From Drab to Fab - Putting together a "How-To" Restoration Guide

I have two out behind my shed
I found a donor grill and I’m going to get it tomorrow morning. What makes me nervous is it looks like it’s a genesis 1000 it happens to be a redhead. However it has a wire rack on the bottom and I just don’t see how my wood slats would go where that wire rack would be because there’s a crossbar going down the middle.

Hello Bruce
Do you know if Home Depot or Lowe’s has replacement “star nuts” that go inside the 2 frame connector’s? Mine rusted out and I am stuck until this gets fixed. Thanks!

Hello
Thank you Bruce. The fittings work great. Can you or anyone else tell me the size bolts for the manifold (2)? I had to drill them out. Thanks!

1 1/2" long x 1/4" stainless steel bolt for the manifold. The cook box bolt on the other side is also 1/4" stainless, but 2" long. I would love to see some pictures of the work.

Hello,

Curious. My manifold bolts are on and bolted tight to the cookbox. The lone "cookbox bolt" is also tightly fastened, However, my burners still can slide back and forth to the manifold and are not tight. I can also lift them easily off the guide bolts in the cookbox. Is this normal?
I pushed the manifold against my new burner tubes but they barely go in. They do not slide in and have the "nubs" disappear into the burner tubes. Is this normal?

Thanks!

Robert, you should not be able to pull the valve out of the burners when everything is installed correctly. Are you sure you don't have a Silver B manifold instead of a Genesis 1000?

The manifold bolts are attached to the firebox. There are wing nuts used to attach the bracket to the bolts. The screws inside the firebox should not be removed as they are likely rusted in place. Just use them as a guide for the burner tubes. If the manifold is barely in the burner tubes, then slide the tube a bit more towards the manifold. To have the burner tubes a little loose is normal.

I apologize. I did not set my burner tubes under the washers of the guide bolts. My mistake. I loosened the manifold bolts, slid the burners under the washers and all is tight. Thank you

Thank you PaulD for putting all these reference points together, I've been following & using this info for my '95 vintage Weber "Red Head" restoration project. It's coming together nicely & I'll have finish photos soon, but if I do this correctly, you'll see a few photos of what I began with here >>https://i.imgur.com/gSiuBlg.jpg

Last edited:
Supplement to earlier post.....another photo.....
cMxqHWB.jpg

Back