First try at my new diet

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
When I was in the hospital one thing that caught my eye was a roast beef sandwich which was on the heart patience’s menu. Really roast beef.
I had to give that a try. It was roast beef on two slices of toasted cardboard, with no salt low fat mayo and Swiss cheese (very low in fat and sodium) and a slice of tomato. Now I know it doesn’t sound very appetizing and it wasn’t, but the roast beef was very good, moist and tender.
So I called down to the kitchen and talked to the nutritionist and she told me how they keep it moist without any fat.
So here is my take on what they did.

Started by trimming all visible fat off.

Sodium free beef broth mixed with TJs sodium free seasoning.
S1031017_zps47431e50.jpg

Injected mixture into beef cross rib roast roast and let stand one hour
S1031024_zps2a34faee.jpg

Rub outside with Mrs. Dash onion and herb mix
S1031027_zps63c1da80.jpg

Mini set up for a light smoke of hickory and cherry
S1031030_zps435ec32c.jpg

The ever popular KBB white smoke
S1031033_zpse1ed92b4.jpg

Raddy my cooking companion chilling out... literally!
S1031036_zpsa51062e9.jpg

125 and done
S1031041_zps3962642a.jpg

Came out moist and tender with a great flavor.
S1031042_zps62e8eecf.jpg

It's a start and looking forward to more interesting things to try on my LF/LS diet.
Thanks for taking a peak.

Hi rich and barb,food looks very good! Thank you for all your nice comments and look up to you for being strong and continue to give great cooks! I look forward to your cooks!:)

Rich, an idea for you. If you don't already have them, get the Weber Gourmet Grill System. Use the wok for meats and veggies and and they come out tasting great and healthy besides. Food looks great and it is wonderful to see you trying to do it right. Keep up the good work. Just a note, you are encouraging me to get back on my diet and eat right also. I am going to go out and get that grate system soon. Already have a wok that should work and is already seasoned. Thanks.

Looks really good, Rich. You seem to be adjusting well. Good thinking talking to the hospital nutritionist.

I had a heart attack 3 years ago now and the best thing I did in my diet was get rid of the bread and all the extra stuff you don't need. I still eat salt but way way less. I still enjoy all my webers and grilling. My numbers are better than ever. Awesome looking roast beef! I hope it tasted great!

You do what you got to do to keep healthy my friend, that being said you are not sacrificing much with a cook like that. Well done bud

Looks like we'll all be spending more time in the Healthy Grilling forum with cooks like that.
Great looking roast beef Rich!

Rich, an idea for you. If you don't already have them, get the Weber Gourmet Grill System. Use the wok for meats and veggies and and they come out tasting great and healthy besides. Food looks great and it is wonderful to see you trying to do it right. Keep up the good work. Just a note, you are encouraging me to get back on my diet and eat right also. I am going to go out and get that grate system soon. Already have a wok that should work and is already seasoned. Thanks.

I agree with getting the Weber Gourmet System. The wok is great!

Thanks Bob & Adam, I will look into it seems like a good idea.

That roast beef looks perfect Rich. How did you like that seasoning from Trader Joe's?

Bob, It's pretty good, a little bite but not to much. My main reason for using it is it's very fine and works well with the injector.

Back