First Grill Restoration

Steven Martin

TVWBB Member
Hi all,

new here to the forum and thought I’d post my journey here of my first restoration.

A while ago I started looking for a new grill to replace my 2004 Brinkmann that was a hand-me-down from my father about 6 years ago. Even though I always maintained it and kept it clean, it slowly began to rot away. I always thought it felt flimsy and not super great quality.
Of course after searching the internet I discovered that the older Weber grills were super reliable and had great cooking quality. I contacted a fellow who restored the older Weber’s and after about 23 emails back and fourth, was encouraged to try to locate what I wanted, which was a deep cook box Weber with two prep areas.
I found one locally and paid $50 for it. From what I can tell, it’s a 1995 Genesis 2000.
I picked it up last night and am excited to get started on it!
8B2FF33F-0569-4A8D-9F62-D7EE8E0A7434.jpeg6E21DC90-EDB6-4C6E-A00B-793D5468F54D.jpegE0A8A2DD-B480-4406-A675-7A7BFFF82EB7.jpegD50585A5-A8BE-4159-99AE-32F30D191DEB.jpeg5E25D8BE-935A-40E0-A168-6213BD890F04.jpegE10816C3-BB31-40AB-90FA-10C3E3627DF5.jpeg77C495D4-E6D3-4E3C-A065-9B99DFD01AB5.jpeg

It looks like you have a good base grill to work with. I don't think any of that wood is original, but it does look pretty good. The only real issue I see is what looks like a dent/scratch on the right side of the front of the lid, just to the left of the thermometer. It won't affect the performance at all, but it is like a dent in a car fender, it is just an eye sore. You can try to cover it up with some high heat black spray paint, but, I would look for one from a donor grill. Maybe a pretty colored one.
Look on the right edge of the control panel or underneath it to see if you can find the data sticker. If you can read the serial number, you can find out for sure what year it was.

Steven,
First off welcome to the Forum and it appears you found a nice one to restore in that 2000. Bruce touched on some things and he's right, a donor lid might show up when you least expect it.

Now lets talk about that real issue vintage piece in that pic..the Monte Carlo...1970 I presume?

Jeff

Thanks guys! I was able to find the data sticker. It’s an EO year code. From what I’ve read online, I think it’s a 1995.
The dent is a huge eyesore to me. I will keep my eyes peeled for a good donor grill. However, all I’ve been finding thus far are really nice grills that just need to be cleaned up and I hate cannibalizing things that could be saved. I’m sure one will pop up eventually though.
8616F265-B46E-4F24-9E42-467DED6F2DF6.jpegA114BB74-60D0-4038-8058-633558E4EAC1.jpeg

As for the car... yes, Jeff you are correct. That is a 1970 Monte Carlo. That was my first restoration in all reality. I really enjoy vintage things and making things look like new again. I guess it’s only natural that I’m finding these old Weber’s interesting.

CBB531FA-A51C-4151-8635-2B902294C68F.jpegB3D0D66B-8836-4591-9CB7-BAE0FCEF0643.jpeg

Steven
Even though I'm "only 53" I had an older Brother and grew up around Muscle Cars. My neighbor had a '70 SS Monte Carlo, other neighbor 440 6-pack GTX, and my Brother as well as my
Family and friends were Mopar enthusiasts so there were always Road Runners, 'cudas, GTXs around town with Pontiac Judges, GSXs, 442s" AMXs, too.
I miss the early 80s...

Fun fact on your Monte...if you add up the Latin numbers on the grill badge it signifies the year of the car.
Jeff

By the 80's the muscle car era was well over with. In my opinion, by the mid 70's, it was over. There are a ton of great ones from the mid 60's to the early 70's. My favorites were the late sixties Cameros. My buddy had a 68 Camero with a 327/Turbo 400 and that was a fun car to drive and the girls liked it.

Bruce,
I was refering to the time they were around in my youth...early 80s after the gas crunch,you could pick up a '70 Hemi 'cuda for $7500.
Look what they sell for now.

Jeff

I owned a '87 Turbo T-type that was lightly modified that would embarrass most 60s cars back in the 80s
Jeff.

Last edited:
Oh, yah. I hear you on that. My buddy had that 68 Camero from the late 70's to the early 80's.
Reading all those car models brought back a lot of memories too.

I owned. '87 Turbo T-type that was lightly modified that would embarrass most 60s cars back in the 80s.
Jeff
Sure. It is crazy how HP has progressed. I remember when back in the day, they said if you could get one HP out of every cubic inch, you were doing good. A 350 HP muscle car was pretty darn good. Now, they are coming off the production line at double that in some cases and we are not talking about the Italian sports cars either. We are talking the remakes of the Chargers/Mustangs/Cameros.

We have a couple guys in town with Demons and Redeye's pulling over 800hp.
Crazy times.
Jeff

Is there a specific way I can tackle removing the burners? Looking down into the cook box, the bolt on the left holding the end of the front burner to the cook box is deteriorated and I can’t get a socket on it. It’s just rounding it off. is there a nut on the underside of the cook box that I don’t see?
I was thinking of trying to grind the head off, but it’s super close to the burner tube and I don’t want to ruin the burner tube if I can help it.
Any suggestions?7AE73CF0-DC9B-470D-A65B-E51AA450A8C4.jpeg

Last edited:
That screw holding the burner in is not meant to be removed. What you need to do is take the manifold off on the other end and then pull the burner out that way. I don't know why Weber actually put screws in there because it just seems logical to remove them, but that is not the case.

That screw holding the burner in is not meant to be removed. What you need to do is take the manifold off on the other end and then pull the burner out that way. I don't know why Weber actually put screws in there because it just seems logical to remove them, but that is not the case.

Thanks Bruce!

Question. Will the hood from a Genesis Silver A fit on my Genesis 2000?

the Silver A hood looks way shorter Then the Gen 2000 in the pictures

Nope the lid is much smaller on the Silver A. A silver B hood will fit however.

Late to the party! Looks like a good candidate for a nice restoration. That Monte Carlo jumped out at me, too. I immediately figured that someone who appreciates a classic car like that one will also enjoy restoring and using a classic Weber😎!

Back