For you Kingsford Coal burners

Yeah, saltpeter is natural cow poop is natural, poison ivy is natural but, I’d rather not eat it!
You just haven't had it cooked the right way, that's all.;)

I've been using K-Pro for tailgating the past couple of seasons so I may give the HH a try this year.

Sounds like marketing jibberish to me.

So how would this stuff be any different than the description below of K Pro from Costco (which I like better than KBB). It burns hotter than KBB (true), but it is also good for smokers. So good hot, but also good low/slow. Basically, it has more wood and lower ash (which I like).

If you want it to burn lower and slower, you just restrict the air, right?

Kingsford® Professional Briquets are made in the USA with North American ingredients, 100% natural and premium wood char to ensure professional-quality results. They provide a hotter burn* that’s perfect for searing flavor into any of your favorite meats. They also feature Kingsford’s lowest ash formula, making them great for ceramic grills and smokers. They’re ready to grill on in about 10 minutes, and deliver high heat and a consistent burn time every time. Available in variety of sizes, from 8-lb. to 2x18-lb. bags.
I'm wondering the same thing. How is the high heat stuff any different from K-Pro? Maybe it's just K-Pro re-branded? I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.

Anyway, looking forward to Chris's tests.

Yep, I have a hunch this won’t last very long. Must say, I’ve been very pleased with K-Pro, it’s worked very well for me for a couple of years now. No complaints!

I too have been pleased with K-Pro. I did recently buy a bag of Cowboy because I wanted to grill but didn't want to dig my K-Pro stockpile out of the back of my shed, where it's stored for the winter. Anyway, I was reminded of how much more I liked Stubbs back in the day before I couldn't find it anymore. K-Pro has been easy enough to find at Costco and is way better than the Original KBB when it come to ash production.

That said, I too am looking forward to test results on the new stuff.

I guess that's true. On the extreme other end, I see guys with smokers that costs upwards of 10k complain about the price of brisket. It's just what people do! I watch most of his videos. I wasn't trying to knock him. He just has an affinity for those weird brands of thermometers on Amazon like Dozyant, and what not. Weber probably puts a cheap Chinese thermometer in their grills that probably costs $2, lol.
I've had much better luck with cheap Chinese thermometers of all kinds than with considerably more expensive ones made elsewhere, including the US. That's why I keep using them. If I had the resources to stick with American made products, I definitely would.

I don't have that big a problem with Chinese manufacturing. I do have more of a problem with all the weird knockoffs on Amazon with brand names that seem made up of random letters by an AI or a monkey with a bag of scrabble tiles that have no reputation to try to uphold. But in all seriousness I'll buy that stuff when I have to put I prefer to buy once cry once if I can swing it. And I know it might be hard to pick up from just text but I'm 90% kidding around. And I also hope if one of you catches me taking a drill to my Franklin smoker to install a $7 Amazon thermometer that you'll chloroform me and take me to the nuthouse.

I don't have that big a problem with Chinese manufacturing. I do have more of a problem with all the weird knockoffs on Amazon with brand names that seem made up of random letters by an AI or a monkey with a bag of scrabble tiles that have no reputation to try to uphold. But in all seriousness I'll buy that stuff when I have to put I prefer to buy once cry once if I can swing it. And I know it might be hard to pick up from just text but I'm 90% kidding around. And I also hope if one of you catches me taking a drill to my Franklin smoker to install a $7 Amazon thermometer that you'll chloroform me and take me to the nuthouse.
I don't get the brand names on Amazon either. Identical products with completely different names...ARFUEE?? BuTure?? SOWTECH??

Would love to know what those ingredients are.
The ingredients of original Kingsford are well established and known for many years, and personally confirmed during my visit to the Kingsford R&D facility in Pleasanton, CA back in 2006 and documented in this article:
  • Wood char (Heat source)
  • Mineral char (Heat source)
  • Mineral carbon (Heat source)
  • Limestone (Uniform visual ashing)
  • Starch (Binder)
  • Borax (Press release)
  • Sawdust (Ignition aid)
Newer versions like Kingsford Professional are nothing more than wood char and a starch binder with a pinch of borax as a press release agent.

Have to assume "mineral char and mineral carbon" are basically dinosaur coal basically anthracite which explains (to my nose) the petrochemical "essence" it gives off

I finally got a chance to try out the high heat Kingsford. In this case it was a sous vide steak that I seared off on the Weber kettle. When doing a reverse sear or a sous vide steak you really don't have a lot of time to sear before you are worrying about overcooking the inside. I've tried various charcoals. Ironically, the worst for me was Jealous Devil briquettes. I gotta say, I'm impressed with this High Heat stuff. I seared the ribeye for 4 minutes flipping each minute with the slow n sear and got one of the best sears I've gotten on a charcoal grill.

I only posted out of general interest. What I find so interesting. The bags say, "all natural ingredients". Would love to know what those ingredients are. As I can smell that stuff burning half a block away. Oil refinery comes to mind. :D
Anthracite coal .... Is perfectly natural. It's just not something some of us want in our charcoal. Once lit an assed over Kingsford is fine but the lighting of it is awful. It is the smelliest with the most white smoke. But my biggest complaint with Kingsford and other charcoals is they want them to burn fast for grilling..... And they do.... But by the time you get a whole chimney lit those little bitty coals are almost gone

Anthracite coal .... Is perfectly natural. It's just not something some of us want in our charcoal. Once lit an assed over Kingsford is fine but the lighting of it is awful. It is the smelliest with the most white smoke. But my biggest complaint with Kingsford and other charcoals is they want them to burn fast for grilling..... And they do.... But by the time you get a whole chimney lit those little bitty coals are almost gone

That has often been my complaint, albeit unspoken. I'm still trying to strike the balance, but most of the time I don't wait until the top coals are asshed over. Instead I tend to dump the coals once the nasty white smoke is gone. This usually gets me the heat I need and lets my chimney last "longer" in to the cook.

Need to dump when briquettes on top are just starting to ash over, like this:

View attachment 87676

Yep, that's true for any charcoal IMO. By the time you let the grate preheat and clean it, the coals are all ashed over and rip roaring ready.

Should be able to order online with free delivery from Home Depot. Just checked and they have 65 available for order. Also take a look at Walmart.

Last edited:
Yep, that's true for any charcoal IMO. By the time you let the grate preheat and clean it, the coals are all ashed over and rip roaring ready.

You said it. My problem is that I'm often either too anxious to get started or too distracted elsewhere to get the timing "right"

Back