Genesis Platinum C

Roy, I heat those plastic wheel caps slightly with a heat gun and then pry them off with a large screwdriver. This leaves the grip ring to be pried off as well. I have been able to reuse the plastic caps this way because when I used pliers I damaged the plastic too badly.
The emphasis is on “ heat slightly” as you can melt them easily. Good luck on whichever method you use.
Do you use a hair dryer or a heat gun? The heat gun obviously puts out way more heat so I imagine you really would have to be careful. In addition to the device used, how long and how closely do you hold the heat gut to the wheel cap?

Found this youtube video but it's for a kettle grill

Doesn't seem to be the right one. Can't find anything for our grills or that seems similar.

My Platinum is getting darn close to being fully done.

View attachment 46266

Waiting for Steve's friend to prepare and send me a new mahogany handle. I'm fixing another one but it will go on the 2000. Really like the way the lid turned out and the way the bottom deck blends the gray of the side panels together with the color of the lid. My wife says it's a masculine design. I thought that appropriate.

Here it is from a few feet back. Pardon the mess on the deck. With five grills in various stages of restoration, things are not tidy. Still trying to clean it up a bit. The sideboards and looking better. The wheels still look like hell. Would love to know how hard it is to take them off. I'd like to soak them in bleach overnight. Please let me know how it's done.

View attachment 46267

A few closeups to show how beautiful the end caps turned out, courtesy of Tom's gift of high temperature paint. The firebox too, though none of my photos are shot from an angle which would show that.

View attachment 46268View attachment 46269View attachment 46270View attachment 46271
Wheels come off easy, replaced mine with Broil King wheels, a definite upgrade.

Attachments

• D821A0EE-FECC-4F4D-B5AD-0F815A23A692.jpeg
    D821A0EE-FECC-4F4D-B5AD-0F815A23A692.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 7
Found this youtube video but it's for a kettle grill

Doesn't seem to be the right one. Can't find anything for our grills or that seems similar.
This is essentially what I do except I heat the plastic so it pops off easier with less damage. I use a heat gun but a hair dryer might do just as well and you won’t have to fear melting it. The wider the screwdriver the better IMHO.

Thanks everyone. Will try that, Richard. I have a heat gun so I'll just hit it lightly, as you suggested.

What about Broil King wheels are better? And in what way is it helpful to have them. I'm just rolling it around on my deck every now and again, mostly because I'm working on it. When cooking, it sits in one place. The wheels seem more than adequate. If there's an upgrade that would be helpful it would be to have a break or stop on the other wheels (the little ones) that works. When I try to lock them in place, nothing happens.

Thanks everyone. Will try that, Richard. I have a heat gun so I'll just hit it lightly, as you suggested.

What about Broil King wheels are better? And in what way is it helpful to have them. I'm just rolling it around on my deck every now and again, mostly because I'm working on it. When cooking, it sits in one place. The wheels seem more than adequate. If there's an upgrade that would be helpful it would be to have a break or stop on the other wheels (the little ones) that works. When I try to lock them in place, nothing happens.
The locks on the casters(little wheels) have a tendency to break over the years. If they still work otherwise, it might not be a big deal to you.

The locks on the casters(little wheels) have a tendency to break over the years. If they still work otherwise, it might not be a big deal to you.
Not a huge deal but it would be nice to be able to lock the grill in place every now and then. Perhaps one of the other grills has a good set that can be swapped.

For clarity, we’re talking about the 8” wheels when referring to the superiority of Broil King wheels vs Weber. The Broil King are heavier, sturdier, and actually feature a rubber tread instead of being a chintzy, all plastic wheel. Best of all, they’re cheaper too. FWIW - I think they look a lot better on the Platinum C’s than the W’s, too. Don’t get me wrong, there’s a proper time and place for the Weber logo’d whitewalls (1000-5000 series, in particular). While we’re at it, I still don’t know what Weber was thinking when they introduced the later flower petal patterned wheels. Those things should’ve been left on the drawing room floor.
https://www.grillparts.com/broil-king/signet-sovereign-parts.asp?product_id=10892-8NG
BC1B6295-DC02-4B67-B2AB-DAE266482EFD.jpeg

Last edited:
Somewhere ( I think it was Bruce) showed how to take them apart and clean them, but its tedious and time consuming.
I think Bruce also had a link for new aftermarket casters that looked identical and were half the price of the Weber version

For clarity, we’re talking about the 8” wheels when referring to the superiority of Broil King wheels vs Weber. The Broil King are heavier, sturdier, and actually feature a rubber tread instead of being a chintzy, all plastic wheel. Best of all, they’re cheaper too. FWIW - I think they look a lot better on the Platinum C’s than the W’s, too. Don’t get me wrong, there’s a proper time and place for the Weber logo’d whitewalls (1000-5000 series, in particular). While we’re at it, I still don’t know what Weber was thinking when they introduced the later flower petal patterned wheels. Those things should’ve been left on the drawing room floor.
https://www.grillparts.com/broil-king/signet-sovereign-parts.asp?product_id=10892-8NG
View attachment 46296
You mean these? Ugliest things ever!Screenshot_20220228-182348_Chrome.jpg

Back