Genesis 1000 Redhead Restoration

Man, that is one detailed restore. Very nice. That looks like one happy turkey in it's new home.

I am very fortunate to have a great hardware store near my office. McFadden-Dale Industrial Hardware. It's a small regional chain with stores in Orange County, inland SoCal, Vegas, and Phoenix. I was able get a stainless axle and all the stainless hardware I needed at a reasonable price. Here's the stainless manifold mounting bolts.

9DAE4BF6-BEBA-483A-860F-753D849A5FBE.jpeg

The tank scale support needed some love. So I polished the axle and got some new push nuts.

18417E8D-5996-4672-8065-72FCF69CEA7A.jpeg
AA10D1ED-7FBA-4B8F-9C3C-FCB8E04B03CA.jpeg
363B4BB8-263E-4166-95AA-7690DE27D3CD.jpeg
46261B73-5E25-4CAE-AB66-44F9A5CFBCDD.jpeg

That's a tour de force on how to restore a classic Genesis. You didn't miss a beat! AWESOME JOB on that; I am sure it will give you years and years of great service - along with lots of well-deserved compliments! :coolkettle:

So how do we "tag" these to add to our Sticky on grill restorations?

That's a tour de force on how to restore a classic Genesis. You didn't miss a beat! AWESOME JOB on that; I am sure it will give you years and years of great service - along with lots of well-deserved compliments! :coolkettle:

So how do we "tag" these to add to our Sticky on grill restorations?
Thanks Jon!
I still have more to post. I'll finish it tonight.

As for tags, I have it tagged Genesis 1000 and Restored Genesis 1000-5000. Are there other tags I should apply? The new software has the ability to edit tags.

Next up was the tank scale. I took it apart, soaked it and all the hardware in POR15, sanded down the rough spots and repainted it. I put the grey vinyl end cap of the scale indicator back on the wand and then painted it red. I didn't take any before or during pictures. Here is the finished scale installed:
IMG_3258.JPG

A big thanks to Joel Young for his work on the tank scale decals and serial number decals. Following his lead, I printed them on matte vinyl sticker stock and then sprayed them with clear coat.
IMG_3257.JPG

IMG_3282.JPG

IMG_3286.JPG

I used the control panel off of the black Genesis just because it had the style of decal that Joel reproduced.

There was a thread last year about painting the grey control knobs black for a nicer look. My painting skills stink, so I bought new ones in black. They are Weber part No. 9133 Control knobs Spirit 3B 09 and Weber Part No. 87679 Black Rocker Switch/Bracket Assembly for Some 2005 Genesis Silver A/B/C.

IMG_3285.JPG

Putting the shelves together was one of the final tasks. Thanks to Dave in KC for the penny trick, though mine took 9 pennies between each slat. My grill originally came with the wire rack on the bottom, but I love the look of the wood slats. So I ordered some Z bars from Dave Santana (RCPlanebuyer) along with the flavorizers and grates. Since I was replacing all the hardware with stainless, I decided to leave Dave's stainless Z bars unpainted.

IMG_3267.JPG

I could not find stainless bolts that I liked to mount the handle. So I cleaned and polished the old bolts, then hit them with a high-temp clear coat to keep them looking like stainless.
fullsizeoutput_2be.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2bf.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2c2.jpeg

IMG_3293.JPG

Here's the results of the bread test:

fullsizeoutput_2c3.jpeg

And it looks good next to my WSM22 on its new Harbor Freight cart.
IMG_3462.JPG

My wife is weaving a pair of heavy duty placemats for the side shelves. I'll post a pic when they're finished.
IMG_3471.JPG

Thank you again to everyone in the gasser forum!

You Genesis will be cooking away long after the newly bought ones have been kicked to the curb for the trash man.
It looks a lot better too!

Very nice job!

Gerry

Amazing work, you took a derelict and made a new grill out of it. Certainty a lot of work and time but the end result was worth it.

Yep, you missed a spot of dust on the control panel.

:ROFLMAO:
Even though I've used it twice and it is now outside on the patio, I still dust it almost every day.

You Genesis will be cooking away long after the newly bought ones have been kicked to the curb for the trash man.
It looks a lot better too!

Very nice job!

Gerry

Thanks Gerry! That's the plan; I'm hoping this is my lifetime grill and I'm somewhere between AARP eligible and Medicare eligible.

One helluva nice looking grill. Looks like it performs as well as it looks
Thanks Larry! That tank scale cleaned up nice.

One interesting thing has happened. I've cooked two rotisserie chickens so far. Since this is the first gasser in our household for over 15 years, I bought two new empty tanks at Costco, but we have an old full tank from a patio heater. I used a new full Costco tank on the initial cook and was able to keep a nice stable 375 with front and rear burners on low. On the second cook I used the old tank (why waste the gas). To get the same temp, the front was on high, rear was on medium and the center was on low. Can an old tank with old gas really make that much of a difference? Should I just release the old gas and dispose of the old tank?

Amazing work, you took a derelict and made a new grill out of it. Certainty a lot of work and time but the end result was worth it.

Thanks Rich! It was a lot of work, which I was expecting, but I didn't think it would take me as long as it did (October to March). I finally get it finished and I can't even show it off to my friends and neighbors. At least I have my fake friends here on TVWBB to show it off to! (Fake friends is my DW's term that she gave to my Redwings friends on another forum I'm on; it's come to mean any virtual friend.)

Nice job! I put those same knobs and igniter switch on my grill.
Thanks Jack! Those knobs really make a big difference. I especially like the faux SS marking; it coordinates well with the SS hardware and Z bars.

Last edited:

Back