First Brisket of the year

Dave_H_TX

It has been a while since I last posted... With the end of the rain and warmer weather arriving in Texas, I officially began the 2015 BBQ season yesterday! Of course being in Texas brisket is a must.

The Prep

I was able to get my hands on a 14lbs whole untrimmed brisket. Took about 2lbs of hard fat off of it and rubbed it down with Worcestershire sauce. Then applied Savory Spice Shop's Native Texan BBQ Rub. This is the first time that I have used this specific rub on a brisket. Normally I make my own but with a 5 month old little boy, "free" time is hard to come by.

After the rub was applied, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and let it sit overnight in the fridge.

taigMyYl.jpg

The Cook

Cooking was pretty straight forward... Target grill temp was 250 and I was going to take the brisket internal temp up to 201. I cook on a Weber 22.5 Gold with the smokenator and a over sized water pan. With this setup and at 250 I am adding charcoal once ever 4 or so hours and water ever 6 hours. I also did a 75/25 of Hickory and Cherry wood for something different. I normally smoke with mesquite, but it seems like I am allergic to the smoke.

At 160 I foiled and added hot mixture of beef broth, Miller Light beer, and Worcestershire. This is also a change from previous, I normally foil around 170. Foiling at 160, at least for this brisket, really powered it thought the stall. Total cook time for what my guess was an 12lbs hunk of meet was right at 10 hours.

On to the grill
Oh8U1Dnl.jpg

Prior to adding secondary meat probe into the flat
4BcKvXal.jpg

The Results
After 3.5 hour rest
SA2sP5dl.jpg

Cutting some flat and the "bend test"
Yc1LgDIl.jpg

Pull test
cm4oTsrl.jpg

Overall it was a very successful start to the season. Very tender and good flavor from the rub. I was a little bit disappointed with the smoke ring and lack of smokey flavor. I think I am going to go back to mesquite for a while.

Brisket looks good! Smoke ring looks fine to me! Awesome job getting cooking a brisket with the smokenator. I've never attempted that long of a cook with one.

Nicely done Dave and I would not change the wood for the smoke ring, especially if you have any allergy to it. Smoke ring is not dependent on the wood per se. Oak is and would be my first choice anyhow.

That tender picture of the slice in your fingers is beautiful. Thank you for all the details. I love knowing how everyone preps, sets up and executes their cooks.

very nice. 4 hours before refill and 6 for water with the smokenator, those are the highest numbers ive seen. how many coals do you add after those 4 hours?

Back