From Drab to Fab - Putting together a "How-To" Restoration Guide

Yah, sometimes we get a little to wrapped up in the details. It takes away from the overall satisfaction IMO.

I tend to lean on the Performance side of things, rather than the aesthetics.

Hello Bruce no rush but I sent you a private message. I’m just curious if I’m doing messaging correctly. Can you please confirm if you got it? Thank you very much
Robert

Robert, I did not get it. But, I drafted one and sent it to you if that helps. You should be able to simply reply to it.

Good morning all.
I searched this site and did not see so I was hoping I can seek guidance on a topic.
I am heading down the home stretch of my 1100 Red Head rebuild and I will be putting together the wood slats this weekend.
While I am somewhat clear on the wood below the firebox, can someone offer advice on the part of the side table that goes up and down?
I understand there is 1 zbar on that table and 2 brackets (one at the end and one that holds the bar that slides)
Regarding the bracket at the end, do I just install at the end of the wood, flush?
Regarding the other "slider bracket," to ensure I mount in the right location, do I set something under the table to get the table perpendicular to the ground, crawl under the table with the bracket and mark holes?
My table was in such bad shape when I got it I did not mark any reference points.
Thank you for the help!
Robert

Nice work! I just gave my Genny a little wipe down before I put it in the garage yet easily accessible so I can do a run on the Rotisserie when it gets here!

new to this forum. I bought used platinum genisis about 5 years back (200.00) and didn’t know everyone else ( well atleast you guys😜) had the same ideas about the old Weber’s. Refurbished that one. (now it’s showing it’s age)
not bad for my first try. Now fast forward to last week and found a platinum summit b6 left for dead had most of the parts but set up for NG. SO took it home researched it found the orifices and regulator to convert it to LP and started tearing it apart. To my surprise, it was in great shape even with the porcelain firebox pieces. Still in process but found a patio furniture maker/ restorer around the corner and got the end caps blasted ready to paint. i think that they will look good in the high temp black but not sure on the semigloss or flat route? Also I painted my first set plastic parts(knobs, cart handles, and the edges of the table) on the Genesis and now they are flaking a bit. (A good run, lasted about 4+ years) but this dying sounds like a good option for the plastic pieces. Wold that effect the stainless insert on the side table.
I’ll post more as I go, but really looking to make this my everyday grill so taking my time.
any input is greatly appreciated.
Also, I know now it’s a heresy, but if I can get the summit right I may even sell the genesis after I refurbish it again...
B132383A-1213-4236-8E77-50E031952C21.jpeg5AB52676-4299-4571-9473-2C316AF45697.jpeg9BB0C282-F7FC-4913-80C6-AD32C8C3010D.jpegECB91FAA-EA87-4F70-A70B-BF26470DB572.jpeg8FB3B5F2-8D38-4820-AB46-350CD00C62E8.jpeg

The stainless in the shelves should NOT be affected by the dye. I dye my parts in a stainless pan and it cleans up like new when I am done.

Good luck on the Summit, but just be careful you don't put tooooo much money into it before you know it will be a usable grill. Many have sunk several hundred dollars into them and wound up with a pile of parts.

From what I can see of your Summit, it looks dang nice. Plus it has the stainless cabinet which is awesome. If you can get that thing back into working order for a decent monetary outlay, you will have a great find. One of the big outlays on those things is the Flavorizer bars, but someone recently found a source on Ebay for about half price. Check the recent threads on that if you need those.

The stainless in the shelves should NOT be affected by the dye. I dye my parts in a stainless pan and it cleans up like new when I am done.

Good luck on the Summit, but just be careful you don't put tooooo much money into it before you know it will be a usable grill. Many have sunk several hundred dollars into them and wound up with a pile of parts.

From what I can see of your Summit, it looks dang nice. Plus it has the stainless cabinet which is awesome. If you can get that thing back into working order for a decent monetary outlay, you will have a great find. One of the big outlays on those things is the Flavorizer bars, but someone recently found a source on Ebay for about half price. Check the recent threads on that if you need those.
Thanks,
worst case, the manifold/ valves don’t work 160.00 for a new one. if they are good I’ll have about 300.00 total in it plus labor.
I didn’t mention all the guts are in great shape:
burners( the=screws on the ends are rusted)
flavorizers cleaned up great a bit of pitting no holes
grates perfectgood,D58C54F0-8C97-4C5F-A40C-4D78947900E7.jpegC95AB431-CAB0-473E-80CA-83DFC9956FC6.jpeg

I still need knobs, I have a aftermarket black thermometer

Thanks,
worst case, the manifold/ valves don’t work 160.00 for a new one. if they are good I’ll have about 300.00 total in it plus labor.
I didn’t mention all the guts are in great shape:
burners( the=screws on the ends are rusted)
flavorizers cleaned up great a bit of pitting no holes
grates perfectgood,View attachment 17726View attachment 17727

I still need knobs, I have a aftermarket black thermometer
Before you put to much work and money know the fire box are rust magnets and are next to unavailable at any cost. I would look very carefully at the front of the fire box. Take it from someone "burned" by Weber

Before you put to much work and money know the fire box are rust magnets and are next to unavailable at any cost. I would look very carefully at the front of the fire box. Take it from someone "burned" by Weber
yes I agree, so far I’ve had good experiences with Weber services. But I also took measurements of the porcelain panels so I can remake them in stainless when the time comes as long as burners stay available I can either make or have made most other things.
there is a bit of rust but only on extreme edges. This is after clean up obviously, but I think it looks good?
58F91C50-1424-41D8-9CED-B065D67A72A2.jpeg
on the off chance it doesn’t work out, I can always sell all the parts...that should at least cover or minimize the cash out

yes I agree, so far I’ve had good experiences with Weber services. But I also took measurements of the porcelain panels so I can remake them in stainless when the time comes as long as burners stay available I can either make or have made most other things.
there is a bit of rust but only on extreme edges. This is after clean up obviously, but I think it looks good?
View attachment 17751
on the off chance it doesn’t work out, I can always sell all the parts...that should at least cover or minimize the cash out
You can make that stuff?! Well there are MANY 1st and 2nd gen Summit owners (or who would like to own) that would fall all over themselves for that. I would have been one of the first in line! Especially after Weber left me hanging with a grill "in warranty" and declared "sorry we don't have parts to repair your in warranty $1500 grill" Talk about a kick in the teeth!
Now Jon has my old Summit

Yes! I am interested. I am planning on looking into it around me, but it would be great if we had someone here on our board who could fabricate these parts. (y)

You can make that stuff?! Well there are MANY 1st and 2nd gen Summit owners (or who would like to own) that would fall all over themselves for that. I would have been one of the first in line! Especially after Weber left me hanging with a grill "in warranty" and declared "sorry we don't have parts to repair your in warranty $1500 grill" Talk about a kick in the teeth!
Now Jon has my old Summit
Doing it old school is how I learned sheet metal work. a few different jigs, blocks. and hammers. If I can find a small manual break that would speed it up drastically.... But I’d have to farm out the back piece ( too many Bends) or maybe make it in overlapping pieces? probably not too cheap to buy, but if you buy a pre cut sheet(6” x 40” front Piece( for a 6 burner))of 316 one at a time, make one then, Do the next. maybe worth it?
I still need to get mine back together with the original pieces and see it work before I start down that path.
My original pieces are in pretty good shape right now but I’ll dig into the possibilities and start a new post on them after all that.

New to this forum and congratulations for the nice thread.
I have a Genesis II E310 that I am doing a deep clean to the cookbox. I used a steamer with Round brush kit with brass bristles and realised that I got too deep on the metal. I think that there was a coating on the inside of the cookbox with had some texture to it and now it is smooth.
Is it bad for food to have this bare aluminum heating? What should I do? Should I season it with some vegetable oil?

Thats how it is now
IMG_20210328_142326.jpg

And how it looks as new
weber4.jpg.3a745cf21000f293141a402e0bf1e0cc.jpg

Back