First Paella on the Grill (or anywhere!)

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
When we visited Spain a couple of years ago, I was treated to a wonderful paella cooked by our gracious host, and have wanted to make my own ever since. Never got around to it until I dropped by my neighbor's place a couple of weeks ago while he happened to be making paella for a family gathering. So, I ordered a 16" pan, found some good Spanish ingredients, and tonight, I made my first ever paella!

Started out the day by making some chicken stock...here the veggies are in the Instant Pot waiting on the chicken legs that were roasting in the oven (on sale for $.99/lb, so just used those instead of bones):

44292718171_1b1cec3cc3_k.jpg

Liquid gold!

29356622317_f812b34f7e_k.jpg

Mise en place.....from right to left in the order they will go into the pan: chicken thighs (in foil), grated onion & garlic, green beans (couldn't find the flat beans that are traditional), chorizo, lima and white beans, grated tomato and rice (stock not pictured.....):

44292717791_9db407f5c3_k.jpg

Getting some color on:

29356620567_5b21c48c50_k.jpg

Everybody's in the pool:

30425361318_e11bec61e5_k.jpg

......and, done!

29356618647_a4a1ff9ee8_k.jpg

This turned out absolutely fantastic! I could have cooked the paella for another 5-10 minutes, as it was more moist than it should have been. However, the rice was just al dente, and the flavors were astonishingly good. I really can't wait to make another, probably a seafood version next time.

I'll drop a few words about my grill set up here, as I couldn't find ANY details on that topic in my research about paella on the grill. So, I fired up a full Weber chimney of coals, and when they were all going, I dropped them in my 26". I used four baskets on the perimeter to contain the coals in an even layer that would be about the size of my pan. I tossed a few additional briquettes on to fill in some spots that weren't quite covered, and let everything get good and hot. Holding my hand at grate level, this was about a "two second" fire (I could hold my hand there for 2 seconds before I had to pull it away.) I cooked with the lid open the whole time, as it seemed that having a lot of heat the beginning, then letting it naturally cool a bit toward the end would work well (that matched up with videos of fire maintenance I watched from restaurants doing traditional cooks in Valencia.) It worked out very well, and I had just the right amount of heat all the way through without really needing to tinker with the bottom vents at all (which were wide open.)

If you haven't tried this dish, I highly recommend it. If you can make your own stock, you will be well rewarded. Good saffron and Spanish paprika are very important ingredients as well.

Thanks for looking.......I've been keeping an eye on y'all, just haven't had much time to post!

Grill on!

R

Last edited:
That looks outstanding!! Thanks for sharing. On a whim, I saw a cheap $20 pan at Restaurant Depot and pick it up and did basically the same thing you did. The family LOVED it. Like you said, flavors are amazing and I’ve honed in the cook so that I’ve been getting great results with the socorrat on the bottom.

I am allergic to all shellfish, so have looked at other's Paella with mixed feelings. THIS, however, not only looks amazing but flat out doable for us. I just may have to check out a pan, etc. and see about the future of Paella in this household!

Thanks for sharing with us!
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

That's great! Looks delish. Thanks for the post. My father-in-law used to make them and sadly we forgot about them. Kudos for the reminder.

I just had to shuffle past my 18” paella pan (used once in fifteen yearsJ and was saying I need to use it or part with it, this may just be the recipe to get it into service rather that someone else’s hands! That looks marvelous!

Man you nailed that paella. Awesome looking dish and yes we will be trying this in the future.

Looks really good. Real paella isn't something I've tried. Did a mock paella some years ago with orzo pasta instead of rice that was tasty and quick. No sub for the real thing however.

I was in our local Aldi’s Grocery today. They were offering what appeared to be a nice Paella Pan for $9.99. Any that have an Aldi’s close by might want to check...

Keep on smokin’,
Dale53:wsm:

Back