Genesis Platinum C

Just sent you a PM, Samuel. This old Summit has been sitting for a while. The guy is asking $75. I'm thinking we might offer $50 and split it. I'd keep the grates. You'd get the side burner. I'd scrap the frame unless I feel like taking the time to repurpose it to another grill, like my friend did. Perhaps extend it and get it working with my 2000 -- or maybe not.

I'd drive down to get it and transport it back. You'd pay for postage for whichever parts you want. Either the whole side burner or just grate and other thingamajig.

Just sent you a PM, Samuel. This old Summit has been sitting for a while. The guy is asking $75. I'm thinking we might offer $50 and split it. I'd keep the grates. You'd get the side burner. I'd scrap the frame unless I feel like taking the time to repurpose it to another grill, like my friend did. Perhaps extend it and get it working with my 2000 -- or maybe not.

I'd drive down to get it and transport it back. You'd pay for postage for whichever parts you want. Either the whole side burner or just grate and other thingamajig.
Yes I will do that I sent you a PM.

No sense in starting another thread, so I’ll update the saga of my latest Platinum C here as well. I though I found an original floor pan for replacement but after having wrong components shipped to me twice, both the vendor and I have given up. That leaves me with fabricating my own fix with the goal of having a functional enclosed cabinet in the end. I went with aluminum z-brackets and flat bar along with stainless hardware for my fix and topped it off with composite decking. I selected the z-bars and deck carefully so that I could set my heights appropriately to be able to re-use the doors if I choose. I had to notch the z-bars as well to achieve this but “measure twice, cut once” kept me on track through that. My OEM end panels are good but I was still able to pick 1 of them up as NOS and will be replacing it accordingly. My back panel showed rot from the inside out that I only noticed after full disassembly so I cut 1-1/4” off the bottom of it and primed / painted the bare steel. I’m going to wrap that edge with some car door edge molding and fill the missing space in with aluminum flat bar attached to the frame. Take note of the bolt heads going through the bottom of the z-bars for the new bottom cross pieces. I laid out the position of those bolts very carefully to actually hold the composite decking in place. The underside of the decking is grooved and the heads fit in there snugly. It’s still a long way from done, but here are some progress pics to get us this far....

Attachments

• 8BC2E228-29FF-49E8-BD32-6556ACFF36F2.jpeg
    8BC2E228-29FF-49E8-BD32-6556ACFF36F2.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 586B297A-54EB-486C-8771-99BF7964C58E.jpeg
    586B297A-54EB-486C-8771-99BF7964C58E.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 3E79D4FB-A05E-403D-9BC1-998D1CA50EA8.jpeg
    3E79D4FB-A05E-403D-9BC1-998D1CA50EA8.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 18
You are correct. No welds....just a good bit of cautious planning, cutting, and hole making.
Yesterday, as we were picking up grills, my friend who knows a lot about welding and metal fabrication, told me that welding stainless is challenging and, unless done right, can destroy the qualities that make the steel resistant to rust. So unless one knows how and has the equipment, and uses the correct supplies, it makes no sense. He spoke of needing a special solder, and needing to regulate temperature and then cool it slowly by immersing in oil.

What I took from his comments is that amateur welders would do well to avoid stainless. Note that despite having the knowledge and equipment, his efforts to adapt the Summit frame to the 1000 box have not included any efforts to weld. Just a strategic use of stainless bolts of various kinds. Some with nuts and washers, some self tapping.

IDK about destroying the ability to resist rust. But, given his cautions I would have to say correctumundo and agree. Of course this coming from a guy who could never figure out welding :D

IDK about destroying the ability to resist rust. But, given his cautions I would have to say correctumundo and agree. Of course this coming from a guy who could never figure out welding :D
Yes, if my friend shows up here, he can speak for himself. He's helped me with several projects and his knowledge, expertise and attention to detail is impressive. Did some really fine work in rebuilding my front deck, which turned out awesome. He's a cabinet maker by trade but also an artist and artisan who is skilled in several media. That's not my thing, as I'm an attorney. But my father had similar skills, having grown up in his father's factory. So I grew up watching my dad do all sorts of projects with effortlessness when he wanted to go fast and attention to detail when he wanted it just right, and I greatly admire those sorts of skills.

Tom, that bracket on the right side for the igniter looks black in the photo. Is it black painted regular steel or stainless?

Yes, if my friend shows up here, he can speak for himself. He's helped me with several projects and his knowledge, expertise and attention to detail is impressive. Did some really fine work in rebuilding my front deck, which turned out awesome. He's a cabinet maker by trade but also an artist and artisan who is skilled in several media. That's not my thing, as I'm an attorney. But my father had similar skills, having grown up in his father's factory. So I grew up watching my dad do all sorts of projects with effortlessness when he wanted to go fast and attention to detail when he wanted it just right, and I greatly admire those sorts of skills.
Yep, these are the kind of people that are so good to have as friends. IDK anyone here who does this type of thing. My friend in England could but sadly thanks to so many snafus from the US, he had to go back to the UK :(

Tom, that bracket on the right side for the igniter looks black in the photo. Is it black painted regular steel or stainless?
The bracket is stainless but filthy. I haven’t done any cleaning on it yet.

Last edited:
I’m right there with you. It’s a missing link in my skill set and one that I have never had an opportunity to learn.

Panels have been reattached. They’ll have to come back off for cleaning and some finish work before final assembly, but the mock-up is complete for now. I sure hope the Broil King wheels get here soon. This thing is starting to take on some weight as it comes back together and I’m getting tired of popping the decking in and out every time I want to spin it around.

Attachments

• 9BBAD07F-3806-4D23-8E35-721BF6E2E121.jpeg
    9BBAD07F-3806-4D23-8E35-721BF6E2E121.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 15
Panels have been reattached. They’ll have to come back off for cleaning and some finish work before final assembly, but the mock-up is complete for now. I sure hope the Broil King wheels get here soon. This thing is starting to take on some weight as it comes back together and I’m getting tired of popping the decking in and out every time I want to spin it around.
Beautiful work. Really professional looking.

Back