Free Broilermaster

Can someone tell me what this little jog in the coal grate is for?

Usually they come with a hook to lift the grate, that looks like an indent to fit the tool in there to lift it to clean / get underneathe

Yep it looks like a tool space or a lighter space. If you watch Flea Bay you can find aftermarket versions of the larger bow tie burner. Also Amazon. The only CI ones I have ever seen are aftermarket though. BTW I tried both ceramic plates and briquettes and I liked the briquettes better. They somehow gave foods a better more "grilled out" flavor. Just my .02 on that. Actually my father in law had one of these exact grills when I got married. The originals were lava rock. IMO the ceramic briquettes give a nice compromise between excessive flare up and flavor. Yes sir you got yourself a real treasure there Bruce

Larry, do you see a problem with grabbing an aftermarket CI burner for this grill?

No not at all. CI is CI so they will be prone to whatever issues CI are prone to in that environment

I believe the originals were ceramic coated. Not sure these aftermarket ones will be as well.

I just ordered a set from BBQparts.com. I guess I will know in a few days.

Then it really would do no good. The issue is the condensation from heating/cooling and the moisture in the gas itself. So coating the outside is like peeing into a fan to get a shower :D

I suppose. But, it does appear there is a coating on the outside. And, I remember seeing some of the replacements online advertising them being ceramic coated. It sounds good, right???

Then it really would do no good. The issue is the condensation from heating/cooling and the moisture in the gas itself. So coating the outside is like peeing into a fan to get a shower :D

Larry, I found a digital copy of the Warm Morning G3 Broilmaster grill. In it, it states, regarding the burner: "It is constructed of heavy cast iron and coated inside and out with high heat-resistant A-19 porcelain enamel". Not sure if the aftermarket one I have on the way will be that way though.

I am really unsure as to what porcelain enamel is. Since porcelain is a glass coating process. Sounds to me like it was dipped in fancy paint is all.

The one on Q grates is truly ceramic. IOW glass material fired on to the piece. They could never do that to a burner as there is no way to get the glass "dust" inside the burner. It's really just some type of fancy paint honestly. Look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9F9NDeZEVI
What she is sprinkling on is basically powdered colored glass. It is basically what Weber does to porcelain coat the lids. There is no feasible way to do this to the CI burner internally. It could be done externally but to what end? Those burners typically disintegrate from the inside out not the other way around.

Larry, You are probably right, however, those CI burners are two piece and come apart. I would think they could be coated prior to fastening them together. But, you are probably right in that it is just some rinky dink process involving some kind of ceramic that is simply a marketing ploy.

Which ones are 2 piece? The OEM or the aftermarket? You're withholding information on me again.......................:D Answer is YES if the burner(s) are/is 2 piece of course they can be porcelain coated and YES it would help tremendously with longevity. It would also make for much easier cleaning

Sorry Larry: The OEM is two piece for sure. I assumed from my description of trying to open it up that was understood. I never did get it open though. I am not sure if the new one will be two piece, but I don't see how you could cast an iron object that is enclosed but hollow inside without doing it in two pieces. So it would make sense that it is held together by bolts like the OEM unless they just welded the two together.

The OEM is pretty thick and heavy. I assume it is the original factory burner, but who knows for sure. Would a guy expect the CI burner to last longer than a SS one?

Have wondered about those cast iron ones myself. I can tell you that the current stainless “bow tie” burners are 430 stainless and, unlike the grill, made in Taiwan (at least not Communist China). They seem to be very good but certainly don’t last forever - just like Weber burners.

Sorry Larry: The OEM is two piece for sure. I assumed from my description of trying to open it up that was understood. I never did get it open though. I am not sure if the new one will be two piece, but I don't see how you could cast an iron object that is enclosed but hollow inside without doing it in two pieces. So it would make sense that it is held together by bolts like the OEM unless they just welded the two together.

The OEM is pretty thick and heavy. I assume it is the original factory burner, but who knows for sure. Would a guy expect the CI burner to last longer than a SS one?

It's done through a process known as lost wax molding IIRC. Done all the time with things like burners, engines and so on

Cool Larry. I will post some pictures and thoughts of the burners when I get them next week.

Update: I received the new parts today. I pulled everything out and replaced just the burner and fired it up. It ran good. I left it on high (both burners) with no cooking grates or ceramic stones. This is how it heated up.

2 minutes: 375
4 minutes: 440
6 minutes: 480
8 minutes: 530
10 minutes: 560
15 minutes: 610
20 minutes: 645
30 minutes: 670
It was still smoking from burning off the old gunk when I shut it down. I should have put my remote Thermoworks Smoke Thermometer in there to see how that compared to the lid thermometer. A thermometer that is probably 50 years old is not going to be real accurate probably.

Here are some photos of the new burner. It is different than the old one. Does look like it has a coating like some of the Q grill grates. Not the thick porcelain coating but the matte stuff.
It does seem to be two pieces that were welded together. So, no way to clean out the insides on this one.

1Ot8MQX.jpg

7bvMeuI.jpg

Last edited:

Back