...

Those grates that you have looks like they are the channel grates. They are stainless and hollow. If they are still in one piece (welds are still good) then they should still be good. Also, I see a propane tank on the left side...is that an extra one and is there one on the right side that's hanging and hidden behind the folding table and swing door? All in all it looks like you scored yourself a nice forever grill after it's rehabbed. The wire rack needed for the grill is from a Weber Genesis Gold C (weber 60145). Unfortunately that item is discontinued so be on the lookout for that type of grill for the rack. Here are a couple off of ebay...

Yes, that's an extra tank. The tank in use is hanging from the right. The scale seems to stick. Will have to find out how to fix it.

Thanks for the info. Will keep my eyes out for a Gold C. Why does it need to be a C? Is it because this is a Platinum C?

Yah, as long as it's from a Silver or Gold C (2002-2004 I believe, in 2005 Weber used the closed cabinet with the cheap metal solid bottom that rusts) then you should be good. The ones from the B are too short. I have one on my 05 Platinum C and it fits like a glove.

Would this one work?

It's a long drive but it has the wire rack and some other parts that would be helpful for at least the Platinum. Perhaps a few would work for the 1000 too (drip tray, knob)

Please tell me more about the grates? How do they stack up, being stainless and hollow?

Back