For you Kingsford Coal burners

This has to be changes in the briquette binders. Observationally, my experience has been that lump burns hotter and faster than briquettes. My [obvious] conclusion is that the binder slows down the burn for a lower temperature and a longer burn time. Changing the binder to either extend the burn time, or shorten it, would be the natural thing to do, *IF* they can rather easily adjust the manufacturing process.

I enjoy Tom Horseman's videos but it always cracks me up how he'll take a grill that cost hundreds of dollars and slap a $7 Chinese thermometer on it.
Don't most of us all do the same? Just the other night I was cooking in a grill worth "hundreds" and using it with a Chinese made Thermoworks Smoke.

I guess that's true. On the extreme other end, I see guys with smokers that costs upwards of 10k complain about the price of brisket. It's just what people do! I watch most of his videos. I wasn't trying to knock him. He just has an affinity for those weird brands of thermometers on Amazon like Dozyant, and what not. Weber probably puts a cheap Chinese thermometer in their grills that probably costs $2, lol.

Sounds like marketing jibberish to me.

So how would this stuff be any different than the description below of K Pro from Costco (which I like better than KBB). It burns hotter than KBB (true), but it is also good for smokers. So good hot, but also good low/slow. Basically, it has more wood and lower ash (which I like).

If you want it to burn lower and slower, you just restrict the air, right?

Kingsford® Professional Briquets are made in the USA with North American ingredients, 100% natural and premium wood char to ensure professional-quality results. They provide a hotter burn* that’s perfect for searing flavor into any of your favorite meats. They also feature Kingsford’s lowest ash formula, making them great for ceramic grills and smokers. They’re ready to grill on in about 10 minutes, and deliver high heat and a consistent burn time every time. Available in variety of sizes, from 8-lb. to 2x18-lb. bags.

It may be rebranded K-pro. Kingsford changes its formulation from time to time. The older stuff would burn a lot longer but not as hot. I would get incredible minion method burns with it. I'm sure they have ways of controlling that with binders and what not.

Just a guess, but I think both the L&S and HH will be clearanced out by end of summer.
Yep, I have a hunch this won’t last very long. Must say, I’ve been very pleased with K-Pro, it’s worked very well for me for a couple of years now. No complaints!

There was at one time a Kingsford Long Burn. I think they are doing some rebranding here, but who knows. Nothing is as ridiculous as all the rebranding that Royal Oak does.

Back