From Drab to Fab - Putting together a "How-To" Restoration Guide

I thought that liner on the inside of the Genesis II grills is stainless steel so no problem there. Even if they did switch to aluminum over Stainless in the generation II grills, your entire cook box is aluminum, so if aluminum in grills was a problem, there would be a whole lot of problems out there. The real issue with aluminum is cooking directly on it. So you are good there.

I think it's cast aluminum, based on what I've seen online. Do you think that the aluminum was anodised and I've removed the protective coating? (Sorry for my bad English)

I don't think the liner would be cast aluminum. Maybe sheet aluminum, but cast aluminum is melted aluminum poured into a mold. That is thin sheet aluminum or other metal unless I am totally wrong about what we are looking at.

In the “that’s how it is now” picture, that is the back of the cast aluminum firebox. The firebox has no coating on the interior. So bare metal is ok.

Bruce, the hood is more like a shroud

Attachments

• 98717B4C-12CA-48AF-909F-D360B5D28EAA.jpeg
    98717B4C-12CA-48AF-909F-D360B5D28EAA.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 18
  • A92B0AD0-358C-4DB7-899D-A5B76333AE45.jpeg
    A92B0AD0-358C-4DB7-899D-A5B76333AE45.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 18
BPratt, thanks.
OH, yah, I see it now. I have my rehab cookboxes completely sandblasted clean. No problem with bare aluminum in the cook box.

I don't think the liner would be cast aluminum. Maybe sheet aluminum, but cast aluminum is melted aluminum poured into a mold. That is thin sheet aluminum or other metal unless I am totally wrong about what we are looking at.
Here it says that fire box is cast aluminum.
I don't know, I'm really confused with all these terms 😳

This is a great thread and it is helping with my current restoration of a Silver B.

I've read the comments not to paint inside parts and appreciate that, but had a question about the bottom side of the slide out grill bottom pan.

Can that / should that be painted? It looks like it is porcelain. Would it be OK to hit with a coat of the 1200F paint? or should that be left alone?

There are a couple of small rust areas along the back edge that I thought a little paint might slow the decay.

Make sure the paint is high temp and I would recommend Rustoleum high heat ultra semi gloss.

Thanks. Lowes only had Krylon 1200F. Home Depot has Rustoleum, but they are across town so I'm going to try the krylon on the drip pan as an experiment first.

I thought I would post this pic, and question here.

I swapped in a firebox that was structurally better than my orig, but the paint on the replacement firebox was in pretty bad shape. I chose to just clean it and paint it and put it back together for now and improve on it later..

Are there any tips to adding texture back to the firebox? The paint I used was Krylon 1200F from lowes.

edit: I chose to not paint the frame at this time because the krylon paint was too flat. as soon as I get some of the ultra I'll touch the frame up.

20210606_154049.jpg

Last edited:
Some have luck with Rustoleum High Heat in a can and applied with a roller to create some texture. Otherwise, you are looking at having to completely strip the outside of the cook box to make it uniform.

I thought I would post this pic, and question here.

I swapped in a firebox that was structurally better than my orig, but the paint on the replacement firebox was in pretty bad shape. I chose to just clean it and paint it and put it back together for now and improve on it later..

Are there any tips to adding texture back to the firebox? The paint I used was Krylon 1200F from lowes.

(edit:) and I chose to not paint the frame at this time because the krylon paint was too flat. as soon as I get some of the ultra I'll touch the frame up.

View attachment 29752
Bruce's way is always the best :) way but there is a middle option of giving it a fairly good sanding with some 180 and / or 220 grit and then painting. It will smooth it out and be less noticeable.

Thanks Bruce. I hadn't thought to look for the high temp paint in a can. I'm going to give it a try using a roller. The "good news" is I can experiment with the end caps from the other as it is in equally bad shape as the firebox.

I found the paint in a can and thought I'd link it. Their find a retailer shows its available about 90 mins away so I ordered a can from amazon.

20210607_093737.jpg

Any suggestions for restoring the "painted" doors on a Genesis E-320 that I thought would clean up easy like the porcelain?

Also any tips or products to use on the polished stainless trim and brushed stainless side tables?

Back