First Grill Restoration

I have seen blockages on my own orifices (main ones screwed into the valves). So yes. Good idea to clean them. As for the secondary fitting. It's for a side burner. On some earlier Weber's they used the 1/8" NPT to 3/8" Flare for fitting a side burner and used the little 1/8" NPT elbow for the regulator. The fitting (the 3/8" one) came with a cap on it. When you bought a side burner it came with the hose that already had the 3/8" flare fitting (female) on it. Take off the cap and connect the burner. EZ PZ

Should I attempt to remove the entire valve from the manifold and take the orface out as well to inspect? Or do you just clean and regrease valves, run a wire in the orface and call it done?

No need to remove the valve from the manifold. I simply remove the orifice and clean it and the area it screws into well

So I had my first meal off of a Weber today. I did a quick refresh on a Genesis 1000 I picked up last week. It already had stainless flavorizer bars. I just put some used burners from a donor grill in it, new igniter and added Qualimetal stainless grates. It’s going to be my “beater” grill while I finish my black Genesis 2000. Steak was delicious.

4EC10EBD-9902-46FF-956D-1F2908AAB9BC.jpegAB1ECED8-EFE9-4ABC-9899-0D23551550A2.jpeg

Also tore down a red Gen 2000 today that I am restoring as a gift for my father in law. I found a guy nearby who does sandblasting so I had him do the inside of the firebox and hood end caps. I want this one to look brand new when I’m finished.
766659C8-E689-42A9-948F-F56D240C2E73.jpeg7EF3A77D-97EA-4533-BAC7-062A23CC4E25.jpegB17A5666-CA04-46EF-824E-C79DFCE583A7.jpegF9DEBE36-8B83-47F3-8325-D4ACE0518EDF.jpeg78ED8177-13E3-4543-8DF2-5A2DC6BA16E0.jpeg

Looks like you are off to a great start and excellent progress. We will enjoy hearing - and seeing - how it comes together.

My schedule has been super crazy so I’ve only had time here and there to work on the 2 restorations. I’ve really been focusing on the red Gen 2000 to get it caught up to speed with the black 2000. I finally got the wood finished and attached to all the “z” bars tonight!

1011618F-5F28-40FE-972F-0A15BE082E4D.jpeg8FEA50D9-6FE3-4E1A-9C19-9882A73B6FD5.jpeg

Wood is probably the biggest part of that rebuild
Yeah it definitely has been time consuming. I did 7 coats of the spar varnish. I’m kind of bummed about how the bottom turned out with the spacing.
This is the first time doing a restore so I didn’t take into account that I needed to leave some space on the outer slats on the bottom so as to avoid the very center looking like one big slat.

I’m giving this red one as a gift, so I probably should have done my first slat install on the black one I’m restoring for myself.
I also couldn’t find much information on the spacing method involving pennies so I just measured and calculated what the spacing would be to make it equal. It didn’t turn out terrible I suppose.

I guess live and learn.

That's a fantastic job you're doing there Steven! Someone is certainly going to be getting one heck of a gift when thats done! Kudos!!

I would have never noticed if you hadn't said something, and even looking right at what you're talking about it looks like it's supposed to be that way. That grill really pops, Steven! Nice work and beautiful craftsmanship.👍

My schedule has been super crazy so I’ve only had time here and there to work on the 2 restorations. I’ve really been focusing on the red Gen 2000 to get it caught up to speed with the black 2000. I finally got the wood finished and attached to all the “z” bars tonight!

View attachment 16354View attachment 16355
Did you replace the wood or is that the original wool refinished? I also agree with all the other comments. You are doing a great job. That grill looks amazing.

Last edited:
Steven,
That grill is definitely something to be proud of, I would never look back. Good Work!

That’s a beauty. On quick glance, it would seem that you have glass cabinet doors on the bottom resembling a 5000. This grill is going to really pop when outdoors. Good job!

Back