First time smoking baby back ribs!

Troy S

TVWBB Fan
Oh, and also my first time using my brand new 22" WSM! Yes, I know, I know, I need to add my additional handle! I kinda forgot about it because I was so eager to cook. I watched game one of the Warriors/Cavs NBA Finals Thursday night, went to bed past 12 and woke up at 4:30 Friday morning because I was so excited. Whenever I smoke, I like to stuff the smoker full of stuff. I smoked a bacon-wrapped pork loin, two racks of baby back ribs, a family pack of chicken thighs, some chicken drums and bologna.

But I was most excited about the ribs. I didn't foil them. Just used a dry rub. I spritzed them with a cranberry-apple juice I had (didn't have any apple juice) a few times during the cook. The small rack came off about four hours in. The larger rack took about six hours! I didn't want them fall-off-the-bone tender; I like a little bit of a bite and pull to my ribs, and they came out pretty great! I'm already in love with my brand new Weber Smokey Mountain! Holds temps like a pro! I don't have to "babysit" anymore!

I used apple wood from my apple tree I pruned back in late February along with two little chunks of hickory. Yeah... I used the factory Weber temperature thermometer. Everybody says it's crappy and that it's "between 30-50 degrees off", but it will have to do for now. Everything came out great. My family loved it. If you see the same pics posted on Reddit by somebody named "caffeinespicefiend", that is me!

GZnMBQN.jpg

ejeh9t4.jpg

dRxZDgt.jpg

GYBF42D.jpg

z0u0uPv.jpg

KANqJ80.jpg

Last edited:
See, I told you! This design is well thought out, pretty hard not to have success when the "Bullet" is so well engineered. You have lots of latitude and given your locale, an excellent day for some bluegrass music, and hours spent enjoying a stunning day until the feast comes off! My first run was a loin too, no trouble at all, I did a small one with about half a dozen thighs, the results were raved about!
The good people here held my hand over my first brisket, first butt, first gasser purchase and subsequent (partial) restoration.
There is such generosity shown by folks here, if you get in trouble, the members will help immeasurably in trying to help get you out.

Now that's a smoke ring!

as for your thermometer being "30-50" off, that's probably not true but you could throw an oven thermometer on the grill & see exactly, if you wanted, I just like having the dome thermometers there so I know what it's doing, for consistency.

The field/mountain pic has me wanting to find or make some singletrack trails.

Looks great, Troy. It's obviously not your first rodeo with ribs! :) You've got a great setting there, so my advice to you is to not let anyone know that you don't have to babysit anymore! :)

R

That is one terrific looking cook Troy! The panorama around your property is beautiful. Look forward to seeing many more cooks from you. Ribs look sensational, but that pork loin looks insanely good!

That was a awesome cook and that smoke ring outstanding. Looking forward to seeing more of your cooks.

I sure do appreciate the feedback/comments from everyone. I love this community already!

For those of you who like the view, I took some pictures for y'all yesterday. It ain't BBQ, but hopefully still photos that are a welcome addition!

O9RAr3V.jpg

f8fMfWV.jpg

eGJ6GFI.jpg

kUVNprM.jpg

yOL6FSw.jpg

There's few things prettier than a shiny new WSM. Well except for a perfect rack of ribs! Nice job!

I sure do appreciate the nice comments. Thanks, everybody! Here's to many more successful smokes with this awesome WSM!

Those ribs looks so good...well, actually all of it looks awesome. Give me that food, the fresh air, those surroundings, and a good beer and I'd be a very, very happy guy.

Back