First pork shoulder smoke on WSM

Matthew F.

So, yesterday I decided I would finally have the time to do my first pulled pork smoke on the WSM. I found a good looking recipe for a Hawaiian pork shoulder and decided to go with it. I started out by trimming the shoulder and injecting it with a pineapple juice marinade. After that I rubbed it with a home made pork rub I like.
image_zpsas9pp7dt.jpeg

I put it on the smoker using the minion method around 11pm, temp was holding at 235 with some apple wood chunks for smoke. Hung around and had a few beers until 3am when I spritzed it with some apple juice and napped on the couch. At 6:30am the IT was 165 with a smoker temp of 228. I put the shoulder in a heavy duty pan and poured an apple juice, hot sauce and brown sugar marinade over it, foiled and placed it back on the smoker. At 10:00am the IT reached 203 so I took it off the smoke and it probed like a hot knife going into butter. Wrapped it and I have it sitting in the cooler with a towel wrapped around it as we speak.
Here's the finished project fresh off of the smoker:
image_zpsthjhwgal.jpeg

Looks great Matthew. Look forward to the pull.

I've got a 5lb rolled pork shoulder sitting at 197[SUP]o[/SUP]​f as we speak.

Matthew, that looks fantastic. There's going to be some out of sight sandwiches with that I'm thinking.:eek:

Matthew, great job on your first pork shoulder. Pineapple juice sounds like a great marinade, let us know how it tasted.

That will be delicious. Love the idea of the pineapple. Looking forward to the pulled pics and the plated pics.

Thanks everyone. I smoked it for my niece's 1st birthday party and received nothing but compliments. I even made a sweet and spicy vinegar based pork BBQ sauce from scratch to throw on the sandwiches if need be.
image_zps4ou8zpgx.jpeg

It came out juicy and tender. I was even able to get a decent bark and smoke ring on it. Thanks for the nice remarks everyone.

That's some mighty fine pulled pork Matthew! Did you mop during the cook? Looks mighty moist

Back