Free Broilermaster

Bruce,
I think you snagged a great deal - a FREE Broilmaster, of course, but also a great deal on what looks like a very nice burner.

These grills can really crank out the heat! I think they would do some great steaks, especially with the multi-level grates set down low, but the design also lends itself to being a gas version of the PK charcoal grill. You can set up easily for indirect low n slow bbq. Use a good smoker box or tube and you may not even miss the charcoal!

Jon: Did you have any BM grills with the square thermometer? I am not seeing any direct replacements for it. Just a round one or there are some square ones, but they only go up to 600 degrees.

Yeah, the ones I had were square and I think that 600 was the limit. The new Broilmaster grills have round thermometers that fit on the old grills. Are you set on getting a square one because of the historic aspect of your grill? I may have one leftover, but I would need to test it. I got a black square one just like the original Broilmaster used except for the color that I put on my Sunbeam. It was pretty cheap. I can look that up if you are interested.

I guess I would like to stay as close to original as possible. But if the round ones will work, that would be fine, I guess. Any sources for them would be welcom.

The one on the grill seems pretty accurate. It got up to about what I expected, but it is showing age that I cannot clean or fix. I saw the square black ones, and I guess that would be good to. Really no need to have readings over 600. If you are cooking that high, 650 or 700 isn't a big difference.

20200811 BroilMaster - After (12).JPG20200811 BroilMaster - After (15).JPG20200811 BroilMaster - After (16).JPG20200811 BroilMaster - After (17).JPG20200811 BroilMaster - After (20).JPG20200811 BroilMaster - After (21).JPG

Attachments

• 20200811 BroilMaster - After (16).JPG
    20200811 BroilMaster - After (16).JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200811 BroilMaster - After (17).JPG
    20200811 BroilMaster - After (17).JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200811 BroilMaster - After (20).JPG
    20200811 BroilMaster - After (20).JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200811 BroilMaster - After (21).JPG
    20200811 BroilMaster - After (21).JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 2
Bruce,
That's another pearl and a feather in your cap for venturing a little down a rabbit trail. Not so bad when you consider that Broilmaster is one of the last companies still making grills here in the USA. I hope you do REALLY well selling that one!

p.s. Are those new cast iron grates?

No, the grates are CI. I don't know, but I assuming they are original. I soaked them in a bath of Sams CLub grill cleaner over night and 90% of the gunk came right off. A little elbow grease and I have them at about 97%.

Is there a way to tell if they are original or not?

Beautiful work, Bruce! I admire your craftsmanship. What does that little lever to the left that is coming out of the cookbox do?

Ed, that is there so you can prop the lid open. It has two settings. Used if you need lower temps than the grill puts out. Better idea than using a screwdriver to prop our Genesis lids open when needed. haha

They are original. I just sanded and sealed them with gloss Spar. I am pretty sure they are redwood from back in the 70's when almost all grills used it but before they realized the giant redwoods were disappearing at an alarming rate and it was basically banned. I also did not stain them. I dont know if that color is the actual redwood color or if it is just 45 years of soaked in grease....LOL. But it is pretty cool looking under the Spar gloss.

Yah, it is a reach....and I can just imagine there were a lot of arm and maybe even face burns from reaching down under the cook box to turn it off. BM did move their controls up to the front of the cook box in later years. But, then a 1957 Chevy doesn't have seat belts either, but someone would pay a pretty penny for a nicely restored one. hahaha.
t0sG1c6.jpg

Back