Fresh Italian Sausage

CLasko

TVWBB Pro
Hey there! Going along with my jump into making my own bacon, I've been dabbling in making my own sausages. A week or so ago, I got together with a buddy of mine who was curious about making Italian sausages, so I said for sure I'd love to try it as I've only done brats to date. Spent a Saturday and cranked out about 30lbs of different variations of Italians. Was a ton of fun and we've been getting great feedback from family and friends!

Curiously I haven't gotten any pics of them cooked. I guess they just go too fast haha. If you haven't, you absolutely should give it a try.

First things first, made a snack of wings seasoned with Pork Mafia BistecMafia:

49487941841_2c3655a55b_z.jpg

Grinding up and seasoning a batch with fresh garlic, parsley, and wine. (We seasoned ourselves with quite a bit of wine as well):

49487945106_22fc9cb253_z.jpg

Four variations: Regular Italian, Hot Italian, Fresh garlic/Parsley/red wine, Fennel and Anise.

49487945771_1403028656_z.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Lasko

Those sausages look outstanding. I'd really like to try the garlic, parsley, wine variety. You did a great job on forming uniform links. That still poses a challenge to me after dabbling with them for three years. Nice post. Your rub on the wings sounds interesting too.

That sausage looks perfect! I've got to try making Italian sausage. I might get my wife on board for that one.

C, that sausage looks like it came from a skilled butcher. Abe Froman is no longer the sausage king of Chicago.

Thanks for all the positive feedback. Seriously, if you haven’t tried it you should. It’s pretty easy and they’re that good.

Grotz...so funny you should mention that because we said the same thing when we were test frying some patties to taste!! Hahaha

Looks great.
I haven't made sausage in 15 years or so, but I used to really like making it.

Now I'm not going to mention this directed at you, but before anybody new attempts to make sausage they should understand that grinding meat and exposing all that surface area increases the growth potential for botulism and bacteria by million fold. Cleanliness is mandatory, sterilizing all surfaces with bleach is mandatory, and even adding nitrite isn't a bad idea.....

(I dont eat anyone elses homemade jerky or sausage)

Last edited:
Looks great.
I haven't made sausage in 15 years or so, but I used to really like making it.

Now I'm not going to mention this directed at you, but before anybody new attempts to make sausage they should understand that grinding meat and exposing all that surface area increases the growth potential for botulism and bacteria by million fold. Cleanliness is mandatory, sterilizing all surfaces with bleach is mandatory, and even adding nitrite isn't a bad idea.....

(I dont eat anyone elses homemade jerky or sausage)

Absolutely agree with you. I’m a bit of a stickler about that myself. 2 most important tenets I’ve always heard: Keep it cold and keep it clean!

Back